New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate Rough Beasts Of Empire
Outstanding 36 25.53%
Above Average 58 41.13%
Average 25 17.73%
Below Average 13 9.22%
Poor 9 6.38%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 30 2010, 05:43 PM   #46
kaysea
Ensign

Re: Typhon Pact: Rough Beasts Of Empire review thread

Rosalind wrote: View Post
^ Sorry kaysea, I know you're trying to do a nice thing for your fellow posters, but David has requested that the passage be deleted (considering the book only just start to appear in the shops).

Last edited by kaysea; December 30 2010 at 09:39 PM.
kaysea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2010, 07:26 PM   #47
KingstonTrekker
Commander

kaysea wrote: View Post
Rosalind wrote: View Post
^ Sorry kaysea, I know you're trying to do a nice thing for your fellow posters, but David has requested that the passage be deleted (considering the book only just start to appear in the shops).
ok. here's a summary of it;
You are not getting it...the author has asked that such specific details not be shared in this thread because the book has just appeared in book stores. Why do you feel the need to describe to us what the Tzenkethi look like? If people want to know, they can read the book. Describing the Tzenkethi does not add anything to a review/discussion of the book in this thread.
KingstonTrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2010, 08:50 PM   #48
kaysea
Ensign

... because the excerpt was a word for word text of the Tzenkethi description. I can see David having a problem with that. But I can't put a summary of what they look like? that's ridiculous.

Why do I feel the need? because someone simply asked to know what the Tzenkethi are.
Old December 30 2010, 09:09 PM   #49
David R. George III
Writer

Send a message via AIM to David R. George III Send a message via Yahoo to David R. George III

^ Could you at least put the details in spoiler tags please? My novel just came out, and I'd appreciate a little consideration of that.

On Facebook
David R. George III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2010, 09:15 PM   #50
kaysea
Ensign

ok done
Old December 30 2010, 09:34 PM   #51
David R. George III
Writer

Send a message via AIM to David R. George III Send a message via Yahoo to David R. George III

^ Thank you (although honestly, I'd prefer you use your own words, rather than mine; just because you don't enclose my words in quotation marks does not mean that's not my description).

On Facebook
David R. George III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2010, 09:42 PM   #52
kaysea
Ensign

OK fuck it. I just deleted it, happy? satisfied now? not worth the hassle.

On a side note good work on the book. I had fun guessing who was actually doing the plotting.
Old December 30 2010, 09:57 PM   #53
KingstonTrekker
Commander

OK **** it. I just deleted it, happy? satisfied now? not worth the hassle.
There is no need for foul language.

You did not understand the moderator's comments and you then proceeded to plagiarize the author with your "summary"...and now you are upset? The way I see it, you definitely did create a bit of a hassle in this thread -- be frustrated with yourself rather than others since the person who caused hassles here was you. That should make you stop and think "Gee...maybe the problem is with me" rather than branding people's reactions to your post as being "ridiculous."
KingstonTrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2010, 10:17 PM   #54
kaysea
Ensign

KingstonTrekker wrote: View Post
OK **** it. I just deleted it, happy? satisfied now? not worth the hassle.
There is no need for foul language.

You did not understand the moderator's comments and you then proceeded to plagiarize the author with your "summary"...and now you are upset? The way I see it, you definitely did create a bit of a hassle in this thread -- be frustrated with yourself rather than others since the person who caused hassles here was you. That should make you stop and think "Gee...maybe the problem is with me" rather than branding people's reactions to your post as being "ridiculous."
ugh, whatever guy. You need to lighten up.

ON that note I'm off this forum. Its not for me. David, good luck selling your books.
Old December 30 2010, 11:12 PM   #55
rfmcdpei
Captain

View rfmcdpei's Twitter Profile

Clem1029 wrote: View Post

My take?

rfmcdpei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2010, 11:40 PM   #56
ProtoAvatar
Fleet Captain

About the romulans - their home planet is due to be pulverised in a few years. They'll need all the internal stability they can get to get through that.

About Sisko (and, without exception, all the other DS9 characters presented in the Typhon Pact books that had more than 2-3 lines) - their characterisation has been unsatisfactory; too abrupt, too rushed.

A while ago, on these forums it was discussed whether the 5 year jump for the DS9 Relaunch was a good ideea or not.
For me, the books so far settled the matter:
-the characters' development suffered, it's not organic, but eclectic, the characters seem all over the place; also, they have become too spread out;
-plot threads that were anticipated/developed extensively were dropped - ex, the Ascendants; it's obvious it was decided to abandon previously prepared plot-lines;
-at this point, if the DS9 Relaunch is to continue, it will have little in common - beyond the setting - with what came before.
ProtoAvatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2010, 12:14 AM   #57
rfmcdpei
Captain

View rfmcdpei's Twitter Profile

ProtoAvatar wrote: View Post
About the romulans - their home planet is due to be pulverised in a few years. They'll need all the internal stability they can get to get through that.
Quite. Between that and the Empire's integration with the Typhon Pact, it looks like the Romulans are going to be pushed into much greater interactions with the surrounding civilizations at a person-to-person level. This could be interesting: will viinerine be as common as raktajino?

A while ago, on these forums it was discussed whether the 5 year jump for the DS9 Relaunch was a good ideea or not.
For me, the books so far settled the matter:
-the characters' development suffered, it's not organic, but eclectic, the characters seem all over the place; also, they have become too spread out;
-plot threads that were anticipated/developed extensively were dropped - ex, the Ascendants; it's obvious it was decided to abandon previously prepared plot-lines;
-at this point, if the DS9 Relaunch is to continue, it will have little in common - beyond the setting - with what came before.
I agree in certain respects--the five-year gap is a bit much--but what led to the stagnation of the relaunch in the first place?
rfmcdpei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2010, 12:57 AM   #58
flemm
Fleet Captain

rfmcdpei wrote: View Post
I agree in certain respects--the five-year gap is a bit much--but what led to the stagnation of the relaunch in the first place?
A variety of circumstances. Delays and changes of author on one of the relaunch titles. Changes in the editorial staff at Pocket. The gap between the DS9-R and the other TNG-era books. The Destiny event. It was eventually decided to bring the DS9-R up to speed with the rest of the post-Destiny narrative. That is what is happening in the Typhon Pact titles, albeit in a rather uninspired manner imo.

One the one hand, yeah, some of these choices, especially the ones in RBoE, don't feel very promising as far as future DS9 stories are concerned. On the other hand, the pieces are still there on the table for a future writer to pick up and put back together. It's a bit tricky because the DS9 crew can't be easily plugged into a standard Trek narrative the way the crews of TNG, Voyager, Titan and others can. So, we'll see. The DS9-R as an on-going story of its own is dead, but I do think that at some point an author will come up with a compelling story for these characters, at which time hopefully we will get a couple of DS9 novels in relatively quick succession.
flemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2010, 02:05 AM   #59
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

I'm still waiting for both this and Seize the Fire! I'm growing impaitent. Must resist urge to read spoilers....
Old December 31 2010, 03:37 AM   #60
starri
Lieutenant

David: Just for the record, even though I didn't love the book, I think you, and Christopher, and all our other wonderful authors deserve a lot of credit for being so great about answering criticism. And even when I don't love every plot twist and all of that, I certainly know how much you all love ST, and how glad I am that we've got a whole stable of authors who are willing to undertake all this as a labor of love.

I figured it was the least I could say after my Negative Nancy comments
starri is offline   Reply With Quote