Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Tech

Trek Tech Pass me the quantum flux regulator, will you?

Old December 26 2010, 08:33 PM   #76
Lorna
Lieutenant Commander

Re: your ideas for new Starfleet technology

Herkimer Jitty wrote: View Post
Lorna wrote: View Post

Personal Deep Space Transport Pod

The PDSTP is a man sized pod that encases just a single person. Whilst in the pod the person is placed in a form of suspended animation and connected to a nutrient pipe. The pod has an inbuilt warp coil and can reach warp 9. It is fully automated and awakens the occupant once they have reached the designated co-ordinate.
Due to the pods small size and an inbuilt form of stealth the pod is rarely if ever detectable by starships.
This was pretty much mostly done in an episode of TNG. Worf's old girlfriend rode in inside of a modified torpedo/probe.
You sure she wasn't just hanging about in that thing? which ep was it?
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2010, 08:45 PM   #77
LCARS 24
Commodore

It was TNG: The Emissary, not to be confused with DS9: Emissary, in which K'Ehleyr rode inside a class-8 probe at warp.
LCARS 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2010, 08:54 PM   #78
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unicron

It was obviously a very cramped flight too, especially for someone of her height.

"My dream is to eat candy and poop emeralds. I'm halfway successful."

Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources
Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2010, 08:55 PM   #79
Lorna
Lieutenant Commander

LCARS 24 wrote: View Post
It was TNG: The Emissary, not to be confused with DS9: Emissary, in which K'Ehleyr rode inside a class-8 probe at warp.
Well, regardless, it doesn't seem like an advanced technology or in widespread use in TNG. In the future Starfleet could design these things special and they could see widespread use.

The way I see it is that it's a man sized warp nacelle but instead of the ramscoop it has a tiny deflector dish. On one side of the nacelle there is the power generator and on the otherside is the stasis pod. It's all highly integrated so it's not very big.

One more thing, it's been suggested that torpedoes can sustain warp speeds when fired from a ship at warp. Perhaps it was modified so it retained warp speed for longer than usual, so in actual fact the probe was fired from a vessel travelling at warp 9 and the casing itself was not warp capable on it's own.

Edit: Just something I threw together.

Last edited by Lorna; December 26 2010 at 09:51 PM.
Old December 26 2010, 11:47 PM   #80
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

The question is, why would anyone want to use such a suspension system if they had other means (such as a ship) available? I mean, I can maybe see an application for sending people to start a colony on a planet that has a unique environment or is difficult to reach, but otherwise I can't see too many that couldn't be accomplished by a larger craft with dedicated utilities.

Old December 26 2010, 11:52 PM   #81
Lorna
Lieutenant Commander

Unwrapped wrote: View Post
The question is, why would anyone want to use such a suspension system if they had other means (such as a ship) available? I mean, I can maybe see an application for sending people to start a colony on a planet that has a unique environment or is difficult to reach, but otherwise I can't see too many that couldn't be accomplished by a larger craft with dedicated utilities.
Gives individuals the freedom to go where they want and when they want at a fraction of the cost and without the need to wait for transport ships. How many people in Trek can afford to own ships? how many Starfleet ships or bases can afford to let out shuttle craft for a single person on a long journey?

What if someone is on a ship in deep space and needs to return to Earth? the ship isn't going to turn around for one person and certainly wont give away a full shuttle craft for one person unless it's a really good reason.
Instead they can be given on of these deep space transport pods.

Imagine I'm on Starbase 327 and I need to get to starbase 189 for a meeting, there are no direct transport ships and using a shuttle craft for one person isn't worth it or maybe they're needed for more important things. I could slip into one of these transport pods.

They could probably build several pods for the cost of a shuttle.
Old December 27 2010, 02:02 PM   #82
The Inquisitor
Lieutenant Commander

Might work better as a dedicated individual escape pod. Wouldn't want to run into a Borg cube traveling on my own, asleep and with no weapons! Could serve as a very handy auxiliary craft though.
Old December 27 2010, 02:41 PM   #83
Lorna
Lieutenant Commander

The Inquisitor wrote: View Post
Wouldn't want to run into a Borg cube traveling on my own, asleep and with no weapons!
You could be in a Galaxy Class starship and it's still inadvisable to run into a Borg cube.
In fact it's probably safer travelling in one of these deep space pods because it's so tiny and less detectable.
Old December 27 2010, 06:17 PM   #84
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

Gives individuals the freedom to go where they want and when they want at a fraction of the cost and without the need to wait for transport ships. How many people in Trek can afford to own ships? how many Starfleet ships or bases can afford to let out shuttle craft for a single person on a long journey?
That's a valid question, and I don't know exactly how common ship ownership is given how little we know about how the economy supposedly works in Trek. We've seen on many occasions a variety of civilian and commercial vessels, so Starfleet is only one entity.

What if someone is on a ship in deep space and needs to return to Earth? the ship isn't going to turn around for one person and certainly wont give away a full shuttle craft for one person unless it's a really good reason.
Instead they can be given on of these deep space transport pods.
True, the ship might not be able to turn around or give out a shuttlecraft, but they may be able to meet other ships or bases on their existing route. And they have transporters. So there are several options available to the traveler.

Imagine I'm on Starbase 327 and I need to get to starbase 189 for a meeting, there are no direct transport ships and using a shuttle craft for one person isn't worth it or maybe they're needed for more important things. I could slip into one of these transport pods.
I would imagine, barring any sort of communications issue or bureaucratic issue, that you'd already have some form of transportation arranged for something like a meeting. Certainly you could use something like the pods you describe, but then you could choose to travel in an airplane's luggage compartment instead of paying the full cost of a regular ticket. That would hardly make it an equally viable option compared to buying the ticket.

Old December 27 2010, 06:53 PM   #85
Lorna
Lieutenant Commander

I would imagine, barring any sort of communications issue or bureaucratic issue, that you'd already have some form of transportation arranged for something like a meeting. Certainly you could use something like the pods you describe, but then you could choose to travel in an airplane's luggage compartment instead of paying the full cost of a regular ticket. That would hardly make it an equally viable option compared to buying the ticket.
How often do you think transport shuttles traverse between starbases and outposts?
Do you think there was a regular shuttle from DS9 to starbase 143? that just would not happen.
Old December 27 2010, 10:16 PM   #86
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

I don't know the answer to that, but if the sort of trading and commercial business DS9 got on a daily basis (not to mention actual military/Starfleet business) is any indication of a norm, I'm sure there are ships making some sort of regular runs between planets and outposts.

Old December 27 2010, 10:17 PM   #87
Avon
Fleet Captain

how about Earl Grey chewing gum?
Avon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2010, 11:23 PM   #88
Lorna
Lieutenant Commander

I don't know the answer to that, but if the sort of trading and commercial business DS9 got on a daily basis (not to mention actual military/Starfleet business) is any indication of a norm, I'm sure there are ships making some sort of regular runs between planets and outposts.
DS9 was different than regular Starfleet starbases and outposts, surely we can agree on that. The wormhole alone brought the majority of the traffic.
Old December 28 2010, 06:49 AM   #89
Sisko_is_my_captain
Captain

Spruce Boxleitner wrote: View Post
What's wrong with scotch-flavored? Actually, earl grey flavored gum sounds very pleasant and fresh.

"Don't blame me - I voted for Kodos the Executioner."
Sisko_is_my_captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2010, 11:27 AM   #90
Lorna
Lieutenant Commander

Spruce Boxleitner wrote: View Post
In other words lemon chewing gum. I think it's already out there and we're in the 21st century.