Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 10 2010, 07:03 PM   #31
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: Inception - on DVD/ BR now

Zimmer's score is fantastic. Second favorite score of the year for me...until I heard "Black Swan". Anyways yeah I caught Cobb's son building a castle too...if that was meant as a subtle nod to being an Architect.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2010, 09:53 PM   #32
The Squire of Gothos
Rear Admiral

Wassail Drunk wrote: View Post
the mind-bending use of dreams and how they "work."
What you said invites the same question I asked him, what is so "mind bending" about it all?

I've seen guides online (such as this one) explaining how everyone is in one dream or another. Right. Ok. I get that. It's a complex scenario. Lot of ins, lot of outs. You have to pay attention. A lot of crime thrillers work like that. It's not unique.

their caper is a bit more complex than a straight-up heist. I mean they weren't breaking into th guy's mind to get secrets, to steal money or anything like that they were doing it to implant an idea in him and, further, they even made him part of the heist.
Maybe this is where I'm diverging from the people who really like the film. Is it the idea that they go into someone else's mind, or how they go about doing it that's the exciting bit. I mean, is it simply that they're in someone else's mind, and just that fact alone, that has caught people's attention so?

So far as this is set inside a dream world, apart from some slow motion and zero gravity work (oh yes, and the "train of thought" ) you don't feel like you're in a dream world. You're just in another place. The Matrix and (dare I say it) eXistenz managed getting across the unsettling idea of slipping between realities so much better.

After all this, I'm not saying the film was bad. I'm not saying it was average. As I said to my coworker, great film, very entertaining, glad I pre-booked to see it on the big screen. But that's it. Having the whole thing wash over me, I'm done. I don't need to trod through the whole thing again. It's just not a masterpiece. I went away thinking, technically well done, but that's it.

I never thought it was in any way as clever as I'm told I'm supposed to think it was. I don't see why you can't say that's it's very well made but still boils down to something pretty straightforward, with a little tweest in the ending.

And yes, a Daddy who works as a thief and hangs around with a mentally unstable fellow junkie? He's a dead beat, no matter how hard he wants to be back with his kids.
Old December 10 2010, 10:01 PM   #33
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

We can't say that it is straight forward because it isn't...and everyone is entitled to their opinions. Nolan originally planned "Inception" as a horror flick but decided it would be much more fascinating to explore his idea as a heist film with a slight science fiction twang because of his ongoing fascination with dreams. If this film was so straight forward as you would have us believe (again I'm not attacking your beliefs or opinions on the movie I'm trying to give insight into the complexity of the film) then it wouldn't have taken Nolan almost ten years to bring his idea to fruition. Indeed I don't think this movie is a unique film since Nolan has admitted to have influences from "Dark City" "The Matrix" "The Thirteenth Floor" and his own film "Memento" (which is kind of like a warm up for "Inception".

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2010, 11:07 PM   #34
The Squire of Gothos
Rear Admiral

I was puzzled when I heard about the long gestation period for the script, I figured he needed to wait for the right special effects to become available.

It was ages ago that I caught Memento, but I remember that being quite a clever film, without the massive budget that Inception required.
Old December 10 2010, 11:25 PM   #35
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

The Squire of Gothos wrote: View Post
the mind-bending use of dreams and how they "work."
What you said invites the same question I asked him, what is so "mind bending" about it all?
It probably "really" means something very different than how I treat it and even different than how others treat it but for me any movie that can get my imagination running in a manner that makes me think of time, space, reality and mentality is "mind bending."

The "Dream Time Dilation" thing I just love as it's just insane, crazy and just gets my mind spinning. To think that the entire last act of the movie takes place over a couple hours of "real time" (Yes it was 10-hour flight which was supposed to give them something like a week to do what they needed to do but the weaponized projections forced them to speed up their time table from a week to hours. Once the "mission" is over in "reality" everyone still had to hang around in the first dream-level for a week, avoiding the weaponized projections, to wait for the drug to wear off. It's my theory Cobb and Saito's time in "Limbo" did last the whole 10 hours which for Saito was for 200 years and Cobb was a few years. Killing themselves in Limbo allowed them to wake-up in the real world since all of the other dream levels were gone. Pure will and mental-strength allowed them to come out of the dream without their "brains going to jelly." I've theories on this, other aspects and even the above-posted link that I'll post later) but we pretty much see the action in "real time" from how everyone is experiencing it and then when the slow-mo drop of the van starts it's just nuts to me and I love that kind of stuff.

