Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate Rough Beasts Of Empire
Outstanding 36 25.53%
Above Average 58 41.13%
Average 25 17.73%
Below Average 13 9.22%
Poor 9 6.38%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 3 2011, 09:45 AM   #106
David R. George III
Writer

Send a message via AIM to David R. George III Send a message via Yahoo to David R. George III
Re: Typhon Pact: Rough Beasts Of Empire review thread

flemm wrote: View Post

ProtoAvatar wrote: View Post

Regarding the Ascendants conflict - it's pretty certain that, at present, there are no plans to conclude the plot-line. The hints regarding the conclusion of the conflict present in RBoE are FAR too obvious.
There is but one hint regarding the conclusion of the Ascendants story line, and I'm pretty sure it does not make that resolution obvious.

JoeZhang wrote: View Post

Defcon wrote: View Post

If I'm not totally mistaken we had two threads on the same book in the past (one with and one without spoiler), so I guess you or anyone interested could start a separate spoiler thread to avoid the whole spoiler tag issue.
Oh, please, no. I mean, thanks for the suggestion, but this thread is more than enough for me.

Smellincoffee wrote: View Post

Just finished reading this a few moments ago. With respect to David Mack, this may be my favorite of the Typhon Pact books so far. I'm biased, of course, being a Sisko fan (and a Niner).

I probably would have read this in one setting, but I prefer to only read one Trek book a week, and so I stopped myself last week from finishing this. Fortunately DRGIII put a nice, convienent Part 2 divider in there. I never had to force myself to read...in fact, it constantly tempted me every time I saw it, and once I started I didn't particularly want to stop. The only other book I've read by this author has been Provenance of Shadows, which I also enjoyed, but not as much as this. I'll have to add him to my ever-lengthening list of Trek authors whose upcoming releases I wait for.
Thanks very much for the kind words. I'm always gratified when I manage to satisfy a reader.

Truth wrote: View Post

Fair enough on the generalizing.
I'm guessing that I probably have greater access to reader reaction to my book than you do, but maybe not. Either way, I think it's unreasonable to generalize the overall readership's reaction from anything seen online or even heard from friends and acquaintances. The percentage of television viewers who watched Deep Space Nine (or any of the Trek shows) was relatively small, and the percentage of those who read the books is far smaller. And the percentage of those readers who post online is pushing infinitesimal.

I've gotten a great deal of praise for a lot of my work over the years, and some amount of negative reactions as well. I try very hard not to trust either. Don't get me wrong; I much prefer hearing cheers than jeers. But at the end of the day, I have to make my own judgments about my work.

Truth wrote: View Post

S/N why a galaxy class?
For my taste, I feel that their is too great a tendency for writers to continually invent new starship classes (and also new alien races). I certainly have created my own, but I prefer to utilize the existing universe. I settled on a Galaxy-class vessel because it would immediately provide a recognizable frame of reference for readers.

JD wrote: View Post

ATimson wrote: View Post

David R. George III wrote: View Post
I guess I'm not seeing the difference here, but I'll defer to you.

Ah. Then I guess you'll just have to take my word for it.

YubYubCommander wrote: View Post

Two thumbs WAY up. I loved the book Mr George.
Mr. George? Is my grandfather posting here again? Please, call me David.

And thank you. I always enjoy hearing that a reader enjoyed my work.

On Facebook
David R. George III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2011, 11:09 AM   #107
ProtoAvatar
Fleet Captain

David R. George III wrote: View Post
It's a shame: the Ascendants really do need to be developed. And what has happened to the Dominion?
Regarding the Ascendants conflict - it's pretty certain that, at present, there are no plans to conclude the plot-line. The hints regarding the conclusion of the conflict present in RBoE are FAR too obvious.
There is but one hint regarding the conclusion of the Ascendants story line, and I'm pretty sure it does not make that resolution obvious.

ProtoAvatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2011, 03:14 PM   #108
Truth
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Love it or hate it you have done what a writer is suppose to do, which is get their attention, which is the point i suppose, but i have always been intrested in were the writer is trying to go, so i actually hope you do write the next one. Plus i agree it is great you actually take time out to interact with the fans, something that most writer leave to some agent to set up normal with a stacks off books right next to them so they can sell you
Truth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2011, 04:50 PM   #109
JD
Admiral

Actually, nowadays quite a few authors do interact with the fans on their official sites. This is just one of the few unofficial sites that has so much author/fan interaction on it. I think there might be some on theforce.net on the Star Wars side of things, but that's about it as far as I know.
Old January 3 2011, 06:28 PM   #110
flemm
Fleet Captain

Last edited by flemm; January 4 2011 at 03:18 AM.
flemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2011, 07:23 PM   #111
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2011, 09:34 PM   #112
Enterprise1981
Rear Admiral

View Enterprise1981's Twitter Profile

So how does RBoE compare with Zero Sum Game in terms of spoilers? It seems interesting that Sisko is in a rut for the polar opposite reason that Bashir was in the same rut. I was glad to see some of more cryptic spoilers of ZSG revealed in RBoE, but also has me wondering when the heck this all happened such as

Old January 5 2011, 09:52 PM   #113
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Enterprise1981 wrote: View Post
So how does RBoE compare with Zero Sum Game in terms of spoilers?
This may be "answering a different question than what was asked", but I would say ZSG's spoilers were worse; it doesn't spoiler material that we haven't gotten/won't get for a while, while it did spoiler the opening of RBOE.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2011, 10:22 PM   #114
David R. George III
Writer

Send a message via AIM to David R. George III Send a message via Yahoo to David R. George III

By the way, because of a few comments I've seen here and there regarding Rough Beasts of Empire, I just wanted to say that I have absolutely no knowledge of Star Trek Online beyond its existence (and I only found out about that recently). Thus, if there are any similar details between that work and my own, it is strictly coincidental.

On Facebook
Old January 5 2011, 10:57 PM   #115
flemm
Fleet Captain

Old January 5 2011, 11:08 PM   #116
David R. George III
Writer

^

On Facebook
Old January 5 2011, 11:13 PM   #117
flemm
Fleet Captain

Last edited by flemm; January 5 2011 at 11:51 PM.
Old January 5 2011, 11:26 PM   #118
David R. George III
Writer

^

On Facebook

Last edited by David R. George III; January 6 2011 at 12:36 AM.
Old January 6 2011, 04:44 AM   #119
The Super Brando
Lieutenant Commander

DS9 is my favorite Trek, and the DS9R novels were the first Trek lit I went to. It was so good. . . and then. . . damn man. It's really depressing to see how it just veered off into boring-as-hell-having-nothing-to-do-with-the-end-of-DS9-mirror-universe-bullshit. And now this is the only DS9 fix out there. I'm sorry if it wasn't "planned as a DS9 novel', but it's all we have.

And oh woah! What the hell ever happened to the Dominion?! They left. . . and then what? Odo? Dominion subjects? Fallout in the Gamma Quadrant of the Dominion War?

And damn dude, what about the Cardassians?

Sorry to hijack your thread, but this is the only DS9 we have man! I'm just so sad. . . so sad. DS9 is an empty lonely place it seems, now that everyone has left.

But hey, I haven't read the book yet! But don't worry, I'll buy it and enjoy it like a heroine addict enjoys shooting up with an AIDS needle in a back alley. It's the only Trek I have, and I'll enjoy any scrap I can get!

Last edited by The Super Brando; January 6 2011 at 05:18 AM.
The Super Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2011, 05:02 AM   #120
Jono
Rear Admiral

^ There is a button when you do an advanced reply rather than a quick on. It is a smiley with an x mouth on the far right of the buttons above the edit window.

You need to add a "=" after Spoiler in the opening tag - Spoiler=, and if you want you should add a few words as to what the spoilers are about.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote