RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,686
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 442
Newest member: Old Man 51

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Which series is best overall?
Babylon 5 51 56.67%
Farscape 39 43.33%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 20 2010, 03:22 AM   #61
psikeyhackr
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Babylon 5 vs Farscape

RAMA wrote: View Post
I didnt like Farscape at all, much too silly and didn't like the actors.

1. best characters-B5
2. best storyline/plot-B5
3. best setting-B5
4. best themes-B5
5. best acting-B5
6. best music-B5
7. best special effects-Farscape
8. best ending/finale-B5
9. best overall (see poll)-B5
That pretty much covers it.

Babylon 5 is better than Star Trek and Deep Space 9 is the best Trek.

Trek is better than Farscape.

B5 was really low budget but it was amazingly good for that. I think it is THE BEST sci-fi show to date. Farscape is almost down to the pseudo-sci-fi level of Star Wars.

psik
Old December 22 2010, 01:01 AM   #62
IcecreamLtDan
Captain

I guess this certainly shows that different folks have different tastes. While I enjoyed Babylon 5, no show drove me to more emotional highs and lows than Farscape did. Even now, after I've watched the episodes more than I can easily count, it still gives me chills. My wife and I can watch a few episodes and spend hours afterward talking about them. I still catch myself spouting out Farscape curse words on odd occasions. Dangit, now I gotta go watch it again!
IcecreamLtDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22 2010, 01:01 AM   #63
IcecreamLtDan
Captain

I guess this certainly shows that different folks have different tastes. While I enjoyed Babylon 5, no show drove me to more emotional highs and lows than Farscape did. Even now, after I've watched the episodes more than I can easily count, it still gives me chills. My wife and I can watch a few episodes and spend hours afterward talking about them. I still catch myself spouting out Farscape curse words on odd occasions. Dangit, now I gotta go watch it again!
IcecreamLtDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22 2010, 05:51 PM   #64
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Okay, I'm blatantly biased since I worked on the FS books and magazine, but I've got to go for FARSCAPE. I respect B5, and it hit some amazing heights during the middle of its run, but I'm not sure I've even seen most of the first and fifth seasons, whereas I would've been hooked on FS even if it wasn't my job. It was wild and crazy and intense and visceral, with great characters and probably the best love story in sf tv history.

Love the id/superego analogy, btw. Which probably explains my preference as well.

The id is always a lot more exciting . . . .
Old December 28 2010, 02:20 AM   #65
Reverend
Rear Admiral

^Damn, where's Peter David when you need him?

I'm actually pleasantly surprised at how the poll is turning out to be such a close run thing. I wouldn't even say it comes down to taste because I love both shows and all of their aspects from helium farting Hynerian to spoo ranchers. For me I suppose it just comes down to having a slightly more personal attachment to B5 than Farscape.

Oh and Greg, if you have the opportunity, I'd highly recommend watching B5 from start to finish. There are several threads knocking around the board where posters have chronicled their first watch through and to date it's always been a positive experience. Even if you've seen most of seasons 2-4 there's plenty in 1 & 5 to enjoy plus I can attest that when I went back and saw the show for a second time I was genuinely startled at how much of the myth-arc gets laid down in the first season (and even the first few episodes.) There's a surprising amount hidden in plain sight which, just from a writing stand point, I can't help but admire.

As for Farscape, oddly enough and in total contradiction of my previous statements I loved that there was no real plan beyond a vague direction here and there. The show was able to improvise, invent on the fly and retain an adventurous sense of spontaneity that's much more difficult in big "arc" shows.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote