Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 15 2010, 08:02 AM   #76
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Re: Jon Favreau exits IRON MAN 3

Yes.
Gaith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2010, 11:55 AM   #77
Snowy Roshi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Snowy Roshi

I'm having a boner for Verhoeven... Especially if the story should ever focus on the Demon in a Bottle storyline.

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Snowy Roshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2010, 01:07 PM   #78
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

I don't know how reliable this website is, but they have a slightly different take on it:

http://comicbookmovie.com/fansites/s...?a=26487#int27

Comparing Iron Man 2 to the original, many people were left wondering, “What happened?” The answer, according to an exclusive scoop sent to CBM’s SciFi Media Zone, may offer up an explanation for Jon Favreau not directing Iron Man 3 that has less to do with salary and more to do with an alleged rift with star Robert Downey, Jr.
“What happened is that on the first one they sort threw the script out and kind of improvised the whole thing and they stuck a landing,” says the source, a prolific member of the Hollywood community whose identity can't be revealed, but who's about as credible as they come. “They stuck the landing and it turned out to be a good movie. Then the attitude was, ‘Let’s do it again.’ The problem is that if you do it once, you’re lucky. Trying to do it twice, your odds of success aren’t that great. Robert Downey Jr. and the director, Jon Favreau, their friendship broke up over that whole mess of the second movie. Did you notice they didn’t do press together?”

The question, of course, is why they had this falling out. “Because the movie sucked, and I think Robert Downey, Jr. blamed Jon Favreau. That’s why Downey dropped out of Cowboys and Aliens, because he didn’t want to work with Jon Favreau again. Also, by the way, it’s why Jon Favreau dropped out of The Avengers. I thought the odds of him directing Iron Man 3 were slim, and that proved right.“
I'm not entirely convinced by this explanation, omitting, as it does, any reference to Marvel interference or the Avengers stuff. Then again, RDJ exiting Cowboys and Aliens did come as a surprise and this may explain it.
Old December 15 2010, 02:14 PM   #79
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

I for one am happy he is out. IM2 was wrong on so many levels and right from the opening scenes the pacing of the film was just not right. I was mostly bored by IM2 and really didnt want to see another take on IM by the same director. Now they can get a director in there who wants to play ball with the overall Marvel theme that is being created. Maybe introduce the Wrecking Crew as the villians which would tie into Loki and Thor and the Avengers.
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2010, 03:18 PM   #80
Dusty Ayres
Commodore

Jolly Ole Saint RoJo wrote: View Post
To be fair, he hates "Alien: Resurrection" as much as any of us.
YOU hate Alien: Resurrection. Not all of 'us' do-I like it fine, mainly the Director's Cut.

I also liked Iron Man II and thought that it was great.

Shazam! wrote: View Post
I had no problem with The Avengers stuff in Iron Man 2. The real problem with that movie was the horrendous 'Tony Stark is dying but wait! his dad just happened to invent the stuff that could cure him' angle.
I also had no problem with that-I think that it was the best main plot I've ever seen in a movie, and a great way to solve the problem of what was killing Tony. My hope for the next movie is that the fat asshole in the government realizes why Tony didn't want anybody else to get the Iron Man armors and backs off from bugging him further.
Dusty Ayres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2010, 03:27 PM   #81
Satyrquaze
Vice Admiral

sad.
Old December 15 2010, 04:14 PM   #82
Dusty Ayres
Commodore

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
If people were required to know how the film business works before commenting, the internet would be a barren wasteland...
Actually, it would be a place where truly knowing something, instead of going off on half-cocked info, would be valued as a plus and as a sign of intelligence instead of being stupid. I've seen this in politics as well; the Canadian left-wing website Rabble is one example.

Rabble would be great if it could dial down the anti-American, anti-police invective seen at its BBS. But instead, all I see when I go there (and I may truly stop doing so this year) is the same thing repeated, ad infinitum, and ad nauseaum. It isn't any better than what goes on at a right-wing site, and it's just as worse. I've seen people at websites devoted to home video act like bratty little children because their favorite old TV show isn't on DVD yet, or because some portion of an old show on DVD could't have it's music-which repeats (like most shows of the 1950's and 1960's) itself over and over (The Fugitive Soundtrack Debacle).

NONE of this behavior helps the Internet any, and just makes it look like a den of unintelligent people who constantly play The Telephone Game with regards to how the entertainment industry functions (this was also commented in the famous 2004 article
Clueless Morons by Lee Goldberg.) 'Before you mouth off on something, you should know something' should be the mantra everybody goes by, off and online.

Last edited by Dusty Ayres; December 15 2010 at 07:06 PM.
Dusty Ayres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2010, 06:56 PM   #83
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
T'Baio wrote: View Post
Admiral2 wrote: View Post

Far as I'm concerned, his name's in the credits, he's partially to blame. The script's the backbone of a film.
You don't really know how the film business works, do you?
If people were required to know how the film business works before commenting, the internet would be a barren wasteland...
Okay, enough!

Listen to me carefully:

The ending was not the only problem. The whole damn movie was the problem, and if Joss Whedon was apologetic about it it was only because he was sorry he didn't have total control over it, the better to reward his slavering fans with yet another JW joint, which would have been Serenity with Aliens, the prospect of which was hinted at in Resurrection and makes my skin crawl, and if the studio "interfered" it only served to save us from the full force of Whedon's moronic, half-assed ideas about science fiction.

I don't care if he hated the movie, I don't care that others have absolved him of responsibility for it, I would rather subject myself to Twilight/True Blood marathon than watch any superhero movie that Whedon has total control over.

-Elsa on what she learned from Anna
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2010, 06:58 PM   #84
RoJoHen
Awesome

I'm getting the feeling that you don't like Joss Whedon.
Old December 15 2010, 07:45 PM   #85
Garak
Talk to me, like lovers do

So was John Favreau required by the eeeevil studio higher ups and Marvel to have the Iron Man dancers at the Stark Expo?

Inquiring minds want to know, and fortunately for me it seems we have several people posting here who are privy to exactly what went on behind the scenes!
Garak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2010, 07:47 PM   #86
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

I find people like Favreau and Whedon greatly interesting as creators - what they do is not quite like what other people do (and not much like one another). I'll tolerate quality that varies from great to "meh" if my experience is that I'm likely to be surprised or moved or get a real laugh out of someone's work; there is no shortage of reliably pedestrian directors and writers after all. Most of Hollywood is like some kind of mid-range supermarket wine - it'll do the job every time but who wants to drink all that much of it?

OTOH, I don't give a fuck what the future of any "franchise" is (with the possible sentimental exception of Star Trek, of course). If Marvel or DC is determined to churn out acceptable, profitable and bland action movies they can both sink into the sea for all I care and drown their spiders and bats with them.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2010, 07:54 PM   #87
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Actually Admiral2 doesn't like Joss writing anything to do with sci-fi...I think he's fine with him writing Buffy

Guy Ritchie is probably not on that list because of "Sherlock Holmes" and he has a King Arthur project following that up so he's busy. Out of the directors listed I'd be excited for Neil Blomkamp who's next project is "Elysium" and Duncan Jones who is supposed to be doing "Mute" after "Source Code". Interesting that this is the second superhero movie short list he has shown up on.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2010, 08:25 PM   #88
Trent Roman
Rear Admiral

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
Neill Blomkamp (District 9), Ben Stiller (Tropic Thunder), Shane Black (Kiss, Kiss, Bang, Bang), Peter Berg (The Rundown), Duncan Jones (Moon) and Paul Verhoeven (RoboCop) have all been short-listed to replace Favreau.
Duncan Jones--too serious. Ben Stiller--not serious enough. Of those listed here, I think Verhoeven would be my first choice (though it seems like he hasn't made a movie in quite a while). Starship Troopers was packed with futuristic combat action with a heavy dollop of mordant humour. That is, in many ways, how I would describe the first Iron Man movie. He'd be prime to recapture that sensibility.

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
I'm not entirely convinced by this explanation, omitting, as it does, any reference to Marvel interference or the Avengers stuff. Then again, RDJ exiting Cowboys and Aliens did come as a surprise and this may explain it.
I'm not, since I have no idea why people keep getting hung-up on the Avengers stuff, insisting that a brief interlude in a feature-length film is responsible for everything they perceive to be wrong about it (and I, for one, liked Iron Man 2). I am, however, familiar with RDJr's reputation as being sometimes difficult to work with.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman
Old December 15 2010, 08:44 PM   #89
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral

I'm sure preproduction on this doesn't start up for at little while, so they have plenty of time to find a suitable replacement. I do think Joss's sensibilities match Favreau moreso than some of those other guys who seem like serious directors. But what do I know, maybe brannaugh or Johnston will want the job.
Obiwanshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2010, 08:48 PM   #90
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Actually Admiral2 doesn't like Joss writing anything to do with sci-fi...I think he's fine with him writing Buffy
Whereas all that stuff goes in the same bucket as far as I'm concerned. Vampires, spaceships, flying men from Krypton - it's all fantasy. Or "skiffy."
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote