TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old December 20 2010, 12:58 AM   #16
Whoa Nellie
Fleet Captain

Re: Q Loves Picard?

iguana_torrone wrote: View Post
Shon T'Hara wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote:
So the only reason to accept that Picard actually died in that episode is if you implicitly trust Q's word. And if you think you can do that, then I have a beach resort on Exo III to sell you.
And to do that, you have to believe that Q actually appeared in the episode. I've always assumed the whole sequence was a fevered dream brought on by the near-death experience.
And you think that because...?
If you watch the end of the episode, Picard himself is unsure if it was Q or some sort of dream like near-death experience.

Warmest Wishes,
Whoa Nellie
Old December 20 2010, 01:05 AM   #17
iguana_tonante
Admiral

I agree, I was just curious to learn why he "assumed" it was a fevered dream. I thought it might be something more than that.
Old December 20 2010, 07:44 AM   #18
CoveSanta
Rear Admiral

An interesting possibility. If it was a dream of some sort, then Picard's subconscious took the opportunity to teach his conscious mind something it was not aware of. Because Picard himself admits that up until that point, he regretted much of his past and would have wanted to "undo" it. Only through the experiences he underwent in that episode did he come to realize how important those events were in shaping the man he became.
CoveSanta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2010, 07:12 PM   #19
Shon T'Hara
Lieutenant Commander

Christopher wrote:
So the only reason to accept that Picard actually died in that episode is if you implicitly trust Q's word. And if you think you can do that, then I have a beach resort on Exo III to sell you.
And to do that, you have to believe that Q actually appeared in the episode. I've always assumed the whole sequence was a fevered dream brought on by the near-death experience.
And you think that because...?
1) The episode doesn't contain "Q" in the title.

2) No one but Picard saw Q.

3) I don't recall Q ever mentioning the events of the episode in his later appearances.
Shon T'Hara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2010, 07:31 PM   #20
Too Much Fun
Commodore

But Picard doesn't actually like Q. Why would Picard dream about Q being his guide somewhere between life and the afterlife? Q always comes to Picard, he is never sought by Picard consciously or unconsciously. Frankly, I think the idea that this whole episode (aside from the scenes in sick bay) was a fantasy/hallucination/dream is ludicrous.
Too Much Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2010, 07:52 PM   #21
Christopher
Writer

1) The episode doesn't contain "Q" in the title.
Neither did "Encounter at Farpoint," "All Good Things...," or "Death Wish." Only 2/3 of the episodes featuring Q had "Q" in the title.

2) No one but Picard saw Q.
The same goes for "All Good Things...".

3) I don't recall Q ever mentioning the events of the episode in his later appearances.
The same goes for "True Q" and "All Good Things...".

The most you can legitimately say about "Tapestry" from these points is that it might not have really happened. It can't be conclusively proven that it did, but neither can it be conclusively proven that it didn't. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2010, 08:59 PM   #22
Whoa Nellie
Fleet Captain

Too Much Fun wrote: View Post
But Picard doesn't actually like Q. Why would Picard dream about Q being his guide somewhere between life and the afterlife?
Picard mentions that there were untidy parts of him he wished he could remove. Q simply may have been the most logical and/or immediate paradigm his mind could generate to explore those regrets.

Christopher wrote: View Post
The most you can legitimately say about "Tapestry" from these points is that it might not have really happened. It can't be conclusively proven that it did, but neither can it be conclusively proven that it didn't. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
The old you can't prove a negative. Picard is uncertain as to whether or not it was truly Q and the audience is left uncertain. This ambiguity is one of the things that makes this episode so wonderful. The other thing I love about this episode is that like the TOS episode "The Enemy Within" did with Kirk's character, "Tapestry" does a beautiful job of showing that it takes both the erudite and well as the "Hell bent for leather" ensign who was stabbed through the heart in a barroom brawl facets to make Picard the flagship captain.

Warmest Wishes,
Whoa Nellie
Old December 28 2010, 04:03 PM   #23
siskokid888
Fleet Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
Gary7 wrote: View Post
I'm not so certain that an omnipotent being like Q would consider the human race a bunch of pets. No, once there's a certain level of sentience, there is a degree of appreciation and respect.
But how do you define sentience? Modern cognitive science is increasingly demonstrating that sentience is a continuum, that many animals show a greater degree of self-awareness and cognitive complexity than we have recognized or been willing to admit. There's abundant evidence to demonstrate that great apes, dolphins, and maybe elephants are intelligent, self-aware beings, and yet our society still keeps them in zoos or circuses, and some keep baby chimps as pets. So even within our species, there's no consensus on what actually constitutes a level of sapience worthy of personhood. To a Q, humanity's ability to write books and build starships may be no more impressive than a chimp's ability to learn sign language or fish for termites with a stick is to the many humans who are aware of such skills but still dismiss the notion that anything nonhuman could be truly sapient.
My memory may be faulty (and usually is), but I thought I recalled Q refering to humans as some kind of single celled life form in comparison to himself. Can't remember what ep, but if he did say it, it would give creedence to the "pet" theroy.
"Enterprise, starship, the places you've been to, the things that you've shown us, the stories you tell, Enterprise, starship we sing to your spirit and the beings that have served you so long and so well"
siskokid888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2010, 04:33 PM   #24
the G-man
Commodore

Does Q love Picard? Yes, like a human could love a cat, or probably more accurataly, a pet amoeba. Still, it's love nonetheless.

In fact, it's clear to me that, beyond all the mocking and putting down, Q likes humans, and feels some kind of connection with them, and especially with Picard (who's the perfect "straight man" for his antics). ....

As for Q being a villain, I don't think he's ever been portrayed as such... He puts obstacles in the way of our crew with the explicit purpose of having them overtaken by them. It's his way (cruel but effective) to teach humanity a lesson ...
Yes to all of this.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2010, 12:06 AM   #25
Neutral Zone
Captain

Don't know if Q love Picard, but more that he had weakness for the crew of the Enterprise and mankind. He treated them like a favourite toy that he would throw about when he was bored.
Neutral Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2010, 02:10 PM   #26
LaBarre
Commander

Of course Q loved Picard - in a Q sorta way.

Who doesn't?
LaBarre is offline   Reply With Quote