I liked the idea of manipulating "reality" inside the dream, the concept of Limbo, the concept of Cobb and Mal spending 50 years in Limbo, growing old together and then waking up with only hours having passed in Reality, the idea of implanting ideas in people (and the idea having to be very simple so the person thinks its their idea) how that idea caused Mal to question Reality and kill herself, why it has to be done so precisely (don't think of elephants), the Penrose Staircase (which I've a quibble about) and so much more.

Any movie that can make me just think and get my imagination running and think of different realities clashing with one another just bends my mind. To think that everything we see that happens in the last act occurs in the time it took the van to fall from the bridge and that, really, everything probably occured over a few minutes of flight-time.

Yeah. For me, that's enough to make a movie "mind bending" as it gets my mind racing and just thinking about how realities clash.
Old December 19 2010, 04:26 AM   #36
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

Anyone notice at times in this movie Ellen Page walks a bit strong-shouldered like she's a line backer?
Old December 19 2010, 04:29 AM   #37
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

I bought the limited edition Inception briefcase DVD, and it should arrive in a few days. I'm so excited!
Old February 7 2011, 09:45 PM   #38
Solstice
Sexy Wizard

View Solstice's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Solstice Send a message via AIM to Solstice Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Solstice Send a message via Yahoo to Solstice

Finally got around to seeing this. A very impressive film from a storytelling and visual effects standpoint. The score is also excellent. You'd have to chalk me up into the same camp that says it's a very straightforward movie, though. I went into this having virtually no spoilers, purposely avoiding them because I got the impression it would ruin the movie if I went into it knowing very much.

The mechanics of building and infiltrating dreams was all explained well enough that even the dimmest viewer could grasp it. I felt like the whole affair was a little too straightforward, and not nearly as much of a mindfuck as the buzz led me to believe. I guess people's standards are just really low for this sort of thing. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed watching it and it's an exceedingly well-crafted film, but a lot of the alleged complexity appears to consist of people reading things into it that aren't really there.

One of the things it did do well was get me invested in the dream sequences, even down into the dreams-within-dreams. That's one of the neat tricks Nolan managed to pull: the vast majority of the movie takes place inside dreams, so there are not any "real" consequences to what's happening. Nobody can really "die" in there, for instance. And yet you get caught up enough in it that it is real, or at least as real as the "real life" segments of the film. I didn't wind up feeling as though the dream sequences were less important, which is a very real risk with a movie of this type. Let's face it, the "dream within a dream" shtick has been done to death, and I thought this was a pretty fresh take on it.

The last-second ambiguity as to the reality of Cobb's homecoming was a little eye-rolling to me, as it was so obvious a card to play. A small sin I can forgive in an otherwise good movie.

I enjoy movies that question reality, especially appreciating the irony that movies are false realities in themselves. In some ways, Inception is subversive of the conventions it employs, but its narrative was surprisingly straightforward and accessible given the subject matter. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing, I guess I just don't see all the depth and complexity others do.
Solstice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2011, 10:34 PM   #39
Aragorn
Admiral

People being confused or lost by this movie says more about them than the movie.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2011, 11:10 PM   #40
RoJoHen
Awesome

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
I guess I just don't see all the depth and complexity others do.
That's because it's not there. People are just dumb.
Old February 8 2011, 12:52 AM   #41
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

My dad, who doesn't understand ANY movie actually followed this.
Old February 8 2011, 03:16 AM   #42
Aragorn
Admiral

The only twist to speak of was the reveal of the dream within a dream at the beginning. Everything else was straight forward.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2011, 04:03 AM   #43
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

Yeah there was no real "twist" other than entire premise of the movie which is pretty much revealed right away.

I took me a couple viewing in the theater to completely understand and pick up on everything in this movie but I got quite a bit after the first viewing it just took two viewings to completely put other events together and see more things in earlier moments. This was a movie I just really, really liked.
Old February 8 2011, 04:46 AM   #44
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile

I liked it too. It's already one of my favorite films. Totally blew me away.

So what exactly does that briefcase dream machine do? That's the only thing I really didn't get. Minor nitpick though.
Old February 8 2011, 05:58 AM   #45
RoJoHen
Awesome

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post

So what exactly does that briefcase dream machine do? That's the only thing I really didn't get. Minor nitpick though.
It induces telepathic dream comas. Duh.