Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 29 2010, 07:08 PM   #406
MilleniumLance
Captain

Re: AMC's The Walking Dead Season 1 Discussion & Spoilers

the tv series kinda feels like filling in some of the blanks, cause in the comics days and weeks can go by between issues, oh and the scene with Amy was straight out of the comic too..but moved much more slowly
Old November 29 2010, 07:12 PM   #407
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

MilleniumLance wrote: View Post
ok im up to issue 56 now to answer your questions
While the show isn't charting the exact same course as the comics, I would highly suggest using spoiler code when answering questions about the comics because we don't yet know what events will be adapted.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2010, 08:25 PM   #408
Nicholna
Cadet

Is this all a ploy to get us all buying comics again. I called my local comic store (just discovered existed in my neighborhood) and he quoted me a price of 2.99 per issue. Called again today and the price went up to 3.99 per issue because of the demand. I mean seriously? He quoted me 10.99 for a book or something. I haven't read a comic book in about 15 years.....but I am going to now. I just want to compare what we see vs. what is in the book.

BUT in defense of all the critics, during the initial interview Robert DID SAY that they will always stay true to the comics.....they will stray away and take different paths, but everything in the comics will happen.
even tho they make take a round about way of getting there.
Old November 29 2010, 08:33 PM   #409
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

^ If you're interested in getting collections, rather than single issues, I outlined the available options in this post, and recommended a website where they could be purchased for at least 38% off MSRP.
Old November 29 2010, 09:21 PM   #410
Mike Farley
Commodore

Also, starting in January, Image will begin re-releasing the series in single issues as THE WALKING DEAD WEEKLY.
Mike Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2010, 11:26 PM   #411
SG-17
Commodore

Meredith wrote: View Post
SG-17 wrote: View Post
Huh, Wildfire is the name of the secret biological facility where the alien lifeform was being studied in The Andromeda Strain.

The Zombie Virus is an extraterrestrial virus intended to wipe out mankind, it was "sent" to earth in a mock crash that occurred in Roswell 1947. Basically the Zombie virus is written to earth human physiology and has genetic code to re-write the brain to turn the infected into disease vectors. It is written to be only blood borne so when the aliens arrive to take over in a decade they don't have to worry about an air borne virus and it will have burned itself out.

The virus reprograms the body to use itself as energy and will keep doing so until it is consumed. Eating living flesh is just a directive programmed into the brain by the virus to help it's spread as a vector, but notice they only eat living or freshly killed flesh that is to prevent your disease vectors from wiping each other out.
Seriously though, what if the virus is alien in origin? Not malicious intelligent alien kind of stuff, but brought in on a meteorite or with a returning shuttle or something.
I guess it wouldn't really make a difference, just might be harder to cure.

SG-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2010, 12:05 AM   #412
Zachary Smith
Vice Admiral

Meredith wrote: View Post
Huh, Wildfire is the name of the secret biological facility where the alien lifeform was being studied in The Andromeda Strain.

The Zombie Virus is an extraterrestrial virus intended to wipe out mankind, it was "sent" to earth in a mock crash that occurred in Roswell 1947. Basically the Zombie virus is written to earth human physiology and has genetic code to re-write the brain to turn the infected into disease vectors. It is written to be only blood borne so when the aliens arrive to take over in a decade they don't have to worry about an air borne virus and it will have burned itself out.

The virus reprograms the body to use itself as energy and will keep doing so until it is consumed. Eating living flesh is just a directive programmed into the brain by the virus to help it's spread as a vector, but notice they only eat living or freshly killed flesh that is to prevent your disease vectors from wiping each other out.
Seriously though, what if the virus is alien in origin? Not malicious intelligent alien kind of stuff, but brought in on a meteorite or with a returning shuttle or something.
I guess it wouldn't really make a difference, just might be harder to cure.

There is no "virus". At least there shouldn't be. Viruses, no matter HOW powerful, can NOT effect dead tissue.

I've got a better explanation than a "virus" (which is a cop-out IMHO).

My favorite TV show is "Cool Hand Luke Skywalker--Texas Ranger". The best episode is the one where he fights Samantha's wacky Sith Lord Uncle, Darth Arthur . . ."
Zachary Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2010, 12:34 AM   #413
SG-17
Commodore

Well I was using virus as a general term. I guess a parasite would be more plausible an option, no?

SG-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2010, 01:02 AM   #414
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

^^ That's certainly better. It would have to have some sort of group intelligence, though; and there would still need to be an explanation of why "ya gotta shoot 'em in the head."

This was another great episode, with some very touching moments. The woman waiting for her sister to rise from the dead just so she'd have a moment to apologize before she killed her. The poor guy who was bitten desperately saying "I'm okay" over and over. Glenn demanding that the dead be buried.

I don't understand why they would just leave the bitten guy to die, though. Why would he (or they) want him to be a Zombie? I somehow suspect he will turn up again later as a Walker.

And Shane was seriously considering taking out Rick for a few seconds there. And the old guy wasn't fooled a bit.

The CDC definitely had a bit of a Lost vibe. This should be interesting. It's a shame there's only one more episode left.
Old November 30 2010, 01:15 AM   #415
danellis
Lieutenant Commander

Tom wrote: View Post
Nitpicks:

- ...Also why do they assume Merle took the truck? Could be anyone, they are parked quite a bit off from the building Merle was In. Merle could have easily taken one of the hundreds of cars lying around also.
Do they even discuss it in the episode? I thought it was us assuming it was Merle, or did I miss something?

dJE
danellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2010, 01:27 AM   #416
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
I don't understand why they would just leave the bitten guy to die, though. Why would he (or they) want him to be a Zombie? I somehow suspect he will turn up again later as a Walker.
If they continued to take Jim with them, he could have presented a threat to those in Dale's RV. Since Jim had accepted his death, why not abide by his wishes and leave him? In the comics, he was in fact left just outside Atlanta, so that zombie-Jim could "return to his family," as he stated he wanted in "Wildfire."

Given the destruction of the tissue samples Jenner was working on, I'm expecting that Jim will return in next week's finale, "TS-19," approached by Rick to become Jenner's new test subject.

I'm particularly looking forward to seeing how this CDC angle plays out since it's entirely a creation of the tv series; I don't already know the end result of this part of the story!

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
And Shane was seriously considering taking out Rick for a few seconds there. And the old guy wasn't fooled a bit.
I'm rather surprised Dale didn't say anything to Rick later about that.

danellis wrote: View Post
Tom wrote: View Post
Nitpicks:
- ...Also why do they assume Merle took the truck? Could be anyone, they are parked quite a bit off from the building Merle was In. Merle could have easily taken one of the hundreds of cars lying around also.
Do they even discuss it in the episode? I thought it was us assuming it was Merle, or did I miss something?
Yes. When they notice the truck is missing, Glenn remarks "Who would take it?" and Rick responds "Merle." When they were first entering the city and planning their course of action, it seemed like Merle's building wasn't terribly far from where they entered, so they probably figured that Merle took that route heading away from the city. It does seem to be Glenn's "favorite" route in and out of Atlanta, after all.
Old November 30 2010, 01:28 AM   #417
watermelony2k
Vice Admiral

ratings for episode 5: it got 5.6 million viewers total, and adults 18-49 it scored 3.7 million viewers.

This is higher than the ratings for the premiere. It's impressive.

http://www.deadline.com/2010/11/walk...-another-high/

At this point, it's generating higher ratings than the majority of NBC's programming...

Last edited by watermelony2k; November 30 2010 at 01:39 AM.
watermelony2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2010, 01:50 AM   #418
Landed
Lieutenant

I know that this show really gets to me because every Sunday night, after watching it, I have nightmares about the zombie apocalypse.

Anybody else?
Landed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2010, 02:03 AM   #419
SPOCKED
Admiral

Landed wrote: View Post
I know that this show really gets to me because every Sunday night, after watching it, I have nightmares about the zombie apocalypse.

Anybody else?
I only watch it in the daytime. No way I could sleep an hour after "Guts"
SPOCKED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2010, 02:19 AM   #420
SicOne
Commodore

I would be remiss if I didn't take this opportunity, mods allowing, to shamelessly plug Comic Book Supermarket, where you can pick up Walking Dead and all of your favorite comics at 35% off every day, and they bag and board them for free...I don't know how much shipping costs, though.
SicOne is offline   Reply With Quote