New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old December 28 2010, 06:58 AM   #136
Guitarded
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Minecraft

Holy crap, that's insane.
Guitarded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2010, 01:44 PM   #137
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Where do these people find the time?
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2010, 03:45 PM   #138
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Pixel art in Minecraft is kind of cool but I admit I prefer projects people did legitimately by mining all the materials themselves.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2010, 11:44 PM   #139
Brandonv
Fleet Captain

Steven wrote: View Post
Hey guys, check this out, I just found this in one of my RSS feeds:

Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past in Minecraft.
Wow! That must have taken a lot of time and dedication to finish.
Brandonv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2011, 09:38 PM   #140
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

PC Gamer UK has named Minecraft the best game of 2010. But more importantly, Notch declared Ireland to be better than England, so now it's official.
Old January 3 2011, 11:15 PM   #141
Canadave
Vice Admiral

View Canadave's Twitter Profile

I haven't been able to play for a couple weeks, because I was at my parents place, and they have a terrible computer which doesn't work at all. So I got back yesterday, and developed my first Beta world, and quickly found that it's trying to tell me something:

What's even weirder is that the two "arms" are made of sand, which miraculously stays in the air...
Old January 3 2011, 11:16 PM   #142
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Notch is trying to save your soul!
My blog
Old January 4 2011, 01:38 PM   #143
Jadzia
on holiday

Canadave wrote: View Post
What's even weirder is that the two "arms" are made of sand, which miraculously stays in the air...
I expect the game engine will only apply physics to blocks that are moving, and in certain cases whether those moving blocks have cascading effects on their neighbours.
Jadzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2011, 02:57 PM   #144
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

Jadzia wrote: View Post
I expect the game engine will only apply physics to blocks that are moving, and in certain cases whether those moving blocks have cascading effects on their neighbours.
Yeah, when a chunk is generated, I don't believe it necessarily makes all the sand, gravel, etc. fall. To do that for an entire chunk at once would be very computationally intensive. So, it's just generated and left hanging there. If you touch an improperly-suspended block (or an adjacent block) that will trigger it and any blocks above to react to gravity again.
My blog
Old January 4 2011, 04:52 PM   #145
Canadave
Vice Admiral

View Canadave's Twitter Profile

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Jadzia wrote: View Post
Yeah, when a chunk is generated, I don't believe it necessarily makes all the sand, gravel, etc. fall. To do that for an entire chunk at once would be very computationally intensive. So, it's just generated and left hanging there. If you touch an improperly-suspended block (or an adjacent block) that will trigger it and any blocks above to react to gravity again.
Yeah, I encounter "hanging" sand fairly often. It was just the context which made it stand out.
Old January 5 2011, 05:09 AM   #146
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

After taking a couple weeks off, I came back to Minecraft a few days ago and decided that my main base needed to be fortified by putting a wall around it, paving it over and putting lights up everywhere. Luckily, I already had four chests of cobblestone stored down in my mine so I didn't have to waste time with that. Here's the end result of three day's work:

Fortress Godfrey. It encompasses my main house, my rail station and my boathouse in one convenient, safe location. It has three iron gates, numerous entrances to my tunnel network, three grass pens for farmyard animals to spawn, a well, a natural pond (for swimming), an underground farm and a secret entrance through a cave. Because fortresses need a secret entrance for the hero to sneak in. Here's the view from the top of the tower:

And here's the aerial view:

Notch has said there will be an update next week that he hopes will contain the ability to paint blocks as well as a sea-based mob. Personally, I'm still waiting for it to snow in cold areas, I don't feel there's much point in building a base in that region until he fixes that.
Old January 5 2011, 05:14 AM   #147
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

Very nice! I think I need to get a new world generated, myself. I got kind of bored with my previous one and I want to see if the new world generation system has any new tricks in store.
My blog
Old January 5 2011, 11:12 AM   #148
Sephiroth
Vice Admiral

how did you get that wicked aerial shot?
Green chile cheeseburgers, Red and Green chile burritos, Green and Red chile pizza with beef and chicken, Green chile chicken kung pao, Green chile wine, Green and Red chile popsicles...You can get Red and Green on everything here.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2011, 04:18 PM   #149
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Very nice!
It's nowhere near as impressive as that castle you were building, but I wouldn't have the patience for something like that. I prefer building things slowly over time, adding onto them when I feel like it. That fortress started out as a tiny wooden shack that I took shelter in my first night with only a hole in the roof for moonlight, and even though every block of that tiny shack was replaced over time, I like to think that it's the same building, only far more evolved. One day I'll probably make the walls taller and thicker, I'll expand the grounds of the fortress and probably make the keep larger, but I'm happy enough with it right now.

Sephiroth wrote: View Post
how did you get that wicked aerial shot?
I used the third-party Cartograph program and set it to isometric view, then cropped the image. Here's the full map which is a bit over 4km long.

Old January 5 2011, 05:07 PM   #150
Sephiroth
Vice Admiral

nice, just enough space to construct a Zentradi battlecruiser
Green chile cheeseburgers, Red and Green chile burritos, Green and Red chile pizza with beef and chicken, Green chile chicken kung pao, Green chile wine, Green and Red chile popsicles...You can get Red and Green on everything here.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote