Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old December 26 2010, 05:03 PM   #16
Warp Coil
Rear Admiral

Re: A TrekLit Christmas

Didn't receive any TrekLit... or any other books for that matter. For some reason I assumed that I'd get at least one book, but alas, I did not. I had a few books on my Amazon wish list, and they're cheaper than the video games and DVDs that I had listed. Oh well. I'll swing by the local Borders and pick up Seize the Fire and Rough Beasts of Empire sometime this week.
"I managed to find Uno and Checkers, and also parts of Battleship and most of the pieces of Candy Land, which I figure, I can mix together to create a fabulous new game, CandyShipBattleLand. War never tasted so good." - Lorelai Gilmore
Warp Coil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2010, 05:15 PM   #17
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

I had a classic Treklit Christmas!

Some highlights:
Star Trek: Spaceflight Chronology
The original, full-length version which I've wanted for about 15 years. Wonderful art and lots of fun little "in-universe" articles.

Trek: The Printed Adventures
By James Van Hise, kind-of like a 1993 Voyages of Imagination, but with only a couple of interviews, much more opinion (frequently wrong opinion, imo) and a huge section on fanfic (with art and interviews).

The Official Star Trek Cooking Manual
"From the logs of Nurse Chapel", apparently. Little anecdotes between recepies, and human dishes given TOS alien names.

Lots of old Trek novels, Starship Spotter, Troublesome Minds, Rosetta (the last Ent novel for me, since I hate the relaunch), Star Trek Lives!, New Worlds New Civilizations, Best of Trek #16, the novelization of the old Klingon PC game, the infamous Planet X novel and a couple of old knock-off Trek encylopedias (one supposedly including the novels) and more.

Old December 26 2010, 07:06 PM   #18
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Well, Richard Matheson on Screen had several pages about "The Enemy Within." Does that count?
Old December 26 2010, 09:28 PM   #19
ryan123450
Commodore

View ryan123450's Twitter Profile

Ordered my next two New Frontier books on Christmas Eve from Paperback Swap. Then on Christmas my parents got me a years worth of BooksFree (like Netflix for books) with which the first book I ordered was Spock: Relections. I had tried to get it interlibrary loan like I do with all the other Trek I read, but they said they couldn't get it for some reason. They also got me 25 bucks to pay for my interlibrary loan postage for the next few months.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2010, 09:32 PM   #20
Reanok
Commodore

I got TYphon pact Sieze the fire for Christmas the other books I was supposed to get for Christmas haven't come yet. I'm looking forward to getting Rough beasts of the empire and Myriad Universe3 Shattered light to come in the mail hopefully next week.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2010, 12:14 AM   #21
Steve Roby
Commodore

I don't think I've had any Treklit Christmas gifts since 1976, when my parents bought me a copy of The Star Trek Puzzle Manual around the same time as I bought myself a copy. From then on it was pretty much taken for granted that I'd probably already have bought any Trek book the moment it came out. (Getting two copies was actually a good thing in this case, because it meant I could do all the crosswords, puzzles, mazes, etc, and still have a clean, untouched copy.)
Steve Roby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2010, 05:48 AM   #22
OverlordSpock
Lieutenant Commander

View OverlordSpock's Twitter Profile

I, as well, received the Complete Comic Book Collection from Santa. I am really looking forward to that!
OverlordSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2010, 10:09 PM   #23
Almost Unique
Lieutenant

For Christmas I got 2 Trek items: SOTL 2011 from a brother-in-law, and the Trek version of the Scene-It game from my wife. Though people got me several things from my amazon wishlist, there was less Trek than I might've expected since more than half of the wishlist is Trek stuff.
Old December 28 2010, 01:12 AM   #24
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
Wow. This is the first Christmas in... forever that I didn't get anything Trek related. Huh.
Actually, I did get a gift card for Borders Books, so if I buy a Trek book with that, that counts as getting for X-Mas, right?
Old December 28 2010, 06:50 AM   #25
Daddy Todd
Captain

Not exactly gifts, but I got Rough Beasts of Empire and The Edge today from Amazon.com. I can't launch into either one yet, because I have yet to read their predecessors. In fact, I don't think I've read ANY of 2010's Treklit yet. Oh wait, I read Inception as soon as it came out. I simply haven't made time to read any of the rest of 2010's output.

I wonder if there's a connection between those 2 facts?
Daddy Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2010, 07:02 AM   #26
shanejayell
Captain

I bought 'Ships of the Line' as a gift to myself.
Old December 28 2010, 10:21 AM   #27
David R. George III
Writer

Send a message via AIM to David R. George III Send a message via Yahoo to David R. George III

Daddy Todd wrote: View Post

Not exactly gifts, but I got Rough Beasts of Empire and The Edge today from Amazon.com. I can't launch into either one yet, because I have yet to read their predecessors.
Just so you know, of the four Typhon Pact novels, Seize the Fire and Rough Beasts of Empire both begin at the end of the Borg invasion, with scenes set earlier than either Zero Sum Game or Paths of Disharmony. Also Rough Beasts ends earlier than all of the other TP tales, and so in a very real sense, my novel is the earliest of the bunch.

On Facebook
David R. George III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2010, 06:58 PM   #28
sfroth
Lieutenant Commander

With the B&N gift card I received for Christmas, I bought myself the ebook versions of Shattered Light and Rough Beasts of Empire. I'm knee deep in DRG3 at the moment.
Old December 28 2010, 07:48 PM   #29
David R. George III
Writer

Send a message via AIM to David R. George III Send a message via Yahoo to David R. George III

^ And there was much rejoicing!

On Facebook
David R. George III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2010, 11:35 PM   #30
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

JD wrote: View Post
So did anyone get any TrekLit or other Trek this year?
The ST action figure collectors' listserv, Playtrek, conducts an annual "Secret Spock" gift exchange and, this year, I helped one of our members locate a Romulan action figure - I had a spare and they were impossible to find in her area - so my own opened Romulan figure assisted in the making of a slideshow documenting the adventures of the mint-on-card figure I sent back to the USA:

http://photopeach.com/album/17vypjf

I was absolutely thrilled that one of the first viewers to leave a comment was paulablock! Coincidentally, her "365" book made a cameo appearance.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote