Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 19 2010, 07:17 PM   #706
the G-man
Commodore

Re: AMC's The Walking Dead Season 1 Discussion & Spoilers

PsychoPere wrote: View Post
the G-man wrote: View Post
[...] the writers were smart to establish early on that the TV series won't slavishly follow the comic book. [...]
That depends on what you mean by "slavishly." Darabont and Hurd have consistently stated that the comic series provides the roadmap that the television series will travel, and that the tv series will take some logical detours off of that path but will always return to the path of the comics.
Shane's current fate and the CDC sequence already demonstrate they aren't slavishly following the comics.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2010, 07:35 PM   #707
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

Shane's current fate and the CDC sequence already demonstrate they aren't slavishly following the comics.
I don't think it shows anything more than what Darabont, Hurd, and Kirkman have said to expect: same roadmap, with detours. That's really all that either of those situations is. I expect Shane will ultimately die in the same manner as he did in the comics, and the CDC detour was exactly that - a perfect example of the "detour" phrase the producers keep using.

It comes down to a semantic matter of degrees, I suppose. It should be self-evident, from before the series even premiered, that The Walking Dead on AMC as a long-form adaptation was never going to, in a literal sense, "slavishly" adapt The Walking Dead published by Image Comics. It does not, however, follow from that obvious fact that the series is going to divert in a major way from the comics plotlines, and the producers have stated the exact opposite stance anyways.

Last edited by PsychoPere; December 19 2010 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Additions.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2010, 01:50 AM   #708
McCoy
Commodore

I wonder if they'll have Rick descend on TV the way he has in the comic though. He gets pretty dark and amoral, for the "hero" of the series.
McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2010, 02:55 AM   #709
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

I only have clear recollections (or relatively clear, at least) through issue #49, but I really hope so. From what I've heard of Breaking Bad post-season one (which is the only season I've seen so far), Bryan Cranston's character is pretty much considered irredeemable, and we've had other nicely dark and amoral characters on cable as well (Tony Soprano, Vic Mackey, etc.). From their track record so far, I don't think AMC would be too concerned about shying away from that sort of characterization, so I'd be interested in seeing how Darabont and company could pull it off.

Speaking of the issues, I recently borrowed two hardcovers from a friend in order to work on getting caught up. I have books five and six, so I'll get up to issue #72 through these, then get fully caught up with single issues.
Old December 20 2010, 04:15 AM   #710
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

McCoy wrote: View Post
I wonder if they'll have Rick descend on TV the way he has in the comic though. He gets pretty dark and amoral, for the "hero" of the series.
I like Rick as the "sheriff" type morally upright character. Since they've kept Shane in the story, they can offload the dark stuff onto him. Shane should be the guy who yells at Rick that they need to do something nasty to survive, and then is the guy to do it, behind Rick's back if necessary.

This allows Rick to keep his leadership standing and maintain the group's morale. If Shane does something bad for the benefit of the group, it's not as damaging as if Rick did the same thing. They need a good guy to look up to. As time goes by, both Rick and Shane realize that this unsettling arrangement is for the best. I think both actors will do very well with that division of labor.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2010, 04:17 AM   #711
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

I only have clear recollections (or relatively clear, at least) through issue #49, but I really hope so. From what I've heard of Breaking Bad post-season one (which is the only season I've seen so far)
I'm going to have to stop you right there and order you to pick up the second season at once! It's my favorite show that still airs new episodes.
Old December 20 2010, 07:29 PM   #712
JD
Admiral

Ok, I know this a major spoiler, but what is it that happens to Shane that you guys keep talking about?
Old December 20 2010, 07:40 PM   #713
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

sidious618 wrote: View Post
I only have clear recollections (or relatively clear, at least) through issue #49, but I really hope so. From what I've heard of Breaking Bad post-season one (which is the only season I've seen so far)
I'm going to have to stop you right there and order you to pick up the second season at once! It's my favorite show that still airs new episodes. It was similar to the scene with Shane and Rick in season one that Dale walked in on, except more intense and wasn't simply interrupted.
I plan on getting caught up at some point, but I'm currently unemployed, so it's going to be a while, unfortunately.

JD wrote: View Post
Ok, I know this a major spoiler, but what is it that happens to Shane that you guys keep talking about?
Old December 20 2010, 08:19 PM   #714
Alpha Romeo
Vice Admiral

Just scored the Compendium # 1 for christmas. Already a quarter way in. How far will that get me issue wise?
Old December 20 2010, 08:20 PM   #715
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

Compendium Volume 1 contains the first 48 issues, out of a current 79. There won't be another compendium volume until the series reaches 96 issues, of course.

If you don't think you can wait that long (and, trust me, it will be difficult!), check out this post where I outlined the other collected edition options.
Old December 20 2010, 08:23 PM   #716
scnj
Captain

Alpha Romeo wrote: View Post
Just scored the Compendium # 1 for christmas. Already a quarter way in. How far will that get me issue wise?
The Compendium is 1-48 plus a small Christmas story. That's up to the end of volume 8.
scnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2010, 08:28 PM   #717
the G-man
Commodore

I don't think it shows anything more than what Darabont, Hurd, and Kirkman have said to expect: same roadmap, with detours. That's really all that either of those situations is. I expect Shane will ultimately die in the same manner as he did in the comics, and the CDC detour was exactly that - a perfect example of the "detour" phrase the producers keep using.

It comes down to a semantic matter of degrees, I suppose. It should be self-evident, from before the series even premiered, that The Walking Dead on AMC as a long-form adaptation was never going to, in a literal sense, "slavishly" adapt The Walking Dead published by Image Comics.
So you agree with me. Got it.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2010, 09:18 PM   #718
McCoy
Commodore

Temis the Red-Nosed Vorta wrote: View Post
I like Rick as the "sheriff" type morally upright character. Since they've kept Shane in the story, they can offload the dark stuff onto him. Shane should be the guy who yells at Rick that they need to do something nasty to survive, and then is the guy to do it, behind Rick's back if necessary.

This allows Rick to keep his leadership standing and maintain the group's morale. If Shane does something bad for the benefit of the group, it's not as damaging as if Rick did the same thing. They need a good guy to look up to. As time goes by, both Rick and Shane realize that this unsettling arrangement is for the best. I think both actors will do very well with that division of labor.
They could do that, and they might, but it's a "safe" choice. Rick does some pretty dark things, and sometimes loses the group's confidence, but so far he's not disappeared completely and he gets the confidence back. Plus the members of the group are constantly changing anyway, as people die and new ones are encountered.
McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2010, 04:58 AM   #719
Morpheus 02
Commodore

Temis the Red-Nosed Vorta wrote: View Post

They could do that, and they might, but it's a "safe" choice. Rick does some pretty dark things, and sometimes loses the group's confidence, but so far he's not disappeared completely and he gets the confidence back. Plus the members of the group are constantly changing anyway, as people die and new ones are encountered.
But the base TV audience will remain the same...and how many of us might bail if RIck consistently gets too dark? i think i might. i am not expecting 100% success or infallibility...but at least some hope in the midst of despair.

Rick expressed admiration for G's leadership in "Vatos", and it would be a shame if Rick completely turned away without coming back.
Morpheus 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2010, 10:23 AM   #720
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

The thing I liked about Walking Dead is that it was written for adults. If they turn it into yet another adolescent nihilism-fest, that'll be it for me.