RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,347
Posts: 5,354,221
Members: 24,620
Currently online: 528
Newest member: StarTrekSteve

TrekToday headlines

Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

True Trek History To Be Penned
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old November 28 2010, 03:05 AM   #46
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral
 
Trekker4747's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: The Dark Knight

Since it's implied the mob heavily controlled Gotham and by the final act The Joker pretty much controlled the mob it's "possible" that they had enough control to pull of everything that would've needed to be done for the final act to work. Which, yeah, was silly. But I'll take it over the far sillier (and more comic-booky) ending of the first movie. (Which involved a combination of a powerful hallucinogenic and a magical "microwave device" that could super-heat the water in nearby pipes, designed to destroy the central pumping station of Gotham's water supply yet at the same time this microwave device didn't cause the people in the city (made 70-80% out of water) to boil and explode.)
__________________
Just because it's futuristic doesn't mean it's practical.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2010, 03:20 AM   #47
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral
 
Admiral_Young's Avatar
 
Location: Gallifrey
View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: The Dark Knight

Yep I love the Joker's interruption of the mob boss meeting. He is mock laughing, it's pretty clear when he trails off suddenly. You can tell he's mock laughing because it doesn't match his true sadistic laughter he uses later in the film.
__________________
Admiral Young
Chief of Operations

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2010, 06:23 PM   #48
Kegg
Rear Admiral
 
Kegg's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland.
Re: The Dark Knight

I buy the ferry scene mostly because you can either take the Joker at his word or die for sure.

I mean does anyone really doubt a psycho killer might kill you anyway? Maybe if you play his game you survive, maybe not, but if you ignore his rules you'll die for sure.

The logical problem is more the logistics of the ferry bombing and the hosptial bombing and so on. Maybe that makes sense, maybe not, I don't greatly care.

Harvey wrote: View Post
Thus the qualifier in the parenthetical. Otherwise we'd have to start talking about AMERICAN SPLENDOR, which I think is terrific, amongst a number of other comic book movies outside the superhero genre.
True, but 'twas mainly rather then exclusively.

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
You'd think the whole "Batman killed cops" thing would've struck people as odd and out of character for the vigilante who worked to "help" the police for a year.
Maybe it did. I mean, public reaction to the end of The Dark Knight is doubtless going to play some sort of element in The Dark Knight Rises. We may get people challenging the story.

But whether or not the public buy the story is irrelevant. It's the official narrative and it's what has formally unleashed the hounds on the Bat.
__________________
'Spock is always right, even when he's wrong. It's the tone of voice, the supernatural reasonability; this is not a man like us; this is a god.'
- Philip K. Dick
Kegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2010, 07:48 PM   #49
Goliath
Vice Admiral
 
Goliath's Avatar
 
Location: The Fifth Dimension
Re: The Dark Knight

Kegg wrote: View Post
I buy the ferry scene mostly because you can either take the Joker at his word or die for sure.

I mean does anyone really doubt a psycho killer might kill you anyway? Maybe if you play his game you survive, maybe not, but if you ignore his rules you'll die for sure.
Plus, it seems to me that, to a certain extent, the Joker is a man of his word. At the very least, the evidence is ambiguous.

Throughout the whole movie, we see him taking sadistic pleasure in pitting people against each other, tempting them into betraying and killing each other, and forcing them to choose who lives and who dies. He delights in degradation.

Sometimes he lets people live after he's degraded them, and sometimes he doesn't. He kills all his accomplices in the bank robbery--but it's implied that the gangster who survives the "tryouts" with the splintered pool cue will, in fact, be allowed to join the Joker's gang. And he does tell Batman and the police where Dent and Dawes are being held--he just doesn't give them enough time to save both of them.

I could see him allowing one shipful of people to live, after they blow up the other shipful. Then again, I could also see him killing all of them. It would all depend on whether or not he felt the survivors had sufficiently degraded themselves by their own actions.

That's a slim chance, but enough of a chance for some people to grasp at. As you say, any chance is better than none.
__________________
An illusion--with intelligence! A malignant vision, with a will of pure evil!
Goliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2010, 08:11 PM   #50
Shazam!
Rear Admiral
 
Shazam!'s Avatar
 
Re: The Dark Knight

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
But I'll take it over the far sillier (and more comic-booky) ending of the first movie
Yeah, we can't have comic booky endings in comic book movies...
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2010, 11:47 PM   #51
Landed
Lieutenant
 
Re: The Dark Knight

I took my father to see it in the theater after having seen it myself on opening day. My father, who has to make an effort to speak above a whisper, exclaimed "Wow! What a movie!!!" when the lights came on.
Landed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2010, 02:03 AM   #52
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral
 
Admiral_Young's Avatar
 
Location: Gallifrey
View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: The Dark Knight

I was told that when my friends went to see it both times in the theater each time the audience gave it a standing ovation. I will admit that like "Batman Begins" there are things in "The Dark Knight" that bug me but not to the extent where I think these two aren't brilliant Batman movies. There are some creative decisions made here for cinematic purposes but I think those changes work within the context of the world that Nolan created.
__________________
Admiral Young
Chief of Operations

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2010, 03:47 AM   #53
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral
 
Trekker4747's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: The Dark Knight

The biggest thing that bothered me was how much Gotham changed between movies. In the first movie Wayne Enterprises is a large, central, Empire State Building-looking building that's not only a central hub for the El-Trains but also for the city's water reclamation. There were other things in "BB" that made Gotham look like it's own city while still keeping it in the mundane and not going over-the-top gothic looking like the Burton/Schumacher films did. But in TDK now only is the Wayne building vastly different looking (though, I guess, it could just be a branch or secondary building or something) but the city as a whole looks very different and doesn't even try to not look like Chicago.

(The ferry scene stands out, hugely, as looking like Chi-town.)
__________________
Just because it's futuristic doesn't mean it's practical.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2010, 03:49 AM   #54
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral
 
Admiral_Young's Avatar
 
Location: Gallifrey
View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: The Dark Knight

I kind of looked at those changes as being part of the clean up of the city that transpired between "Batman Begins" and "The Dark Knight". I've never noticed any significant changes of the Wayne building though, will have to take another look.
__________________
Admiral Young
Chief of Operations

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2010, 04:16 AM   #55
Aragorn
Admiral
 
Aragorn's Avatar
 
Re: The Dark Knight

They used a different building. You could always explain it away by saying Bruce didn't want the water and the train going through Wayne Enterprises after the events of Batman Begins and moved.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2010, 05:59 AM   #56
Manticore
Rear Admiral
 
Location: Manticore
Re: The Dark Knight

Not to mention the fact that a train crashed through the bottom of the original Wayne Tower, taking out a ton of structural supports.
__________________
Lord Vorkosigan does not always get what he wants.
WWJAD
Manticore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2010, 04:02 PM   #57
Icemizer
Fleet Captain
 
Icemizer's Avatar
 
Re: The Dark Knight

Ah the Joker the guy who doesnt make any plans, umm wait... he plans out things in such intricate detail and with such preperation as to make a moon landing look simple. I still find this movie to be dull over much of its overly long running time. The Joker while well acted was poorly thought out and lets not even start on all the missed opportunities he had as a character in this movie.
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2010, 01:06 AM   #58
Lapis Exilis
Rear Admiral
 
Lapis Exilis's Avatar
 
Location: Underground
Re: The Dark Knight

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
The biggest thing that bothered me was how much Gotham changed between movies. In the first movie Wayne Enterprises is a large, central, Empire State Building-looking building that's not only a central hub for the El-Trains but also for the city's water reclamation. There were other things in "BB" that made Gotham look like it's own city while still keeping it in the mundane and not going over-the-top gothic looking like the Burton/Schumacher films did. But in TDK now only is the Wayne building vastly different looking (though, I guess, it could just be a branch or secondary building or something) but the city as a whole looks very different and doesn't even try to not look like Chicago.

(The ferry scene stands out, hugely, as looking like Chi-town.)
Not as much as the confrontation on the street with Joker when he's standing in front of a well-known sweet shop on LaSalle Street, prominently named "Sweet Home Chicago". Great candy there, though.

The Dark Knight is an extremely enjoyable movie with the usual amount of unbelievability that are part and parcel of all superhero stories. This clashes somewhat with the generally naturalistic style of the film so that contrast feels pretty stark. The movie also suffers from the same thing all Nolan films suffer from - a kind of breathless pacing through the fairly complicated exposition, followed by sometimes ponderous pacing through the payoff (compare the whole Lau set up and the ferry scenes with Inception's introduction of Ariadne to dream architecting and the ice-level action sequences), as well as kind of remoteness that can make it difficult to feel the emotional trauma of the main characters. Again compare Bruce's grieving for Rachel scene with Inception's final reveal of how Cobb knows the act of inception is possible - these should both be heart-breaking scenes, but they feel cold and intellectual rather than emotional.

Dark Knight is an interesting movie, however, just like most of Nolan's other films. It's ballsy for a superhero movie and it's a postmodern delight, mixing genres with careful calculation. I'd agree with whoever said it seems to be something without actually achieving any thematic coherence - but it's far more "about something" than most superhero movies because at least it tries to get into some issues about what heroism and villainy are in a complicated world, while at the same time being a satisfying superhero movie - even if it's not completely successful at saying anything profound.

As Batman movies go, it's hard to say if it's good or bad because people are very split on what a good Batman movie means, depending on which version of the character you like. I've always been fond of the particular version that seems to have inspired Nolan, so it really works for me, but I can see where others would find it unsatisfying on that score.
__________________
Don't try to win over the haters; you're not the jackass whisperer. - Scott Straten
Lapis Exilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2010, 01:11 AM   #59
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer
 
Spaceman Spiff's Avatar
 
Re: The Dark Knight

Seeing the merit of other points of view?

Madam, are you unfamiliar with the Internet?
__________________
"Love means never having to say you're ugly."
- Dr. Phibes
Spaceman Spiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2010, 02:58 AM   #60
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral
 
Trekker4747's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: The Dark Knight

One thing about Inception, and I think I mentioned this in my review of the movie, is that the whole movie was set-up for the climax. The whole movie is designed to explain to us what Dream Walking is, how it works, setting up the various characters (specifically Cobb) and it was all build-up to the "drama" abd action of the final act in the Scarecrow's dream.

Inception does remain, however, one of my more favorite movies.
__________________
Just because it's futuristic doesn't mean it's practical.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
batman, the dark knight

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:49 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.