USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old December 11 2010, 05:28 AM   #16
Saquist
Commodore

Re: Mass Effect 3

I think that the next game is going to be about the construction of another Mass Relay.

It doesn't make sense that if they had a standby that they would use the Second Mass Effect to just tell about a Huge Reaper and a recruiting process if there was a Second Relay some way. They said at the end "we'll find another way" not we have alternatives.

Theirs a Mass Relay being built somewhere where we don't know and it's going to be finished and the forces of all the Reapers are will class head to head with Forces of the Galaxy, the Rachni the Salarians, the Krogan, the Asari, the Batarians, the Quarians the Geth.

It's going to be about maintaining the alliances we've made to finish the job.
Saquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2010, 11:34 AM   #17
Reverend
Rear Admiral

I think that the next game is going to be about the construction of another Mass Relay.

It doesn't make sense that if they had a standby that they would use the Second Mass Effect to just tell about a Huge Reaper and a recruiting process if there was a Second Relay some way. They said at the end "we'll find another way" not we have alternatives.
What Harbinger had the Collectors doing and what the other Reapers were doing aren't mutually exclusive activities. Nothing about building a human Reaper does anything to get the other Reapers back from dark space and so it's failure wouldn't directly impact any endeavour to that end.

When Harbinger actually said was: -
"Pathetic human. You've changed nothing. You have merely attracted the attention of those infinitely your greater. Those you know as Reapers shall be your salvation through destruction. You have failed. We will find another way...releasing control."
It's all there. Stopping the Collectors didn't change their plans, just caused them to target Earth first.

I suppose it's also possible "You have failed. We will find another way...releasing control." was all directed at the Collector general rather than Shep, but it makes little difference either way.

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
Competitive multiplayer wouldn't be something I'd be interested in, but the game is almost screaming out for a co-op mode. One person could play as Shepard and make all the decisions, while I could play as Garrus. I'd stop playing singleplayer altogether and I'd just stick to being Garrus 100% of the time.
So you'll spend 90% of the time hanging around in one spot, waiting for the other player to come talk to you?
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2010, 03:52 PM   #18
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Reverend wrote: View Post
What Harbinger had the Collectors doing and what the other Reapers were doing aren't mutually exclusive activities. Nothing about building a human Reaper does anything to get the other Reapers back from dark space and so it's failure wouldn't directly impact any endeavour to that end.
I had assumed that they were going to use the human Reaper (along with another Geth heretic fleet) to launch another attack on the Citadel and activate the relay to dark space.

So you'll spend 90% of the time hanging around in one spot, waiting for the other player to come talk to you?
I'll spend that time doing important calibrations!
Old December 11 2010, 04:35 PM   #19
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

firehawk12 wrote: View Post
As mentioned elsewhere, BioWare needs to get out of the "recruitathon" style of storytelling, especially when this was basically the plot of Dragon Age.
Well depending on how the suicide mission went you should already have a full crew unless they want to blow the Normandy up again, of course if they do they Shepard wants a bar in the new new one.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2010, 05:26 PM   #20
Saquist
Commodore

Reverend wrote: View Post

When Harbinger actually said was: -
"Pathetic human. You've changed nothing. You have merely attracted the attention of those infinitely your greater. Those you know as Reapers shall be your salvation through destruction. You have failed. We will find another way...releasing control."
It's all there. Stopping the Collectors didn't change their plans, just caused them to target Earth first.

I suppose it's also possible "You have failed. We will find another way...releasing control." was all directed at the Collector general rather than Shep, but it makes little difference either way.
I'm pretty sure that last bit was directed at the Collectors.
It seems clear to me that whatever the Collectors were doing with that absurdly large cyborg it had something to do with another relay.

Clearly Shepard had already attracted the attention of the Reapers when he stop the first Geth Invasion of the Citadel. They hunted down the Normandy and attempted...(shrug) consume? Sheppards body for some reason like he was special or something.

I got no sensation of a Grand Plan in the 2nd Mass Effect it was all Exposition and Recruiting which to me is just an extention of the First Game.

If they already had that Mass Relay they would have used it in the two year interval...clearly they had plenty of minions to activate it...the Geth and Collectors combined. Infact I find it rather odd that the Collectors weren't part of the first invasion....makes no sense. It would be lame to do another...lost relay...they've done it twice now and to go back to the same barrel...would be flat after what they achieved in the First Game.

No..it only makes sense if some where another mass relay is being built. It's like the Supergate from Stargate. The First Gate was pure miss direction, the second gate was built elsewhere away from the Milky Way's attention and from there a Beach head was established. Remember these guys built the Mass Relays...they can build another when ever the wish.

-------

One things for sure...I could never see how the Galaxy could survive if that Dark Relay gets built and the Reapers come through. It would have be limited somehow...I mean we're obviously building up to a climatic end where huge fleets will be needed both ground and Space....Either that means the Reapers are massing minions elsewhere or the Reapers actually succeed in coming through the Relay...

If that happens...
I think this will be one of THE Greatest Games in History.
Saquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2010, 07:05 PM   #21
Jax
Admiral

Going to be the best GAME EVER

and speaking of VGA - does anyone know any other place showing the show since I assume the official website will be American viewers only?. I think non americans can view it on site 24 hours later but I really watt to watch it live.
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2010, 08:13 PM   #22
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Saquist wrote: View Post
If they already had that Mass Relay they would have used it in the two year interval...clearly they had plenty of minions to activate it...the Geth and Collectors combined. Infact I find it rather odd that the Collectors weren't part of the first invasion....makes no sense. It would be lame to do another...lost relay...they've done it twice now and to go back to the same barrel...would be flat after what they achieved in the First Game.
The Collectors may have been formidable, but there's no way they'd have been much use in the Eden Prime War. All they appear to have is one base, and one very big ship...that's all. They're good at sneaking around and taking out defensless colonies and isolated ships but the Citadel fleet? No. Hell even Sovereign couldn't hold it's own against one of Earth's fleets. That whole battle sequence at the end of ME1 was just a mad dash to get the Citadel Relay open before the Reaper's kinetic barriers failed. The Geth on the other hand were recruited as canon fodder, so they were much more useful.

As for the rest, it's all under the assumption that Mass Relays are the only way Reapers know how to get around. They have been around for billions of years and I'm sure they have plenty more tools at their disposal than what we've seen already. Don't forget that the Mass Relay network was specifically created as a giant mouse trap, not necessarily as the Reapers' only means of getting around the galaxy.

Given what was going on with the stars I'll take a wild guess and say they're either collapsing stars to form singularities, wormholes or some such...OR they're building some kind of quantum entanglement teleporter.

As for the Human Reaper, it's not clear exactly what it's function would have been since there's still plenty we don't understand about the nature of Reapers. Whatever it's intended function, it's clear that just another run at the Citadel would be a bad idea. Plus they didn't want to build just any old Reaper, they specifically singled out humans.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2010, 02:03 AM   #23
Skywalker
Admiral

You know, this leaked plot synopsis makes those pictures and other stuff BioWare released last month, with the human soldier with the Incisor sniper rifle in some sort of hovercraft over an Earth-like planet, make a lot more sense.

The VGAs are starting now. Never actually watched one of these, but what the heck, I'm curious. And Neil Patrick Harris is hosting, so that's cool.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2010, 02:44 AM   #24
Skywalker
Admiral

MASS EFFECT 3 officially announced!

Teaser online! Scheduled for Holiday 2011. This, plus TES5, is going to make for an expensive Christmas.
Old December 12 2010, 02:52 AM   #25
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

The livestream I was watching was pulled only a minute after the ME3 trailer! Thank the goddess.

So, yeah. Apparently the Reapers don't like the British. I'm good with that.
Old December 12 2010, 03:15 AM   #26
Skywalker
Admiral

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
So, yeah. Apparently the Reapers don't like the British. I'm good with that.
Uh oh. The Reapers have indoctrinated the Irish!
Old December 12 2010, 03:25 AM   #27
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

That which you know as Reapers are your salvation through free whiskey.

At least, that's what they promised us.
Old December 12 2010, 03:27 AM   #28
Mr Light
Admiral

At first the idea of playing on Earth sounded lame, but after seeing that trailer I'm suddenly excited by it.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2010, 04:10 AM   #29
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty

I hope they convert Big Ben into a hangar for the Normandy. It would make no sense at all, and kick all kinds of ass.
Old December 12 2010, 04:17 AM   #30
Jax
Admiral

I think I just creamed myself

FUCK ME that looks epic, sequel to the best game EVER.
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote