RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,113
Posts: 5,400,586
Members: 24,744
Currently online: 404
Newest member: Ohwowmelody

TrekToday headlines

Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Trek Big Bang Figures
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old November 29 2010, 08:07 PM   #1
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral
 
PsychoPere's Avatar
 
Xbox TV

From Reuters comes word that Microsoft (perhaps unsurprisingly?) is looking into the possibility of using the Xbox 360 as a cable television box.
The maker of the Windows operating system has proposed a range of possibilities in these early talks including creating a "virtual cable operator" delivered over the Internet for which users pay a monthly fee. [...] Microsoft is also exploring the possibility of creating content silos and selling more individual channels directly such as an HBO or Showtime.
If this led to an "a la carte" situation wherein I could purchase access only to the channels that most interest me, I'd be very interested in trying this out, should it come to fruition. This proposal sounds far more interesting to me than a Google TV or Apple TV, presuming, of course, that any deals Microsoft inks are more along the lines of what this sounds like (a cable tv system all its own), rather than satellite tv + Google/Apple TV.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2010, 02:35 AM   #2
darthraidr
Commodore
 
Location: irvine, ca, usa
Re: Xbox TV

this would be awesome if it happened. as it stands now, i am ready to cancel my cable subscription. the only thing my wife and i watch on tv is the daily show, the walking dead and no ordinary family. daily show we can watch online... probably the same with the other two. but i'd love to be able to pay only for HBO and get it.... as it stands now, i pay for netflix and wait for HBO shows to show up there.
darthraidr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2010, 02:40 AM   #3
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral
 
PsychoPere's Avatar
 
Re: Xbox TV

You can definitely watch No Ordinary Family through Hulu or ABC.com, but AMC doesn't put The Walking Dead online for free streaming (they tend to put just season premieres online). For me, HBO would also be a huge draw if it were a possibility. There really are generally only a handful of cable channels I watch (HBO, Syfy, FX, Showtime, Cartoon Network), so such a system as Microsoft seems interested in bringing to the Xbox would be fantastic as far as I'm concerned.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2010, 03:04 AM   #4
bullethead
Fleet Captain
 
bullethead's Avatar
 
Re: Xbox TV

I'd definitely go with this if they could get the Science Channel, Military, Military History, History International, NatGeo, Boomerang, and BBC America in addition to regular cable channels. You can only get those through the overpriced premium packages, which give you tons of crap along with the good stuff.
__________________
A business man and engineer discuss how to launch a communications satellite in the 1960s:
Biz Dev Guy: Your communications satellite has to be the size, shape, and weight of a hydrogen bomb.
bullethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2010, 06:46 PM   #5
PKerr
Rear Admiral
 
PKerr's Avatar
 
Location: Tampa Fl
Re: Xbox TV

I'm kinda mixed about this.
On one hand I posted another thread and asked about Hulu plus for the PS3/future Xbox
But on the other hand M$ is kinda Pissing me off that they seem to be trying to turn my gaming system into everything BUT a gaming system.

They need to concentrate on the roots of the 360 which is gaming, they really seem like they have been slipping on that the last few years.
PKerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2010, 07:03 PM   #6
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral
 
PsychoPere's Avatar
 
Re: Xbox TV

Microsoft has consistently stated from the first announcement about the Xbox 360 that they want it to be more than just a gaming console, that they envisioned it as becoming a nexus of home entertainment. To be "piss[ed] off" that they have been attempting to follow through on one of their core stated goals does not make sense, as we all knew what Microsoft wanted with this console from the very beginning.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2010, 07:41 PM   #7
PKerr
Rear Admiral
 
PKerr's Avatar
 
Location: Tampa Fl
Re: Xbox TV

PsychoPere wrote: View Post
Microsoft has consistently stated from the first announcement about the Xbox 360 that they want it to be more than just a gaming console, that they envisioned it as becoming a nexus of home entertainment. To be "piss[ed] off" that they have been attempting to follow through on one of their core stated goals does not make sense, as we all knew what Microsoft wanted with this console from the very beginning.
I think you are thinking of the PS3 because M$ actually slammed Sony in the beginning for those statements.

Now M$ (Sony too) just as with the Wii and Kinect is trying to play catch-up.

And they will eventually cave with the Nextbox 360 with some sort of Blu-ray player.

Pissed off might be the wrong choice in words but they need to focus more on gaming.

they took their eye off the ball to play catch-up IMO

Last edited by PKerr; November 30 2010 at 08:06 PM.
PKerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2010, 07:43 PM   #8
darthraidr
Commodore
 
Location: irvine, ca, usa
Re: Xbox TV

i can understand the frustration of making the system more than gaming, if the gaming side suffered... but i dont see any indication of the gaming side of the xbox getting the short end of the stick.
darthraidr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2010, 07:52 PM   #9
PKerr
Rear Admiral
 
PKerr's Avatar
 
Location: Tampa Fl
Re: Xbox TV

darthraidr wrote: View Post
i can understand the frustration of making the system more than gaming, if the gaming side suffered... but i dont see any indication of the gaming side of the xbox getting the short end of the stick.
really?
please list the latest exclusives or new I.p.'s

Halo part 73 check
Alan Wake? took forever to come out and then sucked
Fable 3? semi-sucked
Gears of War? absolutely love the I.p. but is being delayed until holiday next year because M$ doesn't really have anything in the works.

The PS3 exclusives on the other hand are kicking M$'s @ss

Look from 2009 to 2011 on both of these lists

XBOX 360

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_36...osoft_Xbox_360

PS3

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_36..._PlayStation_3

Last edited by PKerr; November 30 2010 at 08:07 PM.
PKerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2010, 08:31 PM   #10
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral
 
PsychoPere's Avatar
 
Re: Xbox TV

PKerr wrote: View Post
I think you are thinking of the PS3 because M$ actually slammed Sony in the beginning for those statements.
I barely know anything about the PS3; I've never given it more than cursory attention at best. As far back as I can recall, Microsoft has talked about expanding the Xbox 360 from gaming as the core experience to a more integral part of a home entertainment setup. After all, Microsoft has consistently referred to the Xbox 360 as a "video game and entertainment system," while having referred to the original Xbox simply as "a video game system." A lot of the progress towards Microsoft's goal has been occurring slowly, but that's to be expected with all the different deals that would need to be in place for what Microsoft has maintained for years that it intends. The first major push towards becoming a digital media hub in living rooms was arguably 2007, but it was a goal Microsoft had made clear prior to that point.

darthraidr wrote: View Post
[...] i dont see any indication of the gaming side of the xbox getting the short end of the stick.
I agree. I'm more than satisfied with my Xbox 360, and I'd be even more happy if Microsoft's hopes with this cable television concept comes to fruition
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2010, 08:57 PM   #11
PKerr
Rear Admiral
 
PKerr's Avatar
 
Location: Tampa Fl
Re: Xbox TV

PsychoPere wrote: View Post
PKerr wrote: View Post
I think you are thinking of the PS3 because M$ actually slammed Sony in the beginning for those statements.
I barely know anything about the PS3; I've never given it more than cursory attention at best. As far back as I can recall, Microsoft has talked about expanding the Xbox 360 from gaming as the core experience to a more integral part of a home entertainment setup. After all, Microsoft has consistently referred to the Xbox 360 as a "video game and entertainment system," while having referred to the original Xbox simply as "a video game system." A lot of the progress towards Microsoft's goal has been occurring slowly, but that's to be expected with all the different deals that would need to be in place for what Microsoft has maintained for years that it intends. The first major push towards becoming a digital media hub in living rooms was arguably 2007, but it was a goal Microsoft had made clear prior to that point.

darthraidr wrote: View Post
[...] i dont see any indication of the gaming side of the xbox getting the short end of the stick.
I agree. I'm more than satisfied with my Xbox 360, and I'd be even more happy if Microsoft's hopes with this cable television concept comes to fruition
Well we all have our own opinions, I too am pleased with my Xbox but as stated before I don't like the direction it's going.

I loved how they announced ESPN would be free (which even at free I'll never use) and then bumped up XBL $10.00

I don't want a "Social network" either, I have no use for Facebook, Twitter or whatever the newest kid on the block is.

I already have a PC, DVD player and stereo, I bought my Xbox for gaming, IMO the gaming portion is suffering, the list I provided is pretty much proof in the pudding.
PKerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2010, 09:34 PM   #12
darthraidr
Commodore
 
Location: irvine, ca, usa
Re: Xbox TV

so MS just launched this new controller free camera device and along with it a few new IPs... but i guess that isnt big enough for you.

you probably want "New IPs for teh Hardcore gamerz" oh no you dont because the hardcore gamers are more than happy buying CoD ZZ or Halo XX or Madden VV...

you want the "new IP for the jaded fanboys who think anything with a sequel has sold out." so head on over to the indie dev channel on the 360 and check out those games... or is that too radical of an approach to getting games... i mean MS is selling you games online! they have changed their game system into a game store!! OMG WTF!!!11!! GET BACK TO TEH GAMEZ M$!!
darthraidr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2010, 09:44 PM   #13
PKerr
Rear Admiral
 
PKerr's Avatar
 
Location: Tampa Fl
Re: Xbox TV

darthraidr wrote: View Post
so MS just launched this new controller free camera device and along with it a few new IPs... but i guess that isnt big enough for you.

you probably want "New IPs for teh Hardcore gamerz" oh no you dont because the hardcore gamers are more than happy buying CoD ZZ or Halo XX or Madden VV...

you want the "new IP for the jaded fanboys who think anything with a sequel has sold out." so head on over to the indie dev channel on the 360 and check out those games... or is that too radical of an approach to getting games... i mean MS is selling you games online! they have changed their game system into a game store!! OMG WTF!!!11!! GET BACK TO TEH GAMEZ M$!!
Ok first of all I'm sorry I somehow offended you for you to have to resort to name calling and silly rant.

Second I'm not 4 years old so I have zero interest in Kinect and as far as being it being "New" whatever, it's more like Wii rejects.

Lastly I have no problem with sequels and I'm talking about more FIRST party games.
PKerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2010, 10:15 PM   #14
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral
 
PsychoPere's Avatar
 
Re: Xbox TV

There really is no need to descend into mocking, darthraidr. I think we're all capable of disagreeing with one another and having a reasonable conversation at the same time.

Having thought about it a little more, I do see where PKerr is coming from with his concern over X360 exclusives. I can't speak to the state of PS3 exclusives (I skimmed the list linked to, but a list of quantity doesn't necessarily reflect quality for any system), but he does have a point that Microsoft seems to have already used up its biggest franchise guns.

Let's look a little more at that, shall we?

  • Halo: Reach - the last installment from Bungie, which means that 343 Industries's first entry is going to be met with extreme scrutiny.
  • Fable 3 - probably won't be the last Fable title, though it may be the last "centerpiece." I'm expecting the next Fable title will likely be a Kinect-oriented game. Another entry in the franchise might also take a backseat to completing Milo and Kate.
  • Alan Wake - was first announced in 2005 and was released this year. I think it's a great game, though I have yet to finish it. I haven't looked up articles about its sales to see if it's likely to receive a sequel.
  • Gears of War 3 - as PKerr pointed out, it was delayed until next year because all of the big titles Microsoft had in the pipeline were released this year and they didn't have anything top tier exclusive scheduled for next year. I'm not a fan of GOW personally, so I could be wrong, but I believe this one is set to be the final installment.
  • Crackdown - I don't get the appeal of these games myself, but with a Bungie-less future for Halo and the possible end of both GOW and Fable, this seems to be the only big franchise exclusive Microsoft has left.
  • Rare - Rare has been "sidelined" to work specifically on Kinect games, which could either result in more "casual" games or possibly even the first "core" Kinect game. I'm expecting it to be the latter, however. I'm sad that the company that gave us Perfect Dark is now a Kinect factory. Of course, maybe that is a good thing, since Rare's Microsoft era has been something of a disappointment.
  • Kinect - the only game I've seen that personally interests me is Children of Eden. THQ claims to be preparing to announce "one core Kinect game soon." Other companies are likely going to wait to see holiday sales figures of Kinect units before they decide whether or not to proceed with Kinect game development.
So, yes, I do see where PKerr is coming from and why he might be simultaneously concerned and disappointed in the future of the Xbox 360. The thing is, though, that Microsoft wants to expand beyond just "core" gamers, and really they have to in order to keep the Xbox brand at the top moving forward, hence ideas like this cable television proposal. I highly doubt that Microsoft is going to forget about gaming (they want this console cycle to last until at least 2015, after all); they have just hit an unfortunate period of time in which all of the "usual suspects" in terms of "big guns" have already hit the shelves or are coming to an end soon. To my way of thinking, that means Microsoft has even more reason to remember that gaming is just as important to the future of the Xbox 360 as all of the other media possibilities they want to expand into.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2010, 10:39 PM   #15
PKerr
Rear Admiral
 
PKerr's Avatar
 
Location: Tampa Fl
Re: Xbox TV

/\ /\ /\

Well said.

Just to be clear, I FULLY understand what M$ is trying to do, they are in business to make money and what better way to make Money then expanding your user base.

I'm just saying dance with the girl you brought to the party and not every other girl in the place.
PKerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
microsoft, xbox, xbox 360

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:16 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.