Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old November 19 2010, 09:15 PM   #136
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Re: DEXTER Season 5 Discussion & Spoilers

After Deb's psycho little talk about not caring about shooting the bad guy, it looks like they're definitely going for the Deb finds out angle by the end of the season, which is good, they shouldn't drag it out too much longer.

After that, the series got really weird -- right down to the whole Moloch thing. (The "Dark Passenger" is a demonic possession? REALLY?)
I kind of liked that! But if I'm watching the TV show, there's no value to me of having the books go in the same real-world direction. I'd like to see where the Moloch thing goes (though I've heard Lindsay dropped it because of the backlash).
I can see this happening: Weller's character wants to out Dexter but Quinn doesn't want to due to his relationship with Deb. He tries to stop Weller and Weller shoots him. Quinn manages to call Deb or she finds him before he dies and he warns her about Weller and reveals Dexter's secret so Deb goes after Weller to try to stop him or she goes to warn Dexter.
Sounds like a plausible scenario. I bet Lumen survives the season and drops out of the series on her own accord, without ever ratting Dex out, and with the implication that she never will. Most likely the boyfriend comes back into the picture.

Lumen's overall purpose may be to foreshadow the idea that Dexter can also drop out of the murderous life like her, with no repercussions. Lumen is less nuts than Dexter so it's an option for her. But her effect on Dexter seems to be softening him up - when he claimed to be helping her in order to stop the rapists, as opposed to the "real" reason of needing to kill, it sounded like he really believed it.

I've been a bit grumpy that Lumen isn't more of a psycho, maybe angry at all men and Dex can't see it, so that she becomes a threat to him that the audience perceives before he does. That would add an edge to their scenes. But if her purpose in the story is what I just described, then she has to be portrayed as someone who is not a threat to Dex, doesn't need to be killed at the end of the season, and can foreshadow how the writers intend to end the series.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2010, 04:52 AM   #137
MichaelDornFan
Lieutenant Commander

Hmm, I could have done without all of the Astor-going-emo-shoplifter drama, but it looks like the next few episodes will be great.
MichaelDornFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2010, 05:21 AM   #138
Geck
Rear Admiral

^Yeah, I just finished watching. Shame that episode 9 of the season was taken up with 75% filler. At least it laid more groundwork for Deb-finds-out, which it looks more and more likely to happen by this season's end, especially given the promo at the end.
Geck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2010, 08:42 AM   #139
Jack Bauer
Fleet Admiral

Yeah, it definitely looks like Deb will find out Dexter's secret this year. If she doesn't she'll come damn close to for sure.
Old November 24 2010, 08:44 AM   #140
Aragorn
Admiral

There was no reason for Eli Stone to show his hand to Dexter and Lumen. Oh well.

And it was nice to see that RoboCop wasn't actually able to see Dexter a few miles away dumping the body in the middle of darkness with his camera, that instead the shots were of them getting on the boat.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2010, 10:50 AM   #141
Harvey
Admiral

Aragorn wrote: View Post
There was no reason for Eli Stone to show his hand to Dexter and Lumen. Oh well.
This season has long since lost any chance of holding up to a second viewing, but it's still able to provide a temporary thrill or two, and the ending of this week's episode worked in that sense.

I did like that this episode offered some real forward momentum, and that it touched upon the occasional theme of the relationship between Dexter and Lumen (i.e. that she reminds him of Rita, and he's helping her as part of the healing process), which I find the most promising angle left in that storyline.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2010, 08:56 PM   #142
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

I have a bad feeling that the writers have decided to set-up the eventual happy ending of the series by "taming" Dexter into someone who can ride off into the sunset after losing the duality of his character, that he was someone equally capable of killing an innocent as a guilty person, and prevented from doing so only by the ever-sketchy control imposed by The Code. Remember that Dexter? Seems like a million years ago.

I was hoping Rita's murder would propel Dexter into an even more precarious state. If he were getting less and less in control, and Lumen were far more dangerous and vengeful, this season would be a lot more dynamic. But then the writers would face the problem of how to pull off any kind of happy ending for the series (which I kinda do want to see).
Old November 27 2010, 10:13 PM   #143
Harvey
Admiral

It seemed for a time this season (mainly in the premiere) that the writers were going down the road of sending Dexter into insanity. But (especially with the last episode, featuring Astor) it certainly seems more and more like they're headed in the opposite direction of that, and if it means Quinn must become a moron, the bathroom murder in 5.1 must be forgotten, and everyone must have collective amnesia about the Bay Harbor Butcher, then the writers seem fully willing to make those leaps. Too bad, I say.

DEXTER will always be a watchable series due to the leading actor's performance (and, to a lesser extent, the big guest stars: Keith Carradine, Jimmy Smits, and John Lithgow), but I doubt more and more that it will be remembered as a great series (or, in the very least, a consistently great series). Oh, well. I'll probably keep tuning in until the end, which can't be long now, unless Showtime really wants to drag the show into Oblivion for the sake of ratings (which are still better than ever, no?).

Old November 27 2010, 10:53 PM   #144
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Yeah I think they just posted a series high...I'm sure everyone will keep watching just to see Deb finally figure things out. Not sure how long after that the show can last, maybe another season.
Old November 27 2010, 11:52 PM   #145
AJBryant
Fleet Captain

I can't help but hear that guy's last line to the poor girl in Jerry Seinfeld's voice.

"Hello, LUMEN."

Abba Anthony [St. Anthony the Great] said, "A time is coming when men will go mad, and when they see someone who is not mad, they will attack him, saying, 'You are mad; you are not like us.' " -- Wisdom of the Desert Fathers
AJBryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2010, 12:22 AM   #146
Jax
Admiral

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Yeah I think they just posted a series high...I'm sure everyone will keep watching just to see Deb finally figure things out. Not sure how long after that the show can last, maybe another season.
Ain't everyone contracted up to season 6 ? I would feel Michael C Hal and the writers would want to end after next season, seems like the show is in the winding down phase.
Old November 28 2010, 01:07 AM   #147
Harvey
Admiral

The writers have come and gone on DEXTER (it has had three showrunners in five seasons), so if someone is going to put their foot down about ending the series, it will have to be Michael C. Hall (and, probably, Jennifer Carpenter, who might be the only other indispensable actor to the series, unless Deb is killed in some sort of dramatic fashion).

I don't think Showtime will lead the way, since it has shown no interest in preserving the legacy of any of their other series. WEEDS, for example, just goes on and on.

Old November 29 2010, 10:10 AM   #148
Aragorn
Admiral

So the only way this show continues on is if someone -- Quinn? -- kills RoboCop and takes all the surveillance stuff, right?
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2010, 06:34 PM   #149
BigFoot
Admiral

I have this weird feeling that Lumen is gonna take the fall for Dex. And kill RoboCop.
BigFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2010, 07:16 PM   #150
Darth_Daver
Captain

BigFoot wrote: View Post
I have this weird feeling that Lumen is gonna take the fall for Dex. And kill RoboCop.
That's kinda happened in s2...
Darth_Daver is offline   Reply With Quote