Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Wheaton Buys Wesley Crusher Hoodie

People’s Choice Award Nominations

Quinto: Not Internally Homophobic

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 4 2010, 10:40 AM   #1
Stone_Cold_Sisko
Vice Admiral

"The Dark Knight Rises" storyline revealed?

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/47661

In a somewhat cryptic post, AICN is saying that a source is telling them the story for The Dark Knight Rises involves Tom Hardy playing Dr. Hugo Strange, and that the plot will be heavily influenced by a specific Batman story... PREY, by Doug Moench.

I've never read that particular story. The AICN story gives some details on that particular story and it certainly sounds very Nolan-ish.
Stone_Cold_Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2010, 11:38 AM   #2
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher
Re: "The Dark Knight Rises" storyline revealed?

I've always wanted to use Hugo Strange in a Batman story.

I am both elated and crushed by this, if true.
Old December 4 2010, 11:48 AM   #3
Stone_Cold_Sisko
Vice Admiral

The more I read about this "Prey" storyline the more I believe this rumor. The plot and tone fits like a glove.
Stone_Cold_Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2010, 11:57 AM   #4
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

It does. It would make a lot of sense for this story to take place after the events of The Dark Knight and Hugo Strange as a villain has a wealth of untapped potential. He's a villain that strives on psychological torment and it would absolutely fit Nolan's sensibilities and the type of Batman movies he enjoys to make.
Old December 4 2010, 12:05 PM   #5
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Yeah this story was brought up on another website a couple weeks ago. I agree the story fits like a glove for the type of world that Nolan has created. Hugo Strange has always been one of my favorite rogues and I thought how "The Batman" used him was excellent. The plot of "Batman:Prey" makes me excited for "The Dark Knight Rises". The graphic novel is so old though that my library has no copies of it and it doesn't even have a wikiarticle lol.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2010, 01:33 PM   #6
byron lomax
Commander

A couple of months back, I speculated which Batman stories might be used as an ideal basis for the next Nolan movie - and Prey was the first story I thought of. Like everyone says, it fits like a glove.

Still, I don't imagine Hugo Strange as the primary (or at least only) antagonist, so certain elements would definitely be lifted from the story, but probably with additions and modifications.

It's an excellent story, by the way; from the early days of the Legends of the Dark Knight title, when it was consistantly good. Pity it's out of print.
byron lomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2010, 01:39 PM   #7
Dream
Admiral

Who the hell is Dr. Hugo Strange?
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2010, 01:42 PM   #8
byron lomax
Commander

Dr Hugo Strange is one of Batman's very first villains, who has been portrayed as either a crazy psychologist, crazy geneticist, or both. Turns up in the 70s storyline Strange Apparitions by Engelhart and Rogers, the aforementioned Prey, and, more recently, in Matt Wagner's Batman and the Monster Men - a remake of Hugo's original story.
Old December 4 2010, 01:44 PM   #9
watermelony2k
Vice Admiral

byron lomax wrote: View Post
Still, I don't imagine Hugo Strange as the primary (or at least only) antagonist
Tahlia? Catwoman?
watermelony2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2010, 01:45 PM   #10
Mr Light
Admiral

That doesn't sound like a very good movie compared to the first two... I haven't read the story just how AICN described it.

Mr Light is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2010, 01:47 PM   #11
Voyager_freak
Cadet

it sounds awesome! cant wait to see it
Voyager_freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2010, 02:02 PM   #12
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

I like it because I can see the Nolans and Goyer making it fit as has been suggested like a glove especially after the events of "The Dark Knight". I highly suggest watching the first season of "The Batman" since he was a primary villain in the show. I realize to some casual Batman fans that he might not seem like a particularly interesting villain or even a main villain but the way Nolan writes and his fascination with these types of "cerebral" unconventional characters makes me elated that he is being used or is being reported that he is the villain. I think that if Selena appears she will be a secondary character but featured prominently and might even be combined as the romantic interest.

Wikipedia is your friend.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugo_Strange

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2010, 03:26 PM   #13
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

This sounds interesting and plausible. Apart from the fact that it was reported on AICN.
Old December 4 2010, 03:49 PM   #14
byron lomax
Commander

watermelony2k wrote: View Post
byron lomax wrote: View Post
Still, I don't imagine Hugo Strange as the primary (or at least only) antagonist
Tahlia? Catwoman?
Personally, I loathe Talia and hope she isn't the primary villain. Catwoman may be good for some minor screentime (like in Miller's Year One or, indeed, Prey). I'm beginning to wish more and more that the Riddler hadn't been completely ruled out....
Old December 4 2010, 04:17 PM   #15
Too Much Fun
Commodore

If you want to know about Hugo Strange, you should watch the very fun "Batman: The Animated Series" episode "The Strange Secret of Bruce Wayne". The character is goofy and played for laughs in the episode as he arrogantly presumes that he's smarter than Batman and ultimately gets completely tricked. It's very entertaining and even though Hugo is a bit ridiculous in it, based on the episode I can see how the character could be effective if played straight.

Whenever I hear about Hugo Strange, I always think of him as a guy obsessed with exposing Batman's secret identity. The only other experience I have with this character is a Batman comic audio tape I listened to as a kid, and in that as well, that same obsession was his defining personality trait. I don't know how close that is to his depiction in the comics, though.
Too Much Fun is offline   Reply With Quote