Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate Seize The Fire.
Outstanding 6 5.36%
Above Average 23 20.54%
Average 32 28.57%
Below Average 33 29.46%
Poor 18 16.07%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 30 2010, 08:35 PM   #151
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

Re: Typhon Pact: Seize The Fire review thread

Do Trek readers also read other SF novelists?
Ronald Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2010, 08:38 PM   #152
kkozoriz1
Fleet Captain

There were two Haldeman's. Joe's brother Jack aslo wrote Perry's Planet. That said, you'd have to be impressed with some of the names that have written Trek fiction over the years.
kkozoriz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2011, 10:02 PM   #153
Gatekeeper
Commodore

*sigh* I really tried to enjoy "Seize the Fire," but I simply couldn't, for the most part.

I enjoyed learning more about the Gorn — their castes and religion, for example — and about Hraranar (sp), but that was the extent of it. Everything else, especially characterization and many of the decisions made by the characters, simply didn't gel for me.

I voted "average." Here's to better luck next time, Michael A. Martin.

Gatekeeper
Old January 1 2011, 11:28 PM   #154
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Warp Coil wrote: View Post
Given the downright negative reviews of Seize the Fire, it's making me afraid to even buy the book. I have to ask - without giving anything away, is there anything important that happens in this book to the Titan crew? Could a Titan fan skip this novel completely without missing anything important? Part of me thinks I'd be better off just passing on this novel so that I don't waste my hard-earned money.

Yes you could skip the lot, anything important will be recapped and nothing that important seems to happen anyway.
JoeZhang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2011, 04:13 PM   #155
Steve Roby
Commodore

Ronald Held wrote: View Post
Do Trek readers also read other SF novelists?
I hope so. If not, they're missing out.
Steve Roby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2011, 09:55 PM   #156
Warp Coil
Rear Admiral

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
Warp Coil wrote: View Post
Given the downright negative reviews of Seize the Fire, it's making me afraid to even buy the book. I have to ask - without giving anything away, is there anything important that happens in this book to the Titan crew? Could a Titan fan skip this novel completely without missing anything important? Part of me thinks I'd be better off just passing on this novel so that I don't waste my hard-earned money.

Yes you could skip the lot, anything important will be recapped and nothing that important seems to happen anyway.
Well, out of sheer curiosity, I picked up the book anyway. I'm roughly 100 pages in so far. It is a bit dull. Martin's writing style isn't offensive but isn't very interesting, either. The stuff that's happening on Titan seems okay, but the Gorn stuff so far is putting me to sleep. It's weird - I love the novels that Martin & Mangels co-authored, but Martin's solo effort here just isn't as compelling. The story seems adequate, but the execution just isn't engaging me as a reader.
"I managed to find Uno and Checkers, and also parts of Battleship and most of the pieces of Candy Land, which I figure, I can mix together to create a fabulous new game, CandyShipBattleLand. War never tasted so good." - Lorelai Gilmore
Warp Coil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2011, 12:42 AM   #157
DrCorby
Lieutenant Commander

I gave StF an average rating, also. I'd been a little behind in my Titan reading, so I read the last three in a row to be ready for the Titan installment of the Typhon Pact series. Seize the Fire just didn't measure up very well by comparison.

As others have mentioned, I felt that many of the characterizations were off, especially Vale (goofy and inappropriate comments falling out of her mouth) and Riker (OK, fooling the hostage-taking Gorn did seem somewhat Riker-like, but going to the Gorn ship just made no sense whatsoever).

Beyond the characterizations, there were other implausibilities and inconsistencies that really made it difficult to just go along for the ride. When Riker decided to send the landing party to the planet surface, I actually involuntarily exclaimed, "Oh, brother!" out loud, making my wife ask what was wrong. It just made no sense, given the rest of the situation at that point. Then, Ssyrex's belief that the ecosculptor was the Gorn deity came out of nowhere, and was completely unnecessary. And then, later in the book, the Gorn captain mentions the possibility, when there was NEVER any indication that Ssyrex had mentioned it to anyone on the Gorn ship. Inconsistent and irritating.

