Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old November 25 2010, 12:15 AM   #46
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Re: So I cancelled Netflix today.

The price increase will just make me more vigilant about optimizing my viewing level so that I only have one disk at home at any given time - no more, no less. I calibrate it to what else is going on (other stuff taking my time/more or less stuff on TV worth watching). If I find I have more than one disk at home consistently, I bump the level down. If I'm going without any at home for a few days, I bump the level up.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2010, 12:21 AM   #47
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

^That's one of the things I like about Netflix -- the ability to change plans frequently. I even put mine on hold for a month occasionally, and my queue is just sitting there waiting for me to come back. Love it!
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2010, 03:26 AM   #48
Star Wolf
Rear Admiral

KB24 wrote: View Post
I don't think its the money increase that upsets most, but as new folks come on and netflix gets fancy with the streaming, sometimes the service does suffer. We've had a lot of damaged discs- especially blu-ray, and we've wondered if someone's been in our mail as well.
darkshadow0001 wrote: View Post
Captain Craig wrote: View Post
Starbreaker wrote: View Post

That sounds like someone is tampering with your mail.
This past year-to-date I've not had one bad disc, scratched too bad to play or cracked. Not one and I go through a lot of discs. Something does sound suspect here. Do you have a roommate or someone who might want to screw with you?

With an unstable job I can see cancelling Netflix or any WANT. I've nearly stopped getting any monthly comics the last two years, instead waiting on collected editions which can then be found themselves discounted.
It's probably just the distribution center. Granted, not every disc was bad, but it seems like I had more now then before. Some distribution centers for Netflix probably just are better then others. I may decide to go back to it, depending on my financial situation. If I did go back to it, like this month, would they charge me for a whole new month or would that wait until the beginning of the month as usual? Or would it be better to wait until December or something if I decide to return?
As a letter carrier my first thought is that your carrier is stuffing your mail box. Her has to take it out, as a letter and there being so many disc he doesn't want to waste time go to your door and/or leave a notice for it. And he doesn't want to leave it outside the box should someone steal it. If anyone misses a day picking up their mail the next day when he delivers, or even that same day with poorer carriers, crack goes the disc as the box fills up.
Old November 25 2010, 07:22 PM   #49
Keith1701
Rear Admiral

Python Trek wrote: View Post
I used to have both Blockbuster and Netflix, and here's what I found:

1. Blockbuster is better for new releases, because the studios have special arrangements with them, and they exclude Netflix from those arrangements.

2. Netflix is more user-friendly. It has a better search feature, it's easier to play around with your queue, and so forth.

3. Netflix is probably still cheaper, even with the price increase.

4. Neiflix is faster. Blockbuster has a terrible turnaround time. You have to wait twice as long to get a new movie.

5. Netflix has the "watch instantly" feature---BB doesn't.

Bottom line---BB sucks, and Netflix rocks. I cancelled BB a while back, and I put 'Flix on hold, so I didn't know about the price increase, until just now.
I like Block Busters better, but I will stick with my DVR
Keith1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2010, 01:56 AM   #50
Lookingglassman
Admiral

I got "Legion" from netflix and was going to watch it until it wouldnt play because of scratches to the disc.
Lookingglassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2010, 02:03 AM   #51
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Four pages and some one, one, likes BlockBuster better. I guess there's always one.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2010, 03:20 AM   #52
Scout101
Admiral

I liked blockbuster just fine, and didn't have any problems with their mailing service or turnaround time. I even like Blockbuster's interface a lot better. Not so much for recommending things, but for making new releases easier to find (plus put in the queue for stuff coming out next week), and having a list of things in the theater now, so you can mark them for when they come out on dvd later. Blu-ray movies were also included for the same price, and new releases come out a month before Netflix has them. Can also get video games as part of the mailing price. All things in their favor.

On the other hand, it was slightly more expensive. Their biggest advantage was being able to trade in things in the store (and get a store movie free while you wait), but they systematically closed all the stores in my area, making that worthless. Didn't to much for streaming, think it was another couple bucks and not really promoted. Really, closing the stores is what killed it for me. Plus the ease of streaming to my bluray player with Netflix.

Sure, pros and cons to both, but saying either is all that much better is kinda fanboy cheerleading IMO. Or personal experience and small sample sizes. I was a blockbuster customer for about 6 years, got hundreds of movies, and never really had any problems...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2010, 03:29 AM   #53
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

Netflix has the option to "save" new movies too. I did that with several things last year like Moon, which never played anywhere near me.
Old November 26 2010, 08:21 AM   #54
flipjack
Lieutenant

From the articles I've read about this, Netflix is practically stating outright that the price increase is to try to drive people towards the "Watch Instantly" only plan. Apparently it's a better profit margin for them.

"We are now primarily a streaming video company delivering a wide selection of TV shows and films over the Internet," Netflix CEO Reed Hastings said in a news release.
flipjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2010, 03:30 PM   #55
Scout101
Admiral

Netflix has the option to "save" new movies too. I did that with several things last year like Moon, which never played anywhere near me.
Yes, it does, but you have to search for the movie to save it, and know what you want ahead of time. Blockbuster has a tab that says "releasing this week", another that's "Releasing next week", and then a "In Theaters" tab. Using the In Theaters one, you could scan through those and save them quickly. Unless I'm doing it wrong, can't find anything similar on Netflix.

Netflix's definition of New Releases pisses me off as well. It defaults to showing a list of anything that's come out in the last couple years, rather than actual new stuff...

So yeah, while netflix is a good service, let's not blow smoke up their ass and pretend they are perfect and everyone else sucks. Blockbuster DID have some better features
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2010, 09:24 PM   #56
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

flipjack wrote: View Post
From the articles I've read about this, Netflix is practically stating outright that the price increase is to try to drive people towards the "Watch Instantly" only plan. Apparently it's a better profit margin for them.
I don't have a hard time believing that; it certainly costs less to stream a movie than it does to maintain a physical inventory at distribution centers across the country and pay for the shipping and receiving costs.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2010, 10:31 PM   #57
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

flipjack wrote: View Post

"We are now primarily a streaming video company delivering a wide selection of TV shows and films over the Internet," Netflix CEO Reed Hastings said in a news release.

Well duh.

They have to buy dics, have a place for them to ship from and hire a few people to run the place. They then have to pay for shipping cost both ways.
Old November 26 2010, 11:02 PM   #58
Snaploud
Admiral

Scout101 wrote: View Post
Netflix's definition of New Releases pisses me off as well. It defaults to showing a list of anything that's come out in the last couple years, rather than actual new stuff...
Yeah, it would be so much easier if they would just let you sort the "new" releases by the date they were added to netflix.
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2010, 11:13 PM   #59
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

They do. You can search new releases from 1 week to one year.

Also, just added by genre.
Old November 26 2010, 11:36 PM   #60
Snaploud
Admiral

They do. You can search new releases from 1 week to one year.

Also, just added by genre.
I'm not seeing that option. Where can I find it?
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote