Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old December 31 2010, 11:12 PM   #1
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile
Movies Seen in 2011

2010 Edition
2009 Edition

The goal is to list movies you have seen for the FIRST time. Tell everybody what you watched and what you though about it. It doesn't matter if it was released in 2011 or 1911.

I use Listology to keep up with what I've seen and I'm sure there are several similar sites.

Here is a good list of 1001 Movies to see before you die.
Old January 1 2011, 08:44 PM   #2
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

Re: Movies Seen in 2011

1. Black Swan (2010) [A+] - best of the year
Old January 2 2011, 03:12 AM   #3
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

The Fighter: Christian Bale, Mark Whalberg, Amy Adams
Grade: B-

Was a fairly well made movie but I got way more disjointed family time, especially with the 7 sisters, that I felt bogged the movie down. Christian Bale seems to have lost some weight yet again to play this role. Amy Adams slinking around on the bed in nearly see thru undergarments was a plus.

Glad I saw it once but don't feel its a Best Picture nod. Christian Bale deserves some recognition for sure though.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2011, 03:59 AM   #4
CaptainCanada
Admiral

1. In the Heat of the Night (A+)

The first film viewing of the new year, 1967's Best Picture winner, and the career highlight of most of the major people involved (though I'm perhaps more partial to Jewison's followup, Fiddler on the Roof). In a hick town in Mississippi, visiting black detective Virgil Tibbs (Sidney Poitier), after demonstrating that he didn't murder a man, is enlisted to help find out who did. This is at the insistence of the dead man's widow, which might seem a bit contrived, but the police force of Sparta are all severely retarded (apart from Chief Gillespie, who's only mildly retarded, and so can sporadically notice that he's completely out of his depth actually, you know, doing his job), so I can see her point.

It's one-part murder mystery, one-part examination of then-contemporary racial politics in the Deep South; the latter part, obviously, is the part that won all the awards and acclaim, and it is indeed the more interesting of the two. The mystery element isn't bad either, but in a movie that's less than two hours long and has a lot of time on race stuff, there's only so much time that can be spent developing the mystery. The fireworks are in the interactions between the two lead characters, and between Tibbs and the other yokels. All of said yokels seem to be barey restraining themeselves from trying to lynch him, which is at times almost comic, but undoubtedly completely accurate for the times. Tibbs occasionally comes across like he has a death wish, though, given how little care he seems to take for his own safety (you would he would be a little more conscious of the dangers than he seems to be a lot of the time).

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2011, 07:07 AM   #5
ElimParra
Fleet Admiral

1. Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines (2003) C- (Seemed very much like a rehash of T2, but much weaker story)
ElimParra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2011, 08:29 PM   #6
Switch
Captain

The English Patient (1996)

A beautiful, haunting, elegiac film; lovingly crafted and surprisingly quotable.
Switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2011, 08:45 PM   #7
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

Watched Percy Jackson & the Olympians on HBO last night.

It was alright, but I can kind of see why there won't be any sequels.
Old January 2 2011, 08:50 PM   #8
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

Metropolis (1927) B+

I've never been much of a silent movie buff, but this was one ambitious movie for the time.
And seemingly few title cards, so you really have to be focused on this one to understand it.

The Haunted World of El Superbeasto (2009) A+

As advertised, an animated monster sex comedy with all the strangeness of an original Rob Zombie movie.
Recommended for anyone with a strange sense of humor.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2011, 07:08 PM   #9
LitmusDragon
Commodore

Alien 3 (assembly cut) - B. First time watching this movie in about 5 years. I think the thing that hurts the movie the most is the horrible CG Alien used in some shots. It looks absolutely cartoony and not threatening at all and this is especially apparent on Blu-ray. This movie is a rather awkward link in the continuity of the series, scaling things back to a single alien and basically undoing all of the character growth that Ripley had during Aliens; but this is made up for somewhat by some strong performances (Sigourney Weaver, Charles Dutton, and Charles Dance most notably) and a few interesting twists on the mythology of the series. Fincher's camera work is good and the setting is fairly interesting.
Old January 3 2011, 07:33 PM   #10
od0_ital
Admiral

Went to see Tron Legacy 3D last night...paid just $7.25 for a 7:40 show. Small towns...

The movie was very pretty to look at, the 3D was really well done, but Clu looked kind of fake, which was fine since he was a computer program, anyway. But I liked Jeff Bridges more in True Grit.
Old January 3 2011, 07:43 PM   #11
marillion
Vice Admiral

View marillion's Twitter Profile

Gulliver's Travels (2010).. D+.... The plus is only because I did chuckle a few times. Got suckered into seeing this over the weekend by my 10 year old son. Thank God we didn't bother seeing this in 3D.
Old January 3 2011, 08:02 PM   #12
CaptainCanada
Admiral

marillion wrote: View Post
Gulliver's Travels (2010).. D+.... The plus is only because I did chuckle a few times. Got suckered into seeing this over the weekend by my 10 year old son. Thank God we didn't bother seeing this in 3D.
I hope you told him to go to his room and think about what he'd done.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2011, 08:26 PM   #13
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

A few people in my office said the same thing and worst of all after wanting to see it her kids didn't even like it.

I told her they should've seen Voyage of the Dawn Treader. Which by the way is spanking Gulliver. Gulliver will be out of the top 10 next week if we are lucky. Dawn Treader needs those screens. Not like Season of the Witch needs them either.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2011, 09:40 PM   #14
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
I hope you told him to go to his room and think about what he'd done.

Sometimes I wonder how movies like this even get made. The trailers looked horrible, the reviews were scathing, and yet they somehow manage to convince kids it's the movie of the year.
Old January 3 2011, 09:51 PM   #15
od0_ital
Admiral

^

Easy - kids are dumb. And every commercial had references to Star Wars. Its a Pavlovian thing...