Thinking about it again, maybe my "average" rating was too high...
Old January 7 2011, 04:54 PM   #158
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

I have to agree with most of the others here that this book required some effort to get through. Maybe its because I have a bias against lizards or something but the Gorn just are not very interesting to me. Maybe it was just a case of I have read this all before syndrome. Super tech society living in peace, Alien AI/God in the machine and so on. I voted average and dont think this one will end up in the re-read pile any time soon.
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2011, 08:55 PM   #159
Bishop76
Fleet Captain

Below average. I never liked anything by Mangels and Martin and while this is better than any of their collaborative works, it's still pretty bad. A lot of plot conveniences and contrivances, bad dialogue, characters being omniscient and seemingly knowing what was coming next for the sake if the plot, and is it required that when a Titan book is written that we're reminded every 3 pages how diverse this crew is and how amazing diversity makes them? It makes Titan novels read like bad after school specials from the 80s...

I would even say that diversity makes Titan novels less interesting. It has such a large cast of almost entirely forgettable characters that I can't remember most of them from book to book.
Old January 9 2011, 02:06 PM   #160
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Bishop76 wrote: View Post
Below average. I never liked anything by Mangels and Martin and while this is better than any of their collaborative works, it's still pretty bad. A lot of plot conveniences and contrivances, bad dialogue, characters being omniscient and seemingly knowing what was coming next for the sake if the plot, and is it required that when a Titan book is written that we're reminded every 3 pages how diverse this crew is and how amazing diversity makes them? It makes Titan novels read like bad after school specials from the 80s...

I would even say that diversity makes Titan novels less interesting. It has such a large cast of almost entirely forgettable characters that I can't remember most of them from book to book.
Yes, that is quite grating as well...
JoeZhang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2011, 11:37 PM   #161
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

Perhaps trying to showcase so many non core Federation races(in minor roles) defeats the purpose of showing how diverse Titan is?
Ronald Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2011, 01:25 AM   #162
Bishop76
Fleet Captain

I think it's just that the diversity in Titan seems just to be in there for diversity's sake. There's no logic or reason behind it other than the authors get to remind us not to be bigots once a chapter in the most ham-fisted way possible.
Old January 10 2011, 06:18 AM   #163
Christopher
Writer

Where's the logic in having a starship crew that isn't as diverse as the Federation it belongs to? For that matter, where's the logic in writing a science fiction novel and not taking advantage of the freedom of the prose form to depict more exotic aliens than you could on television?

In-universe, the reason for the push for diversity in the Luna class is much the same as the reason for the repeal of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" -- to increase the fairness of Starfleet personnel assignments and to ensure that the ships weren't missing out on good, capable crewpersons simply because the ships weren't designed to accommodate nonhumanoids. Again, it's more that there's no legitimate reason not to allow as much diversity as actually exists among the population. It also serves the purpose of demonstrating to newly contacted races that the Federation is inclusive and open, which can promote good relations.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2011, 03:22 PM   #164
Bishop76
Fleet Captain

That's all well and good, but in my opinion, the stories tend to suffer for it. I guess when I say there's no logical reason for it, I meant more from a story telling perspective. There are just too many characters that don't get enough focus on them to be memorable at all. Also, I feel like I'm constantly being preached to by the damn Titan books. I like a good moral/message to my stories, but I would prefer to not have it repeatedly smacking me in the face with every turn of the page so much so that if you were to put another message or meaning in the book, I'd probably miss it for the facial abuse I was getting from my diversity floggings.
Old January 10 2011, 04:39 PM   #165
Christopher
Writer

^I just don't understand that reaction. Do you feel "preached to" by the fact that Voyager's cast includes black, Asian, and Hispanic actors? Sure, there are some early Titan books that make a point of addressing the diversity of the crew, but in subsequent ones -- certainly the ones I've written -- the nonhumanoid crewmembers are simply there, participating in the stories like everyone else. Yes, their diverse viewpoints, beliefs, and so forth are addressed, but that's not preaching, that's just doing what any story does -- developing its characters' distinct identities and exploring the interactions and tensions among them.

I'm not trying to preach to anyone. I don't see why I should need to; I would expect that any Star Trek fan would acknowledge it as axiomatic that diversity and inclusion are good things. I'm just interested in exploring beings and cultures that are more interestingly alien than just another bunch of humanoids with a culture that represents some single particular human value or attitude.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote