A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 23 2010, 09:35 AM   #91
Xavier_Storma
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Aronofsky's Wolverine film title announced

Funny... I loved the score, got even a complete edition and I am still listening to it... especially the main theme (titled 'Logan through time' on the OST).

Different people, different tastes... it seems.

I liked the cameos (too bad they left Storm out in that African village), especially Xavier's cameo at the end. Made a superb climax for me, and was a very pleasent surprise.

Which action sequences were average, exactly? I thought they were all executed fairly good, especially the Bike sequence and the final fight were just awesome scenes.

As for Deadpool. I had no idea he had a different backstory. But honestly, everything came together in the end, so in the context of the movie itself, this story worked (at least for me)
Old November 23 2010, 09:44 AM   #92
Brikar99
Rear Admiral

Xavier_Storma wrote: View Post

Which action sequences were average, exactly? I thought they were all executed fairly good, especially the Bike sequence and the final fight were just awesome scenes.
The motorcycle sequence was one of the most laughably bad action sequences I've seen in a 'major motion picture' in a while. The green-screen/compositing work alone... Gavin Hood apparently directed a couple of well-liked independent films, but he had no business making a big-budget action movie.
Old November 23 2010, 10:59 AM   #93
Xavier_Storma
Lieutenant Commander

Brikar99 wrote: View Post

The motorcycle sequence was one of the most laughably bad action sequences I've seen in a 'major motion picture' in a while. The green-screen/compositing work alone... Gavin Hood apparently directed a couple of well-liked independent films, but he had no business making a big-budget action movie.
Since most scenes were filmed with stuntmen, I can only think of the sequence when Logan turns the bike with his claws, that looked somehow 'strange'. Most of the other scenes were actually shot on location. On the Bluray they have a whole segment on this scene! The barn exploding, the bike in the woods... Even the heli crash was shot (no CGI model there), so I really do not know what you are talking about!
Old November 23 2010, 02:38 PM   #94
barnaclelapse
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to barnaclelapse

As much as I've never cared for Jackman as Wolverine (which is apparently blasphemy) this actually does sound pretty fucking awesome.
barnaclelapse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2010, 08:10 PM   #95
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

The motorcycle scene and the helicopter sequences were lame, I actually laughed during the helicopter scene. I think the film tried too much and the blatant interference from Fox hurt it.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2010, 08:52 PM   #96
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

I do not know what people hate so much about X-MEN ORIGINS WOLVERINE. It was a fun action movie, with... ..a good plot
You're shitting me. It probably had the worst plot of any movie I've ever seen (and I saw Trek XI).
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2010, 09:04 PM   #97
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

As someone else pointed out unfortunately fans like Xavier (and this isn't a knock on you dude just a generalization) are why those types of movies are made. My best friend who dragged me there and knows nothing about the X-Men except what he's seen in film loved the movie and wondered why I hated it despite me spending a good hour or so after wards explaining things.

Old November 23 2010, 09:53 PM   #98
exodus
Fleet Admiral

exodus wrote: View Post
I do not know what people hate so much about X-MEN ORIGINS WOLVERINE. It was a fun action movie, with a brilliant cast (especially Jackman and Schreiber), a good plot and it was more down to the Earth than the last X-Men films. I liked the gritty style of it, and all the action scenes were cool (especially the tower fight).

I never read the comics though, which could probably explain why I enjoyed all 4 X-films so far.

That being said I am looking forward to both FIRST CLASS and THE WOLVERINE. Aronofsky is a very talented director, who captures the essence of characters on screen. I trust that THE WOLVERINE will become the best and most demanding of the X-films.
Thank you for this input.

You are the otherside of the audience these films are also made for. The part of the audience that's never read an X-Men or Wolvie comic and is getting introducted to them via these films.
Yes! And I loved all four films, even the much hated third one. They had a constant continuing story and I did not 'feel' the much discussed drop in quality from the 2nd to the 3rd.
As for ORIGINS. It was a totally different film and reminded me of RAMBO - FIRST BLOOD in style and narration. It was not worse than the other three. So far no X-film has disappointed me and I am really looking forward to both prequels/spinoffs which are in production.
Understood.
I have many friends that don't read comics and like the movie.
When asked why I have issues with it and I explain why, they reply: You're nitpicking and not to expect a film to be exactly as it is in comics. I've come to agree with them, to a degree. Especially when you consider that comic writers change and alter characters and origins all the time and most times we accept it. It does seem very funny that we'd be upset with a little altering from comic to film. He's still Wolverine and Sabertooth was even better than he was in X-Men.
How bad could it be if folks are still willing to return for a sequel?

Last edited by exodus; November 23 2010 at 10:12 PM.
exodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2010, 10:50 PM   #99
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Well to be honest I think fans are wanting to see the sequel because of who is directing and who is writing. There seems to be a more dedicated effort to making this a serious film with the comics as source material. If Darren Afronsky wasn't directing this I honestly wouldn't give a rat's ass about the sequel and didn't.

Old November 23 2010, 11:17 PM   #100
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

If Darren Aronofsky can't make a good Wolverine movie they should just give up.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2010, 12:43 AM   #101
Xavier_Storma
Lieutenant Commander

Shazam! wrote: View Post
I do not know what people hate so much about X-MEN ORIGINS WOLVERINE. It was a fun action movie, with... ..a good plot
You're shitting me. It probably had the worst plot of any movie I've ever seen (and I saw Trek XI).
No, not really.
What was so wrong with the plot btw? I think it had good twists and turning points (I never though Kayla would return, and that everything was a setup for example), and Victor helping Logan was also extremely unexpected. If a movie is able to surprise me (that's my definition) it already is beyond average. Add good acting, great cinematography, memorable scenes and a superb score to it (of course all IMO, but movies are so subjective) and it's a good movie for me.
If you want to lable me as easy to impress go ahead
Talking of horrible films: Mummy 3, Clash of the Titans... now those were perdictible, boring pieces of trash (again IMO).

Usually I am not the mainstream person. I prefere independent films (The German film "Die Fremde" is a masterpiece for example), but the X-films got me hooked.

I can fully understand that fans of the comics have their issues with the films, but then again, if the films were made to please the core fans, they would never reach a wider audience.
Fans were nitpicking that Cyclops was not the main character in the trilogy. I can tell you from a person's point of view, who never had contact with the comics or animated shows before, that casting Wolverine as the main character gave me a possibility to link with him, and to be introduced into the universe of the X-Men with the first film.
He is a character probably everyone will be able to rely to, since he is on a quest searching for who he is, what his purpose is etc. Questions everyone will ask himself/herself in his/her life at least once. That gives me the possibility to link with him, and through him link with the X-Men in general.
Old November 24 2010, 12:47 AM   #102
exodus
Fleet Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Well to be honest I think fans are wanting to see the sequel because of who is directing and who is writing. There seems to be a more dedicated effort to making this a serious film with the comics as source material.
Isn't that what we were lead to believe about the first one before it came out as well?
Old November 24 2010, 12:56 AM   #103
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

^ Yeah but I wouldn't say to the same extent that they are going about this one. David Benioff had his script messed around with many times before it even hit production, the addition of the mutant cameos being one of the things. I don't think this will be the case with McQuarrie's script. I really don't think Aronofsky will let Fox push him around the way Gavin Hood might have.

Old November 24 2010, 01:00 AM   #104
Aragorn
Admiral

I watched the '90s cartoon as a kid, but never read any of the comics. So from my point of view:

X-Men was an entertaining effort with some shortcomings.

X2 was all kinds of awesome.

X-Men: The Last Stand had two strong ideas that were short changed because they tried to tackle both of them in one movie (and the writing just wasn't very good to begin with anyway), in addition to underwhelming execution from all creative parties involved. Pedestrian would be a fair term to describe it.

X-Men Origins: Wolverine was just one giant mess with lots of aimless mayhem, a distracting parade of cameos and one of the worst movie titles to boot.

Looking forward to The Wolverine because of the creative team involved and the fact that it's not joined at the hip with X-Men Origins: Wolverine.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2010, 01:08 AM   #105
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

^ That last line Aragorn typed is another reason why I'm excited. Clint Mansell score though has me salivating.