Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old December 23 2010, 08:42 PM   #16
Lookingglassman
Admiral

Re: 'The Event': What's Wrong and How to Fix It

I figure this show isnt going to last very long so that is why I refuse to watch it. I hate wasting my time watching shows with a mystery then it is cancelled and I am provided no answers to what is going on.
Lookingglassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2010, 08:50 PM   #17
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Here's the NBC cancel/renew list. The Event is listed as more likely to be cancelled than renewed even though 1.00 is usually the right side of the line (just barely or should I say bearly ha ha ). Maybe that's because The Event is pricey, or possibly the suits are embarrassed that their premier show of the season has flopped so badly and just want it out of the way? I wouldn't discount that factor at all, though of course nobody is going to admit it.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2010, 09:07 PM   #18
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

I think I watched the first five episodes of this show before giving up on it. It's such a muddled, incomprehensible mess. I'm not even sure what the show is supposed to be about and I'm not going to stick around for ages to find out.
Old December 24 2010, 12:06 AM   #19
DarKush
Rear Admiral

I agreed a lot with the linked article about the problems. And I agree a lot with the solutions. However, I think the show is too far gone.

It's a shame. NBC did a good job hyping this show up and it had a lot of people tuning in, but all the flashbacks, the boring characters, the muddled story/stories, it quickly became a trainwreck.

Nothing on Jason Ritter, but his storyline should've been eliminated. I think he's supposed to be the everyman, and his searching for and protecting his girlfriend is supposed to be the emotional core of the film, but it doesn't work for me. It just adds one more layer onto a cake with far too many layers. I wish they had kept the focus on the 'big boys' and centered the show around the sleeper agent. I found his episode far more interesting, and his scenes with the older woman he once loved far more emotional than any of the Jason Ritter scenes. The agent's struggle, his divided soul, works for me. Also, I wish they had made the detainees evolved humans. The alien thing, particularly for aliens that look and act far too human, has been done to death.

Shift the focus to the government players, minimize flashbacks, and tell a coherent story, and maybe this show can salvage itself. Though I doubt it. I think the damage has been done.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2010, 08:20 PM   #20
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

From what I saw, Jason Ritter's plotline was too tangental to the core alien-invasion story. But you need to have a character like that, the everyman, who the audience can relate to. The sleeper agent guy in the FBI could be the other lead character.

But the problem still remains: what is the story about the aliens and why should we care? All I know is that they apparently are trapped on Earth and are a bit surly about it, and planning to do something about it. Is there anything more to it than that?
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25 2010, 07:45 PM   #21
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

It looked deadly dull in the commercials... so I never even gave it a first glance. If a thirty second spot can put the audience to sleep, then the show usually doesn't stand much of a chance.
Old December 26 2010, 02:49 AM   #22
scnj
Captain

I've heard that the original idea didn't have the alien storyline, but NBC ordered them to rewrite with a sci-fi twist to have something comparable to Lost. So maybe things went wrong from there.
scnj is offline   Reply With Quote