Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 23 2010, 02:52 AM   #31
RoJoHen
Awesome

Re: Buffy TVS to be (ugh) Rebooted

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
It's funny that the Wizard of Oz remake is pointless if they copy the 39 film but BTVS is pointless unless SMG and Joss are involved.
The Wizard of Oz is over 70 years old. They can pretty much do whatever they want with a remake, and people can feel free to view it as a different product.

Buffy just ended 7 years ago. Any new product with the same title will obviously feel tied to that show. I'd be fine with somebody rebooting Buffy eventually, but it's silly to do it now.
Old November 23 2010, 02:54 AM   #32
Christopher
Writer

PsychoPere wrote: View Post
The one thing that I think we can be thankful for here is that I believe the Kuzuis only own the rights to the Buffy character in relation to movies. So they can produce as many crappy movies as they want using the character (though without Joss, there's no way it would "really" be Buffy), but at least they can't screw up a new television series too.
The Kuzuis were credited as executive producers on the TV series as well (both Buffy and Angel), so I think that means they do have the TV rights.

I wonder how "Twilight" they could go without stepping on what Whedon did in the series. Would they have to keep it pretty distinct to avoid being on the way to a lawsuit?
As long as they don't use the actual character names or exact plot beats, it's not plagiarism to tell the same general type of story. I mean, it's not as if Twilight was the first story about vampiric romance, or even the only one currently in production.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2010, 02:58 AM   #33
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

^^ I was thinking that they have the rights to remake the movie not the series BTVS, and BTVS the series focuses a lot on a brooding romance with a vampire. It seems to me if you start going down that route Whedon might have a case that they're infringing on the series.

Oh yeah, and instead of a reboot shouldn't this be considered a revamp?
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2010, 03:01 AM   #34
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

I thought Joss owned the television rights? I also think he explained the whole rights issue on one of the audio commentary tracks for Buffy The Vampire Slayer.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2010, 03:09 AM   #35
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Well, it's not like the existence of a Buffy movie is going to cause our DVDs to vanish. Believe me, we've already tested that one.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2010, 03:10 AM   #36
RoJoHen
Awesome

Dennis wrote: View Post
Well, it's not like the existence of a Buffy movie is going to cause our DVDs to vanish. Believe me, we've already tested that one.
No, but it's just silly. Buffy is already a very popular series and hasn't been off the air very long. Why not try to cash in on that by finding a way to continue the story instead of rebooting it?
Old November 23 2010, 03:12 AM   #37
24thcenstfan
Commander

I just hope the reboot isn't as bad as the 1992 "Buffy The Vampire Slayer" movie staring Kristy Swanson.
Old November 23 2010, 03:19 AM   #38
Christopher
Writer

^^ I was thinking that they have the rights to remake the movie not the series BTVS, and BTVS the series focuses a lot on a brooding romance with a vampire. It seems to me if you start going down that route Whedon might have a case that they're infringing on the series.
You can't copyright a general type of storyline. What their lack of rights means is that they can't use specific characters and events created for the TV series. They can use Buffy, Pike, Merrick, or any of the characters from the original film, but they can't use Willow, Xander, Giles, Angel, Spike, Faith, Riley, or any of the characters from the series. They can't use Sunnydale, the Hellmouth, the Bronze, the Initiative, or other locations or institutions specific to the series.

Now, if they tried to tell a story where Buffy got involved with a reformed vampire named, ohh, Gabriel who lost his soul and became evil when they slept together, then yes, that would be infringement, because it would be the same recognizable story. But human-vampire romance in general is not specific enough to copyright. If it were, then Whedon would've already sued Stephenie Meyer and won -- or, heck, Anne Rice would've sued Whedon and won.

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
No, but it's just silly. Buffy is already a very popular series and hasn't been off the air very long. Why not try to cash in on that by finding a way to continue the story instead of rebooting it?
Because the people doing this are the Kuzuis, who had no involvement with the series beyond getting paid for the rights to the concept. They'd probably rather develop the property on their own than go back to deferring to Joss Whedon. I don't think Whedon and the Kuzuis really see eye-to-eye. After all, Fran Rubel Kuzui directed the '92 film, and we all know that film went in a radically different direction from what Whedon wanted.

Old November 23 2010, 03:59 AM   #39
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

Whedon statement
Old November 23 2010, 04:17 AM   #40
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Starbreaker wrote: View Post

He may be the only person in that business who's both truly clever and has a decent perspective on the silliness of how he makes his living.

Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2010, 04:29 AM   #41
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Joss is awesome, this movie won't be.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2010, 04:51 AM   #42
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
The Kuzuis were credited as executive producers on the TV series as well (both Buffy and Angel), so I think that means they do have the TV rights.
Right, I recall the credits, but I've never read anything specific that talked about them having the TV rights; the mentions of rights and the Kuzuis that I've seen over the past several years have always related specifically to movies. I suppose I could have inferred from that far more than I should have (and I can admit to wishful thinking too). But it's always seemed to me that what I've read says Joss himself has the tv rights, and the Kuzuis were credited because of the Buffy character herself being carried over.

24thcenstfan wrote: View Post
I just hope the reboot isn't as bad as the 1992 "Buffy The Vampire Slayer" movie staring Kristy Swanson.
Which also means anyone who would be interested to see the film should hope Warner Bros. brings in a director who is not Fran Kuzui herself, since she and Donald Sutherland were primarily responsible for butchering Whedon's original script.

I wonder how "Twilight" they could go without stepping on what Whedon did in the series. Would they have to keep it pretty distinct to avoid being on the way to a lawsuit?
I'm fairly certain the only characters they could use would be Buffy herself, and the other movie characters (Merrick, Pike, etc.). If they tried to use a developing witch named Willow Rosenberg, for example, they'd be stepping into the tv rights that I believe Joss owns.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2010, 04:55 AM   #43
AJBryant
Fleet Captain

Did I see some nonsense about a legion of fans anxiously awaiting this movie?

In what frakking universe?
Abba Anthony [St. Anthony the Great] said, "A time is coming when men will go mad, and when they see someone who is not mad, they will attack him, saying, 'You are mad; you are not like us.' " -- Wisdom of the Desert Fathers
AJBryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2010, 04:58 AM   #44
Gaith
Rear Admiral

As a Whedon agnostic who's never watched the show and never plans to (Gellar = fail), I've got an open mind on this. Shocking, I know.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2010, 05:17 AM   #45
Christopher
Writer

PsychoPere wrote: View Post
Right, I recall the credits, but I've never read anything specific that talked about them having the TV rights; the mentions of rights and the Kuzuis that I've seen over the past several years have always related specifically to movies. I suppose I could have inferred from that far more than I should have (and I can admit to wishful thinking too). But it's always seemed to me that what I've read says Joss himself has the tv rights, and the Kuzuis were credited because of the Buffy character herself being carried over.
Well, I think we're talking about two different things here. It's not about having the TV rights so much as about having the rights to things from the TV show. After all, the existing TV series couldn't have been done without the Kuzuis' nominal participation, so if they didn't have the TV rights, BTVS the series wouldn't have existed at all.

The Kuzuis don't have the rights to the characters and concepts that are specific to the BTVS television series, but I don't think that would preclude them (theoretically) from doing a TV series that was derived exclusively from the characters and concepts in the '92 movie. I.e. they couldn't do a TV series about Buffy and Willow and Xander and Giles in Sunnydale, but if they wanted to, they could do a TV series about Buffy and Pike and Merrick in Los Angeles. Or a TV series about, say, a 30-year-old Buffy relocating to New Orleans and teaming up with a Vodoun priestess and a handsome doctor. As long as it comes solely from the movie, I don't think there are any restrictions on whether it is a movie, a TV show, or whatever.

But that's a moot argument, because the project they're doing is a movie. However, if by some miracle the movie did well, they could probably do a TV series based on it.

Last edited by Christopher; November 23 2010 at 05:35 AM.