Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old December 27 2010, 08:18 AM   #16
MANT!
Rear Admiral

Re: Remastered TOS: This really bugs me!

With Blu-ray on a 1080p HDTV..the original effects are JARRING to say the least..they do work, but the limits of the 1960s technology are obvious..

I do feel the "remastering team" did try to be as true to the original spirit as was possible..and to keep the effects true to the story...and they appeared to have made a decision to keep the cuts as they were, even the bad ones..Maybe you can ask Mike Okuda (he's on my friends list here) for confirmation, but I'm sure they agonized over every shot...they were limited by budget and time, so nothing's perfect.

But to keep the fandamentalists happy, they did include the choice of seeing the new or old effects with EVERY episode, so if one doen't like the new effects, there's no reason to be sad, the old effects are there for you to enjoy in full 1080p..warts n all...
Old December 27 2010, 08:49 AM   #17
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

They're not on the standard DVD version, but then most of us already have the last release of the original versions, so that's not exactly a big deal, other than shelf space.
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2010, 03:07 PM   #18
JRoss
Captain

I guess I don't see any hokeyness. I thought that they had to keep it somewhat dull in order to keep it from contrasting too greatly with the old footage.
JRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2010, 03:11 PM   #19
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

No.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2010, 03:18 PM   #20
Forbin
Admiral

Quality varies wildly. Some of the new shots have impressed, some have made me roll my eyes. I watched Elaan of Troius the other day. The Klingon battle cruiser looked horrible, and the shot where it buzzed the Enterprise and pulled up suddenly looked like something from the Animated Series.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2010, 05:00 PM   #21
somethingblank
Cadet

i really digged the remastered stuff.
somethingblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2010, 06:57 PM   #22
number6
Vice Admiral

Location: number6 has left the village through some inexpicable hole in the ground to head the corporation.

Chick_McGeester wrote: View Post
I personally think that we could get better results if they paid people in this forum to do the Remastering. The Ship looks more fake now than it did before...Thats a joke...
No way. They'd spend most of their time arguing about nacelle caps and orientation of the Bridge. Nothing would get done.
number6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2010, 07:08 PM   #23
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral

View MauriceNavidad's Twitter Profile

Forbin wrote: View Post
Quality varies wildly. Some of the new shots have impressed, some have made me roll my eyes. I watched Elaan of Troius the other day. The Klingon battle cruiser looked horrible, and the shot where it buzzed the Enterprise and pulled up suddenly looked like something from the Animated Series.
That Klingon ship is one of the worst things in the new effects. You can actually make out the edges of the polygons on parts of it, and it's animated terribly.
MauriceNavidad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2010, 08:40 PM   #24
kkozoriz1
Fleet Captain

Dennis wrote: View Post
roger1999 wrote: View Post
Yeah, I can excuse the lame CG (especially since I have no idea how much money was put behind the effort) but the pure laziness of the title sequence throws me right out of the 23rd century.
You're not in the 23rd century. You're watching a TV show.
That's right. I don't see why they don't show the cameras and crew. After all, it's a TV show.
kkozoriz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2010, 09:20 PM   #25
Joker
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Joker

Chick_McGeester wrote: View Post
I personally think that we could get better results if they paid people in this forum to do the Remastering.

Old December 27 2010, 10:03 PM   #26
Olive, the Other Reindeer
Vice Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
. . . The new effects were done in widescreen, but we will never get to see them that way (AFAIK, TOS-R was only broadcast in widescreen in Japan). And before anyone jumps down my throat for daring to suggest that the live action footage be cropped to match - AFAIK, it wouldn't have to be cropped, as such, since most filmed material from that era was, and possibly still is, shot with more filmed area than even the 4:3 ratio shows.
AFAIK, programs filmed for television from the 1950s through the ’70s were composed for the full frame, to match the 4:3 aspect ratio of the old TV screens. Some allowance was made for the slight cropping of the image in transmission (the “TV safe” area).
Or, hell, why not just make the external space shots widescreen and leave the live action footage alone? It's not as if viewers will particularly care, anyway. Anyone who's seen, say, Galaxy Quest will know that multiple aspect ratios can be mixed within the same program.
The theatrical presentation of Galaxy Quest uses three aspect ratios in sequence. It begins with the “TV episode” in 1.33:1. Then the frame opens up to 1.85:1 for the convention and alien introduction scenes. When Tim Allen's character gets shot up into space, the frame expands further to 2.35:1 for the remainder of the movie.

For Trek TOS-R, mixing widescreen FX shots with the original 1.33:1 footage would mean constant switching back and forth between different aspect ratios. The effect would be distracting, to say the least.
Old December 28 2010, 02:39 AM   #27
ChristopherPike
Rear Admiral

Remastered Trek is broadcast in widescreen here in Britain. The FX has slightly more at the sides, but the live action is cropped. Additionally the text is redone for title sequences and end credit cards, so the lettering is recentred within the 16:9 frame.

Last edited by ChristopherPike; December 28 2010 at 02:59 AM.
ChristopherPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2010, 02:45 AM   #28
ChristopherPike
Rear Admiral

The top image in each case is taken from the DVD set and the one below is the ratio broadcast.

Old December 28 2010, 02:48 AM   #29
ChristopherPike
Rear Admiral

Old December 28 2010, 02:58 AM   #30
Neutral Zone
Captain

I've watched it on CBS as well about the cropping. I have to say I prefer watching the DVD's no ads to interfer with my veiwing. I prefer the new remastered, okay it's not perfect but it's far better than when first televised nearly half a century ago.
Neutral Zone is offline   Reply With Quote