Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old November 28 2010, 10:19 AM   #76
Snaploud
Admiral

Re: So I cancelled Netflix today.

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Snaploud wrote: View Post

I'm not seeing that option. Where can I find it?
???
Click New Releases. Scroll down until you see the menu that says "Released in the Last __________." You can choose from the drop down menu anywhere between 12 months and 1 week.
*checks Netflix*

Ah, I see there's an option for DVDs. I was hoping for such an option for instant streaming. Thanks for the help, though.
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2010, 10:49 AM   #77
Dale
Vice Admiral

I think Netflix is brilliant, and on the three at a time plan I find the difference between 16.99 and 19.99 to be negligible. Plus I can dial it back to two at a time if needs be. Plus I use the streaming like mad on my overnight shifts at work. I certainly get my money's worth... and you can pause the service when you're going to be away or something and not pay for a bit. Overall I much prefer it to taking my chances at some ratty Redbox or going to Blockbuster.
For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. - 2 Timothy 4:3
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2010, 02:15 PM   #78
Scout101
Admiral

James Bond wrote: View Post
I'm sorry, but this thread was created over $3??
Minimize it, but to be fair, that IS about a 15-20% price increase. And it's not like they even rolled out some new service or benefit to go along with it and try to justify it, they just bumped up the price. Stamps didn't go up, they're streaming more than they mail out (which should greatly reduce their costs).

Realistically, Blockbuster isn't doing so good right now, so they thought they could bump up the cost a little and not take too bad a hit, so they did...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2010, 02:54 PM   #79
Dale
Vice Admiral

In interviews with Netflix's founder, he has said all along that his business model was to provide streaming movies. The dvds through mail thing was a means to an end... creating brand identity and a market. Clearly, as the technology has finally caught up and the ways you can stream Netflix films straight to your television screen are many, this is meant to put a little pressure on consumers to pony up for some device or another to use Netflix solely as a streaming provider. Notice that the price for stream-only service is ridiculously low... and consider that they can make a lot more money with a lot less overhead if they can manage to phase out the dvd end of the business.
For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. - 2 Timothy 4:3
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2010, 03:38 PM   #80
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

PsychoPere wrote: View Post
If you're having issues with quality, I'd look to your ISP rather than Netflix.
Good point. It is mostly? partly? totally? my ISP (which is, at least, better than the previous one. )
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2010, 04:12 PM   #81
Whoa Nellie
Fleet Captain

Sakrysta wrote: View Post
In fact, if it's available for instant streaming, I will often watch it that way rather than bothering dragging out my DVD copy.
I'm so glad to know my husband and I aren't the only ones who do that. We LOVE the streaming option and use it all the time.

Warmest Wishes,
Whoa Nellie
Old November 28 2010, 04:19 PM   #82
RoJoHen
Awesome

???
Click New Releases. Scroll down until you see the menu that says "Released in the Last __________." You can choose from the drop down menu anywhere between 12 months and 1 week.
*checks Netflix*

Ah, I see there's an option for DVDs. I was hoping for such an option for instant streaming. Thanks for the help, though.
Well, if you go under the "New Arrivals" section of "Watch Instantly," you can at least sort the movies by year.
Old November 28 2010, 07:10 PM   #83
Kadratis
Fleet Captain

Stay away from the Blockblister!
Kadratis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2010, 07:55 PM   #84
LeadHead
Director of Comedy

Tora Ziyal wrote: View Post
PsychoPere wrote: View Post
If you're having issues with quality, I'd look to your ISP rather than Netflix.
Good point. It is mostly? partly? totally? my ISP (which is, at least, better than the previous one. )
The most common cause of a streaming problem is internet speed. 1.5 mbps is the absolute minimum you want to have, but it won't be stable. 3-4 mbps will get you a more stable feed.

Besides speed, it can be an issue with the stability of the signal, most connections will fluctuate around 1-2 mb, which will be fine, but if they're more substantial than that, it can be bad, cause it to hit an error or rebuffer.

That all might not be completely on your ISP, if you're on a wireless network, that can be part of it too. If at all possible I wire my system into the router directly. A direct wired connection is more stable and has less fluctuations.

If you're having a continuing problem, it's worthwhile to do speed tests, just google speed tests. They're usually inflated, but if you do several over a half hour, they'll tell you if you're having a lot of internet fluctuations.

Check out the Caption contests in the TOS, TNG and Movies I-X forums!
LeadHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2010, 08:19 PM   #85
RoJoHen
Awesome

The last place I lived I couldn't stream videos because it turned out the AT&T guy hooked my DSL into the building's intercom system (and by intercom system, I mean the doorbell) rather than the phone line.
Old November 28 2010, 09:48 PM   #86
Snaploud
Admiral

*checks Netflix*

Well, if you go under the "New Arrivals" section of "Watch Instantly," you can at least sort the movies by year.
That sorts the movies by year released in theatres. I'm looking for something that will sort the movies/tv by date they were made available on netflix streaming. I don't want to look through 47 pages of the same stuff everytime I'm checking the "new releases."
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote