Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old December 14 2010, 03:35 AM   #256
Jax
Admiral

Re: DEXTER Season 5 Discussion & Spoilers

When Deb finds out she will not accept it, she needed that curtian because if she saw the faces she kne she would have to take them in. Brother or not, I believe Deb will not accept Dexter for who he is.

Dexter stars Michael C. Hall and Jennifer Carpenter are to divorce after just two years of marriage. Representatives for the couple confirmed the news to Entertainment Weekly today.

'Having been separated for some time, Jennifer Carpenter and Michael C. Hall have filed for divorce,' the spokesman confirmed.

A source told the website that the pair have not been getting along on the set of the show this season.
awww

Ratings News
2.5 million for the live and 2.9 with the same night repeat. The show has averaged over five million when Showtime included all weekly repeats + DVR + On Demand site viewers. Infact with all of that above included Showtime has said they expect 6 million will have watched the season finale.
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2010, 03:36 AM   #257
chardman
Vice Admiral

View chardman's Twitter Profile

From the dialogue of their last scene together, Deb said a lot of stuff to Dex about learning that people weren't who you always thought they were, and about secrets and deception. And while all of this could refer to her earlier revelations about Harry, and her recent squabbles with both LaGuerta and Quinn, it could also be interpreted as referring to a strong suspicion of Dexter and his true nature. To tell ya the truth; I not only think that Deb knows the truth about Dexter, but that she's known in her heart of hearts for a long, long time. Perhaps even since childhood. In fact, I'm beginning to suspect that her becoming a cop had more to do with her wanting to help protect Dexter than any desire to follow in Harry's footsteps.

And as for Lumen leaving... Well, we've seen her get as far as the security check at the airport, with boarding pass in hand, and it came to exactly nothing. Moreover, Julia Styles let some info slip earlier in the season about the relationship between Lumen and Dex and where it was ultimately going, and the relationship she hinted at didn't really materialize. The question is, did it not materialize because TPTB altered their plans; was she simply wrong or projecting her own wishful thinking; or have they simply not materialized yet, because the relationship still isn't over? I'm guessing the latter, and think we have not seen the last of Lumen. Not by a long-shot.
Old December 14 2010, 03:36 AM   #258
Aragorn
Admiral

Up the ante for next year. What would Dexter do if he discovered a terrorist cell in Miami?
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2010, 03:46 AM   #259
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral

Aragorn wrote: View Post
It was underwhelming to tie a bow onto everything, but Quinn knows that Dexter faked the test result for him so that's got to go somewhere. And if you really want to kick a future season into high gear, have Deb find out in the FIRST EPISODE. There's your arc.
This is what I'm thinking they're going to do . Sure it would have been nice to have that revelation in this episode, so we're left wondering what will happen. Temis is right though, the writers need to grow a pair and turn Dexter's world upside down from here on out.

My only complaint for this season was that he got over Rita's death pretty quickly, although for somebody somewhat void of emotions I guess it works. I wonder how they'll solve Liddy's murder.
Obiwanshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2010, 03:49 AM   #260
Geck
Rear Admiral

Huge let-down for me. Many others have stated the same problems I had - a few too many contrivances, the Dex/Deb copout, Lumen leaving, and everyone gets off way too easily in the end. The whole Dexter universe is starting to seem a little too convenient.

Other things that bugged me were:
- Deb driving up to the camp - possibly an incredibly dangerous situation - completely alone, without calling for any backup before going in. She's not that stupid.
- Deb getting credit for "solving the Barrel Girls case" - uhhh...no she didn't.
- Jonny Lee Miller hamming it up waaaaay too much. Distracting. Too bad, as everyone else (especially Jennifer Carpenter) gave great performances this week.

Overall, I'd say it wasn't a great season. Good ideas, let down by the writing and trying to do too much. We had 6-7 episodes of Santa Muerte and developing Officer Manzon's character (who I liked a lot, actually) that ended up serving no purpose except to get Deb into the file room for 2 scenes, and then Manzon is never mentioned again. We had the World's Best Nanny, aka an easy way to get Harrison out of town so Lumen could move in. I haven't seen season 3 since it aired, but I recall the writing being much tighter even if it wasn't the most exciting season.

I hope the show steps outside the box a bit more for Season 6 and starts taking some risks again.
Geck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2010, 03:50 AM   #261
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Really, all that was accomplished this season was for Dexter to realize it's theoretically possible for someone to accept him for who he is (but didn't he already know that, or did he think Harry was some huge, unrepeatable exception)? And Deb has inched a bit further to accepting the vigilante concept, but that's not an entirely new development, just an incremental one.

When they killed off Rita last season, I was assuming (hoping?) that there was a damn good reason for it, and the payoff would be the show going places it otherwise couldn't, such as Dexter doing a total meltdown for the whole season, or using the Lumen plotline to set up Deb finding out the truth. But the minimal payoff this season makes Rita's death seem unwarranted in context. Did the writers just get sick of the "baggage" of having to write around Rita and the kids, and decided to shove them all rudely aside?

Anyway, there better be some upshot to the progress made this season. Dexter should be taking the initiative to get people to accept him for who he is. We've passed the point where it's interesting to bite my fingernails worrying that Deb might stumble across the truth.

Let's see how creative Dexter can be in setting up circumstances so he can tell her the truth, and not have it be an accident at all. And maybe he'll also try to sway Astor and Cody to his side. Maybe Astor should be the first family member to learn the truth?

Otherwise, what do they have on tap for next season? Not more status quo, I hope.
It could have also been a way to give the Dexter/Lumen relationship that bent, passionate craziness I was talking about and mold it into having that terrifying Macbeth vibe Temis the Red-Nosed Vorta was talking about a while back.
I was okay with the idea that the writers were taming Dexter down because I thought it was part of a master plan to keep Lumen in the story (but not on a regular basis, maybe she goes to prison but she and Dexter maintain their relationship). But since that didn't pan out, meh. If Dexter is going to become domesticated, they better have a damn good reason!!!

So Dexter does to her a lighter version of what Chase and his rape club did? That would definitely win Lumen's heart ...
Lumen might be damaged enough that it would "win her heart" but the real point of it would be to return this show to the idea of S1-S2, when Dexter was portrayed as someone who was not any better than those he killed, and the only reason he was limiting himself to "bad guys" was out of blind reverence for Harry's Code. That Dexter was perfectly capable of killing innocent people - he almost killed Deb in the S1 finale. He'd certainly be capable of drugging and manipulating Lumen.

So yes, if this show were still written that way, Dexter could be portrayed as someone who is really no better than Jordan Chase. He's just operating under different constraints, that's all. I miss that Dexter. He's getting way too domesticated and the show is getting too conservative and cowardly. It's not on network TV, so what are they afraid of?

I think there was some writer who left at the end of S2, wasn't there? And after that, I noticed the show lost a lot of its wit and terrifying edge. I don't think the current writers really "get" Dexter at the core, or they're afraid to write for a character like that. Get that S1-S2 guy back, drug him, I don't care!

Last edited by Temis the Vorta; December 14 2010 at 04:07 AM.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2010, 04:09 AM   #262
Geck
Rear Admiral

Temis the Red-Nosed Vorta wrote: View Post
Let's see how creative Dexter can be in setting up circumstances so he can tell her the truth, and not have it be an accident at all.
I really like that idea, actually. It would be a nice change in the general story arc that all 5 seasons have (more or less) followed. Rather than Dex being on the run and focused on covering his tracks, have him actively setting a trail for her and nudging her along, without being obvious about it. Would lead to a good payoff in the end, too, so long as her reaction ends up being worth the buildup.
Old December 14 2010, 05:02 AM   #263
chardman
Vice Admiral

Geck wrote: View Post
Huge let-down for me. ...things that bugged me were:
- Deb driving up to the camp - possibly an incredibly dangerous situation - completely alone, without calling for any backup before going in. She's not that stupid.
That's not stupid, but an incredibly smart move, as I believe that it was her intent to help the vigilantes kill Jordan Chase, or to off him herself, and backup would have made either of those ideas impossible.

Remember, we've seen Deb express understanding, sympathy, and even admiration for her theoretical vigilantes, and her "affection" for them seemed to increase every time she broached the subject, particularly in her conversations with with Dexter. So much so that the idea of Deb directly exacting justice is certainly something that I could see her exploring.

It's been clear to me for several episodes now, that Deb would either insure that the vigilantes would get away with it, or actually take part in their act of vengeance against Chase, particularly when/if she realized that Dex was involved. In fact, the only problem I've had with the season is that they telegraphed this so early on, and that when Deb actually did let them get away with it, it came as absolutely no surprise to me whatsoever. I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop, expecting that this obviously telegraphed revelation was designed to distract us from an even bigger revelation, which unfortunately never came.
Old December 14 2010, 05:08 AM   #264
chardman
Vice Admiral

Geck wrote: View Post
Let's see how creative Dexter can be in setting up circumstances so he can tell her the truth, and not have it be an accident at all.
I really like that idea, actually. It would be a nice change in the general story arc that all 5 seasons have (more or less) followed. Rather than Dex being on the run and focused on covering his tracks, have him actively setting a trail for her and nudging her along, without being obvious about it. Would lead to a good payoff in the end, too, so long as her reaction ends up being worth the buildup.
Well, in the spirit of my last few posts, I figure that Deb will learn Dex's secret, (and vice versa) when they both show up to exact vigilante justice on the very same perp.
Old December 14 2010, 06:00 AM   #265
Geck
Rear Admiral

chardman wrote: View Post
That's not stupid, but an incredibly smart move, as I believe that it was her intent to help the vigilantes kill Jordan Chase, or to off him herself, and backup would have made either of those ideas impossible.
I dunno, the way Carpenter played it, I got the impression Deb had no idea what she was going to do, and only decided on the spur of the moment, after giving her speech from behind the curtain, to let them go. She's always been impulsive, especially in high-pressure situations, but I don't think she had really fully convinced herself by that point that she would help them. She was still deeply conflicted. Even as she left and let them go, I got the impression she was still doubting whether she was making the right call.
Old December 14 2010, 08:21 AM   #266
14thDoctor
Rear Admiral

Really, all that was accomplished this season was for Dexter to realize it's theoretically possible for someone to accept him for who he is (but didn't he already know that, or did he think Harry was some huge, unrepeatable exception)?
Point of order: Harry killed himself shortly after he actually saw Dexter kill someone, so Harry doesn't really count as someone who completely accepted him.
Old December 14 2010, 11:05 AM   #267
billcosby
Commodore

Maybe Deb will find out about Dexter when she and Dex are put into a situation where they will be forced to kill someone, outside of the law.

I hope they put Doakes into all of this as well. When LaGuerta finds out... that too will be interesting.

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2010, 12:00 PM   #268
Ensign_Redshirt
Commodore

Well, this season finale was one hell of a reset button episode. Deb fails to find out about Dexter in one of the most contrived ways possible, Lumen is probably gone for good, Rita's kids are back with Dexter etc.

Very disappointed compared to Season 4's game-changer finale (plus, it had John Lithgow whose sheer brilliance made Season 4 one of my favorite Dexter seasons besides Season 1 ).

Last edited by Ensign_Redshirt; December 14 2010 at 12:42 PM.
Ensign_Redshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2010, 12:17 PM   #269
MichaelDornFan
Lieutenant Commander

I'm very disappointed. I could write a big long post about everything wrong with the finale. And there's so much I could complain about (Like what about the car crash!? ANOTHER one? Really!? What happened to that fresh car accident? Did Deb just drive by it? Did the police just ignore it?! Are you seriously telling me Dexter didn't possibly leave blood behind?!), but it's late... Blech. By far the worst season.
MichaelDornFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2010, 12:44 PM   #270
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

Well, it wasn't great, but I find it funny that people say "let Dexter go out on a good note, this is a great season", then "I'm never watching again" in the span of a week. It wasn't THAT bad.

I know a lot of you (I can't do it personally, my imagination is lame), sit around and think up how shows are going to end episodes or years in advance, and when it actually comes time for season finales, there's something awesome built up in your head that makes anything that airs seem lame.

Everybody wanted Deb to find out this season, so now that she hasn't, the season is the worst ever?