"The Dark Knight Rises" storyline revealed?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Stone_Cold_Sisko, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Awww man. I was hoping for another Poison Ivy/Mr Freeze team up :shifty:

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

With Christina Hendricks as Ivy and Patrick Stewart as Freeze! That would have been awesome and a cameo from Rosie Huntington Whitely as Nora Freize.

3. Lapis Exilis

Lapis Exilis Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I could see Nolan using elements of Prey, much as he's used elements of Year One and Long Halloween - but the use of these things has been very loose. Which is good. Strange can be a very effective villain, and I'm sure Nolan will do as he's done up until now and deliver a story with several layers of antagonists. What's encouraging about this (if true) is that he doesn't seem to be being dragged off into silliness, which is always a danger at this point in a movie series.

4. Admiral_Young

Yeah I agree...like with "Year One" and "Dark Victory" and "The Man Who Laughs" along with "The Killing Joke" which have all been cited as source material that inspired the plots in "Batman Begins" and "The Dark Knight" "Prey" will undoubtedly be reworked to fit in with what the Nolans and Goyer have planned with "The Dark Knight Rises", don't think there is any question about that. It's just interesting that if true he has taken a pretty obscure and not fairly old Batman story and turned into something that will be no doubt interesting for the majority of Batman fans.

5. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I'm not a huge fan of Hendricks's but her a Poison Ivy I could see.

6. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, it's a Nolan Batman movie.

A psychological component and a lot of people talking about things is basically a given. Nolan isn't going to give us a light, breezy caped crusader caper where he punches out the Eggman being played by the best Vincent Price impersonator money can buy.

Still. If hey are using this villain I'd assume they intend to also use a more famous Batman antagonist like Catwoman but I could be wrong here.

7. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Each Nolan Batman film has had three villains technically. Yes two were dominant but still you see my point. At minimum we most likely have one more to be revealed.
    Begins= Ra's, Scarecrow, Falcone
    TDK=Scarecrow, Joker, Two-Face

I really would not be surprised to see three again.
    TDKR=Hugo Strange and Catwoman + minor appearance by another would not shock me. Perhaps Firefly? An arsonist for hire who it could be revealed did the torching that killed Rachel.

8. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Considering that Scarecrow is in TDK for, like, two minutes does he really count as a villain?

And I think the "Nolan 'Verse" Batman movies are perfect setting to do The Penguin correctly.

9. Too Much Fun

Too Much Fun Commodore Commodore

Balderdash! I WANT TALIA. :p Also, Nolan seems to have an aversion to heavily-costumed, more gimmicky villains, so I wouldn't bet on Firefly. And yes, I would call the 'third villain' in "The Dark Knight" Salvatore Maroni, not The Scarecrow.

10. Admiral_Young

I personally want Talia myself but am doubting that she will appear. I think it will be too tempting for him to use Selena as both the love interest and villain. I feel like using Talia brings the trilogy full circle and could wrap up lingering plots from "Batman Begins".

11. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

The way I look at it, we usually have one main villain (Ra's for Batman Begins; The Joker for The Dark Knight), then one supporting villain (Scarecrow for Batman Begins; Two-Face for The Dark Knight) and then one villain representing the mob element (Carmine Falcone for Batman Begins; Sal Maroni for The Dark Knight).

So we'll probably see one main villain (possibly Hugo Strange if rumors come to be true), then one supporting villain (perhaps the female villain i.e. Catwoman or Talia the trades have been talking about) and then one villain representing the mob element (which The Penguin would be perfect for, but after Nolan's comments, it'll probably be someone like Alberto Falcone or Rupert Thorne).

That's my guess, anyway.

12. Admiral_Young

The use of Falcone or Thorne would make me happy...although I can't really see someone like Alberto working after the depiction of Carmine in "Batman Begins". That'd be interesting to see Nolan make work.

13. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Simple: Alberto Falcone, angry over what happened to Carmine Falcone, decides to take back the Falcone crime family and by extension the hold on the mob. It would mirror Dark Victory and especially since the mob factions are sort of in chaos after the events of The Dark Knight, leaving a vacuum where Falcone and Maroni once were, it would make sense for competing mobsters to try and take back control.

Alberto Falcone would be a logical piece of the puzzle, probably more so than Black Mask or even The Penguin (even though he would fit as another mobster vying for mob control as well).

14. Admiral_Young

I like that suggestion. I wasn't really meaning plot wise though, I was really talking about appearance and personality. I also got the impression that this version of Carmine had no children...of course just because it wasn't mentioned in either film doesn't mean he didn't. The depiction of the film version of Carmine seems different than in the graphic novels his based on but that's just my own personal beef.

15. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Like the Joker? :p

It'd be a nice surprise if Nolan changed his mind. I'd really love to see the Penguin fill that role more than ever now.

16. Lapis Exilis

Lapis Exilis Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Alberto could be a brother rather than a son. Regardless, a mobster working in the vacuum left by Dark Knight makes sense. I could handle the Penguin, so long as it's merely a nickname given a mobster known for being cold as ice - spare me short, squat fellows with umbrellas.

I would assume part of the "Prey" rumor is because that story includes a minor role for Catwoman, such a rumor seems to imply that she will make an appearance in the movie - though whether as a side character or main character, who knows.

As for Talia, I wouldn't count her out yet, though I think it's wrong to assume there will be any love interest at all in a third movie. There might be, but I doubt Nolan considers it requisite (Rachel was hardly a traditional love interest in teh first two movies), especially if he can appease the studio's desire for sex appeal by having a female villain or two.

17. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Oswald "The Penguin" Cobblepot could be short and squat with an umbrella without looking inappropriately campy. Nolan's Two-Face, despite being more grounded than previous versions, still had the half dark/half light suit and a face that looked exactly like his comic book counterpart.

18. Too Much Fun

Too Much Fun Commodore Commodore

He heavily toned down the gimmicky stuff with The Joker, though. No laughing gas, acid squirting flowers, and lethal joy buzzers, for example. I think Firefly is by definition too gimmicky and heavily-costumed for Nolan to tone down without radically changing the character. The guy wears a goofy helmet/mask, shoots fire, and flies around, doesn't he?

Regading this speculation about a mob representative to pick up where Falcone and Maroni left off, I would LOVE to see Rupert Thorne. Any nods to "Batman: The Animated Series" are always welcome. I know the character appeared in the comics before that show, but given what a big role he played in the series and how excellently played and written he was there, I'll always associate him with it. I wouldn't mind if they threw in Harvey Bullock too. :adore:

19. Admiral_Young

Actually I think the "Prey" rumor primarily has to do with the heavy involvement of Hugo Strange since it has been rumored he will be who Tom Hardy is allegedly playing. The fact that it contains Selena is probably a bonus. I think that a reworked version of this stories core fits perfectly within the Nolan Batman verse.

20. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, using umbrellas as a weapon is, you know, a real thing. I could definitely see one of these uses for a homocide in a Nolan film.

But when it comes down to it the Penguin is a guy who dresses in a dapper fashion, and is fat and wealthy. He doesn't need to be less realistic then Brother Mouzone of The Wire. Of the more iconic Batman villains he's one of the easier ones to stick into a 'realistic' story - far more so then the Joker, and mountains more so then the Ra's character.