Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 10 2010, 10:41 AM   #676
SicOne
Commodore

Re: AMC's The Walking Dead Season 1 Discussion & Spoilers

PsychoPere wrote: View Post
SicOne wrote: View Post
I don't know how to the little "spoiler alert" bar [...]
The code is [ spoiler="description" ] spoiler here [ /spoiler ]. Alternatively, when you're in the Editor, it's the last option on the formatting bar (the face with the "x" for a mouth).

Morpheus 02 wrote: View Post
i am also thinking Andrea as well who was pregnant (my wife is just finishing her morning sickness ) ...but it would be kinda creepy if Dale was the father, as he seems more like a father to the WHOLE group, especially to Andrea & her sister.
If anyone is pregnant, it's Lori because the dramatic storytelling possibilities are far greater with her than with Andrea.

Thanks for the assist, PsychoPere.
SicOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2010, 10:46 AM   #677
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

It's unlikely that they could walk across the ocean floor. It's muddy and there are all kinds of ravines and they'd be buffeted by the currents and so forth; and they wouldn't be able to see, so they'd need some magical sense of direction. Maybe they drift like seaweed until they hit land.

As to why they're not eaten by fish, perhaps the zombification process makes them unpalatable.
Old December 10 2010, 11:56 AM   #678
Reverend
Rear Admiral

I think the bit about zombie blood being more like gel than liquid was probably supposed to be how they were able to function at that depth-not the *deep* bottom, but at the crush depth of a Chinese nuclear sub IIRC-as to how they got there I think it had something to do with freighters overloaded with thousands of smuggled refugees dumping everyone into the drink after an outbreak. It's not shown to be much of a direct threat, more of an ongoing nuisance in the clean-up period with ghouls occasionally washing up on coast lines or just walking out of the surf. Either way, swimming in the ocean, seas or lakes would no longer hold much appeal.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2010, 04:29 PM   #679
Canadave
Vice Admiral

View Canadave's Twitter Profile

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
FluffyUnbound wrote: View Post
Brooks did do a good job with that. He takes full advantage of the fact that it's possible to carry his version of the zombie infection for long enough to travel continental distances.

He also has his zombies be able to walk along the bottom of the ocean, which admittedly would make defending fixed points more difficult.
Wouldn't *anything* on the ocean floor be crushed by the water pressure? Certainly anything that had once been human.
Yeah, that's what I thought, too. Certainly the Zs don't need oxygen to survive, at least in the Max Brooks Universe ("Maxiverse"?), but all that water pressure should squeeze the Zs heads like zits, destroying the brain.

Walking across a bay or a river? I can see that. But not the deep, deep ocean. And how do they climb to the continental shelf? Gaping plot hole, Max.
There is a bit of a handwave by Brooks—getting turned into Zach changes the body's physiology so that it is able to withstand things that regular humans cannot. Such as internal fluids congealing to more of a gel, inexplicable resistance to rot\decay, and their ability to walk on the ocean floor. Does it make sense? Perhaps not, but he does at least acknowledge it.
Old December 10 2010, 07:20 PM   #680
Morpheus 02
Commodore

Reverend wrote: View Post
I think the bit about zombie blood being more like gel than liquid was probably supposed to be how they were able to function at that depth-not the *deep* bottom, but at the crush depth of a Chinese nuclear sub IIRC-as to how they got there I think it had something to do with freighters overloaded with thousands of smuggled refugees dumping everyone into the drink after an outbreak. It's not shown to be much of a direct threat, more of an ongoing nuisance in the clean-up period with ghouls occasionally washing up on coast lines or just walking out of the surf. Either way, swimming in the ocean, seas or lakes would no longer hold much appeal.
i think that indeed is how zombies could cross oceans or wash ashore.

Assuming that the initial zombification started suddenly, all over the world. If you're on a Carnival cruise, and justhappen to be in the middle of the ocean (or at leats in between islands), it's possible that a boatload (literally) of people get infected. And as it's a new thing, people who have gotten bitten may jump overboard to get away, not knowing that they'll get zombified anyway.

And certainly issues like smuggled people will add to it as well.
Morpheus 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2010, 07:41 PM   #681
Reverend
Rear Admiral

^As I recall a lot of the zombie dumping came about after the panic hit India and there were literally MILLIONS of people crowding the coastal docks trying to get the hell out of the "white zone." Imagine how many people you can cram onto just one of those huge bulk freighters if you packed them it tight. In those kind of cramped conditions all it would take is for one person to be able to hide a bite and suddenly the masses of ocean ghouls isn't so surprising.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2010, 08:05 PM   #682
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Male announcer: The red zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only. There is no stopping in the white zone.
Female announcer: No, the white zone is for loading of passengers and there is no stopping in a RED zone.
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2010, 08:24 PM   #683
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Male announcer: The red zone has ALWAYS been for loading and unloading of zombies only.

Female announcer: Don't tell me which zone is for stopping and which zone is for loading!!

Male announcer: Listen, Betty. Don't start with your white zone shit again.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2010, 08:32 PM   #684
SicOne
Commodore

^ Female announcer:I know what you're really saying. You want me to get an abortion!

Male announcer:It's the only sensible alternative...
SicOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2010, 12:20 AM   #685
JD
Admiral

^What is that from?
Old December 11 2010, 12:30 AM   #686
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

The movie "Airplane!". It was the "white zone" reference that started me off.
Old December 11 2010, 12:43 AM   #687
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Has anyone ever done a Zombies-on-an-Airplane movie?
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2010, 12:47 AM   #688
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

Sorta... The recent "Resident Evil" CGI movie had an infected guy zombifying pretty much the whole plane before it crashed into the airport terminal, whereupon the fun (and the movie) properly got going.

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2010, 12:49 AM   #689
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Yes! There was the low-budget "Flight of the Living Dead" a couple years ago. And of course, the "B-17" sequence from "Heavy Metal."
Old December 11 2010, 01:14 AM   #690
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Temis the Red-Nosed Vorta wrote: View Post
Has anyone ever done a Zombies-on-an-Airplane movie?
There was a Clive Barker zombie tale, I think it was called Night of the Living Dead: London, where that happened. A woman is bitten by a zombie and manages to board a plane, where she turns and infects all the passengers and crew. The plane lands - don't ask me how - and the zombies spill out and wreak havoc throughout London.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote