RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,686
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 484
Newest member: Old Man 51

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Gaming

Trek Gaming Program Complete - Enter When Ready.

Old January 3 2011, 04:22 AM   #1
ghoyle1
Lieutenant

TOS Maps for RPG Campaign

I'm planning an RPG campaign set during the TOS time period. I'm using the Risus RPG rules for the game itself, but i'm looking around to all the Trek games and reference books for inspiration. The game will center on an exploratory vessel like the Enterprise.

The main issue I'm pondering is mapping. I know that there was really no official map of Federation, Klingon, and Romulan space during TOS, so I wonder if I need one for my game. I've been looking at maps from lots of different sources, and I'm not quite sure which one captures the feeling of exploring the great unknown that is associated with TOS.

Since the game will probably be episodic in nature, I'm not convinced that I need a map that plots every single location on the Star Trek universe. However, some internal consistency would be nice. Any suggestions or recommendations>

Guy
ghoyle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2011, 07:58 PM   #2
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

Re: TOS Maps for RPG Campaign

ghoyle1 wrote: View Post
I'm planning an RPG campaign set during the TOS time period. I'm using the Risus RPG rules for the game itself, but i'm looking around to all the Trek games and reference books for inspiration. The game will center on an exploratory vessel like the Enterprise.

The main issue I'm pondering is mapping. I know that there was really no official map of Federation, Klingon, and Romulan space during TOS, so I wonder if I need one for my game. I've been looking at maps from lots of different sources, and I'm not quite sure which one captures the feeling of exploring the great unknown that is associated with TOS.

Since the game will probably be episodic in nature, I'm not convinced that I need a map that plots every single location on the Star Trek universe. However, some internal consistency would be nice. Any suggestions or recommendations>

Guy
For TOS reference material, there's always the Star Trek Technical manual (circa 1975 by Franz Joeseph) - Link to Amazon.com offerings of it

This Tech Manual has a Galaxy map as well, that takes into account all the episodes of the original Star Trek.

You want original Enterprise NCC-1701 Blueprints? Try:

Star Trek Blueprints: the Complete Set of 12 Authentic Blueprints of the Fabulous Starship Enterprise General Plans, Constitution Class, U. S. S. Enterprise - Link to Amazon.com offerings

(I still have both, but I got them as gifts back in 1975 )
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2011, 09:03 PM   #3
ghoyle1
Lieutenant

Thanks for the suggestions! (I actually already have both, though...)

Guy
Old January 6 2011, 04:42 AM   #4
Bishop76
Fleet Captain

If you can hunt down any of the old FASA Star Trek RPG material, they had several sourcebooks with maps in them all based on TOS. Their stuff is nowhere near canon any more, but it was all really quite good for the time.
Old January 6 2011, 02:56 PM   #5
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

If you can find it - Star Trek Maps is considered one of the seminal works on the subject, TOS-based. Sounds exactly what you need. I've used that very publication in several RPG campaigns of my own many years ago.
Old January 6 2011, 03:58 PM   #6
ghoyle1
Lieutenant

Sounds great... wish I'd bought it back in 1980, though (I remember seeing it on the shelves; don't remember why I didn't pick it up then.) As it is, I can't afford the collector-level prices. Thanks, I'll put it on the :Buy This Someday" list.