Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old November 24 2010, 11:45 AM   #46
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Re: The Problems of Remastering TNG, DS9 & VOY

As much as I would like a properly remastered TNG/DS9, at this stage I'd settle for them being released again as-is, provided the bitrate is much higher than it is on the DVDs. TNG is not too bad, but so many eps of DS9 feature low bitrate 'smearing'. So take the master tapes (NOT the DVD releases themselves) and throw the seasons onto a couple of Blu-rays with higher bitrates...I'll be the first sucker lining up to buy them again.

Heck, if Highlander the series can get released on Blu-ray, why not video-era Trek?

Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2010, 02:18 PM   #47
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

BillJ wrote: View Post
I imagine they will go ahead and future proof it by doing the digital masters in 4k resolution.
To do visual effects for a Blu-ray release and future syndication in HD would happen in 1080p not 4K. Only tentpole feature films get a 4K pipeline due to the additional rendering needed and storage. Most feature films are still mastered at 2K. Sure I'd love to see Trek at 4K but 1980s TV series Trek is just not going to happen. Be realistic.
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2010, 03:03 PM   #48
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

jefferiestubes8 wrote: View Post
I imagine they will go ahead and future proof it by doing the digital masters in 4k resolution.
To do visual effects for a Blu-ray release and future syndication in HD would happen in 1080p not 4K. Only tentpole feature films get a 4K pipeline due to the additional rendering needed and storage. Most feature films are still mastered at 2K. Sure I'd love to see Trek at 4K but 1980s TV series Trek is just not going to happen. Be realistic.
Well... Paramount has already been burnt once by not "future proofing" Star Trek: The Motion Picture Directors Edition, rendering those effects at 480p.

I imagine 4k resolution will be the home video standard by about 2030. And we'll all be sitting here taking our Geritol, bitching that Paramount only did 1080p masters back in 2012.
Old November 24 2010, 03:24 PM   #49
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Paramount has already been burnt once by not "future proofing" Star Trek: The Motion Picture Directors Edition, rendering those effects at 480p.
Paramount was already producing ENT mastering in 1080p in 2001 when the ST:TMP DE was released to DVD. They knew then...
Old November 24 2010, 03:38 PM   #50
BillJ
Admiral

Paramount has already been burnt once by not "future proofing" Star Trek: The Motion Picture Directors Edition, rendering those effects at 480p.
Paramount was already producing ENT mastering in 1080p in 2001 when the ST:TMP DE was released to DVD. They knew then...
I'm pretty sure they only rendered the Star Trek: Enterprise special effects at 480p as well.
Old November 24 2010, 04:04 PM   #51
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

ENT visual effects & HD

I'm pretty sure they only rendered the Star Trek: Enterprise special effects at 480p as well.
BillJ see this post for details:
Enterprise visual effects season 1 upconverted from standard def.
http://www.trekbbs.com/showpost.php?...7&postcount=23
Old November 24 2010, 04:12 PM   #52
BillJ
Admiral

Re: ENT visual effects & HD

BillJ see this post for details:
Enterprise visual effects season 1 upconverted from standard def.
http://www.trekbbs.com/showpost.php?...7&postcount=23
So, if I read it right, it was a slow evolution with the effects being completed at standard definition early on then slowly moving away from SD as they got better at creating and rendering the effects.
Old November 24 2010, 04:16 PM   #53
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

I thought we all know by now that you can just upscale the blurry DVDs to HD quality using fancy algorithms.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2010, 10:51 PM   #54
Sparky
Commodore

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
I thought we all know by now that you can just upscale the blurry DVDs to HD quality using fancy algorithms.
It's true! I spent over a year looking at screenshots on my 1000 line Apple monitor. Even my unemployed friend agrees with me.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2010, 11:14 PM   #55
milo bloom
Fleet Captain

I have to agree with the idea of a re-release simply for a better bit rate. We've been watching TNG on a 46" LCD, played on our PS3 (which upconverts to 1080p), and it looks like crap. There are so many instances of sections of people's faces not moving with the rest of their head and it's very distracting. Even dumping the 480p video masters on Bluray with a higher bitrate would be a massive improvement.
Old December 4 2010, 12:49 AM   #56
RAMA
Vice Admiral

milo bloom wrote: View Post
I have to agree with the idea of a re-release simply for a better bit rate. We've been watching TNG on a 46" LCD, played on our PS3 (which upconverts to 1080p), and it looks like crap. There are so many instances of sections of people's faces not moving with the rest of their head and it's very distracting. Even dumping the 480p video masters on Bluray with a higher bitrate would be a massive improvement.
I think this answers some of the issues I've seen on this thread. There's even a prediction it could be done at a faster pace than TOS-R

http://www.dvdtown.com/messageboard/topic/8274/3/0

RAMA