Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 6 2010, 05:35 AM   #496
MilleniumLance
Captain

Re: AMC's The Walking Dead Season 1 Discussion & Spoilers

dang it!!!!!!!! they did leave it with a cliffhanger wtf did jenner say!
Old December 6 2010, 05:49 AM   #497
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

I'll bet a box of donuts he told Rick that they're all infected and they'll zombify when they die, bitten or not. Remember? When they asked about the blood tests Jenner didn't say they were okay. He said, "No surprises." Either that, or that he watched his buddy try to rape his wife on the security cam.

The virus was probably dumped in the water supply or something. That's how it spread and the first walkers appeared. There had to be a first zombie who wasn't bitten. It makes sense.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2010, 05:56 AM   #498
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Dorian Thompson wrote: View Post
I'll bet a box of donuts he told Rick that they're all infected and they'll zombify when they die, bitten or not.
I thought that was supposed to happen to anyone who dies (regardless of cause). In the Romero films, ALL death leads to zombification, even if it's something entirely natural like a heart attack. The only exception is immediate brain death, like being shot in the head. Is that not also the case in this series?
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2010, 05:59 AM   #499
SG-17
Commodore

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
I'll bet a box of donuts he told Rick that they're all infected and they'll zombify when they die, bitten or not.
I thought that was supposed to happen to anyone who dies (regardless of cause). In the Romero films, ALL death leads to zombification, even if it's something entirely natural like a heart attack. The only exception is immediate brain death, like being shot in the head. Is that not also the case in this series?
It was the case in the comics, so it probably will be in the series.

SG-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2010, 06:00 AM   #500
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

I was under the impression that all who die will zombify ....hee.....isn't a known fact in this universe. Maybe I'm wrong. It does make sense, though. Patient zero zombie had to have been infected by something other than a bite. A virus dumped into the water supply of every major city would sure do the trick.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2010, 06:03 AM   #501
SG-17
Commodore

I was under the impression that all who die will zombify ....hee.....isn't a known fact in this universe. Maybe I'm wrong. It does make sense, though. Patient zero zombie had to have been infected by something other than a bite. A virus dumped into the water supply of every major city would sure do the trick.
Or a persist airborne virus.

SG-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2010, 06:45 AM   #502
Zachary Smith
Vice Admiral

SG-17 wrote: View Post
Or a persist airborne virus.

I insist there is NO virus!!!

My favorite TV show is "Cool Hand Luke Skywalker--Texas Ranger". The best episode is the one where he fights Samantha's wacky Sith Lord Uncle, Darth Arthur . . ."
Zachary Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2010, 08:12 AM   #503
Peter the Younger
Commodore

It's almost a necessity to make the zombie apocalypse work as advertised, I think. Biting alone is a pretty poor way for a microbe to spread, globally speaking. But if it has a dormant state, where it can spread through a population without them knowing it, the virus/parasite could spread broadly before anybody knows a thing. If it was a planned attack, it could be coordinated so that hospitals all over the country would be compromised at the same time, making it virtually impossible for folks like the CDC to coordinate a medical response. Nasty thought.

Peter the Younger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2010, 08:25 AM   #504
Meredith
Vice Admiral

Peter the Younger wrote: View Post
It's almost a necessity to make the zombie apocalypse work as advertised, I think. Biting alone is a pretty poor way for a microbe to spread, globally speaking. But if it has a dormant state, where it can spread through a population without them knowing it, the virus/parasite could spread broadly before anybody knows a thing. If it was a planned attack, it could be coordinated so that hospitals all over the country would be compromised at the same time, making it virtually impossible for folks like the CDC to coordinate a medical response. Nasty thought.

Gotta be an alien virus from space. Imagine using a weaponless virus that is 100% lethal and uses the already dead victims as disease vectors, leading to minimal damage to the infrastructure. If I were an alien race, that is how I would take over a habitable planet. Plus you make if blood bourne so it makes the cleanup a lot easier later especially if it mutates.
Old December 6 2010, 08:28 AM   #505
Meredith
Vice Admiral

Peter the Younger wrote: View Post

What if it was a two stage virus, one part is airborne and spreads quickly but has no symptoms, the second part is blood borne and latches into the first part to kill quickly. I will bet the first part is the mimi-virus:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mimivirus

This virus is HUGE for a virus, contains DNA not RNA and is just plain freaky, LOL.
Old December 6 2010, 08:47 AM   #506
Zachary Smith
Vice Admiral

no! No! NO!! NO Viruses!!!!

OOoooooOOoo! Be patient! I have it ALL figured out!

Pathogens do not, can not and will NEVER effect dead tissue. Pure and simple.

There is an alternate mechanism by which the Undead are reanimated which circumvents and is independent of biological pathways. It explains everything from the fact that the Walking Dead reanimate in the first place and includes explanations for why they crave human flesh, acquire a decayed appearance so rapidly and even identifies why some zombies seem to function at different levels of intelligence, a few even seeming to maintain a slight concept of "self" and perhaps vague memories. I've even worked out why the bite kills--WITHOUT the fall-back of a "virus".

The Rise of the Walking Dead was a WORLD-WIDE event that manifested simultaneously across the planet. No pathogen can do that. The situation requires the presence of an element already in the environment which is then activated by another factor. Once the Dead rise, then, yes, those people dying from bites would form a spread constellation similar to that of a highly virulent contagion, but that is misleading. There was a direct Cause/Effect incident that created the situation and it operates on a non-biological principle. At least, it is not bio-CHEMICALLY based.

Be patient. I'm putting it all together in my short book.

My favorite TV show is "Cool Hand Luke Skywalker--Texas Ranger". The best episode is the one where he fights Samantha's wacky Sith Lord Uncle, Darth Arthur . . ."
Zachary Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2010, 10:02 AM   #507
Aragorn
Admiral

MilleniumLance wrote: View Post
wtf did jenner say!
I don't know if anyone here will get it, but he told him... "Yahoo."
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2010, 10:08 AM   #508
Ryan
Commodore

Zachary Smith wrote: View Post
no! No! NO!! NO Viruses!!!!

OOoooooOOoo! Be patient! I have it ALL figured out!

Pathogens do not, can not and will NEVER effect dead tissue. Pure and simple.
Since it's not real it doesn't even matter. The comic has never explained it and the CDC wasn't even able to identify the pathogen before it fell apart on the show.

I always felt nanites were the only half-way plausible explanation for the zombie apocalypse but at the end of the day it's not exactly a genre that cries for veracity.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2010, 10:21 AM   #509
Ryan
Commodore

PsychoPere wrote: View Post
Producer Gale Anne Hurd says that the writing staff was not fired. In addition, she expects the series to return in October 2011 and that Darabont & Kirkman will start mapping out the second season early next year.
I wonder what they're going to do about Carl. With such a long hiatus they'll have the same problem as Walt in Lost. I suppose they could jump the series forward several months that would really screw up the pacing (and kill one of the subplots in the comic, though that one looks like it's already dead).
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2010, 12:37 PM   #510
Sentinel
Ensign

Zachary Smith wrote: View Post
Be patient. I'm putting it all together in my short book.
Which I personally am getting tired of seeing you blather about every week.
Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote