Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 23 2010, 12:08 AM   #16
Christopher
Writer

Re: Buffy TVS to be (ugh) Rebooted

Starbreaker wrote: View Post
It wasn't misread. Read the post.
I did, several times, to confirm it.

Atlas Entertainment announced today it is rebooting the beloved franchise, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, with Warner Bros. Pictures. Atlas' Charles Roven and Steve Alexander will produce the feature film alongside Doug Davison and Roy Lee of Vertigo Entertainment (The Ring, How to Train Your Dragon, The Departed). Whit Anderson is writing the script.
"Whit approached us with an exciting idea about how to update Buffy," said Roven. "There is an active fan base eagerly awaiting this character's return to the big screen. We're thrilled to team up with Doug and Roy on a re-imagining of Buffy and the world she inhabits. Details of the film are being kept under wraps, but I can say while this is not your high school Buffy, she'll be just as witty, tough, and sexy as we all remember her to be."
(Emphasis added.)

That description leaves me wondering if maybe this is meant to be a sequel to the '92 Kristy Swanson film.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2010, 12:11 AM   #17
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Already stated my opinion in the first thread but yeah ultimately not interested in this if Joss isn't involved.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2010, 12:12 AM   #18
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
Samuel Walters wrote: View Post
The strangest things about all of this, to me, are that BTVS would be called "classic" and would get a cinematic reboot. After watching the original film (just once, so painfully I never touched the series), I never would have thought something like this would happen. Must say something about the quality show, though.
I don't use the word classic lightly but I genuinely believe that it can be applied to BTVS. Yes, the original movie was pants and it - and the very name - put me off the tv show but once I gave it a chance, I was hooked. You should give it a try.
I think perhaps I will. Once I clear my plate a bit. Once I do, I'll be sure to post my thoughts here -- it'd be cool to get some feedback. Besides, even with the terrible film and silly title, there really must be something to all the fuss that's made about it.
Old November 23 2010, 12:12 AM   #19
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

It's funny that the Wizard of Oz remake is pointless if they copy the 39 film but BTVS is pointless unless SMG and Joss are involved.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2010, 12:13 AM   #20
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

The only thing that might interest me in this is hearing or reading Joss's thoughts on this once it comes out. Otherwise I'm not planning on seeing this when or if it comes out.

Old November 23 2010, 12:14 AM   #21
Blamo
Fleet Captain

I'm not exactly against the idea of a reboot... It's just that what made Buffy work was more then just a girl slaying vampires and being "witty, tough and sexy". There was some actually decent characterisation and development that went along with all that. Not to mention that one of the most enjoyable aspects of the show was the scoobie gang (Giles included).

I have this cynical feeling that the only reason it's being made is to cash in on the slew of Vampire related shows/movies.

I won't say it'll be terrible, but to be honest I can't see it being all that good.
Blamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2010, 12:25 AM   #22
Ethros
Vice Admiral

If this were in 10 years time (at least), it would still probably be shite, but at least I could kind of understand.
But remaking it now, euurgghh.

Can't they at least wait 5 years or so and have Chloë Moretz as Buffy?
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2010, 12:26 AM   #23
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I think the majority of fans are against Joss not being involved in his own creation sans not having the rights. As Christopher so rightly stated on the first page this is a cash grab and people trying to cash in on the vampire craze. I also think that there is a fear that they are going to "Twilight" "Buffy" up.

Old November 23 2010, 12:30 AM   #24
Ethros
Vice Admiral

^ That's true, but at least they avoided that with Let Me In. The studio wanted to age the kids up from Let The Right One In so they're teenagers (obviously to cash in on Twilight crap) but thank fuck Matt Reeves convinced them otherwise
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2010, 12:33 AM   #25
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

The one thing that I think we can be thankful for here is that I believe the Kuzuis only own the rights to the Buffy character in relation to movies. So they can produce as many crappy movies as they want using the character (though without Joss, there's no way it would "really" be Buffy), but at least they can't screw up a new television series too.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2010, 12:39 AM   #26
KB24
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to KB24 Send a message via Yahoo to KB24

I have to read this thread in detail, but this is complete surprise and a total waste. Unless there is some sort of adaption of the Season 8 comic or a Faith based movie, this is completely unnecessary. Why do they bother?
http://ithinkthereforeireview.blogspot.com
KB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2010, 12:42 AM   #27
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
What is the fucking point of this? The show hasn't even been off the air that long! What's next, canceling a TV series and then rebooting it the very next season?

I shouldn't joke, since things like that actually do happen in the world of TV (seaQuest 2032, for example.)
That's completely different.

Seaquest 3032 was a continuation, they still had the same characters, the story just took place 15 years later (or whatever it was).
Old November 23 2010, 12:53 AM   #28
BDJ
Lieutenant Commander

I so thoroughly enjoy the Whedon Buffyverse that there is no way I could even begin to consider a reboot.
I saw the Swanson flick first. I was appalled.
I refused to watch the tv show that was based on such a pile of crap movie.
Then I saw an interview with Armin Shimmerman on how he was losing two jobs at once (his character's run was ending on both Buffy and DS9 at the same time) and the clips adjoining the interview persuaded me to try out BTVS. I was hooked from then on!
So, as for me and my house, No Whedonverse, No BTVS!!
Choke on it, Hollyweird Twilight ripoff artists!!! Jus' sayin'!
BDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2010, 01:57 AM   #29
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

It's actually "Seaquest 2032" not 3023. Also it simply renamed it's show not rebooted it. Like "Enterprise" finally became "Star Trek: Enterprise" in season three or whatever it was. This is just a movie being remade, I wouldn't even go so far as to call it a reboot or re imagining.

Old November 23 2010, 02:00 AM   #30
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

I wonder how "Twilight" they could go without stepping on what Whedon did in the series. Would they have to keep it pretty distinct to avoid being on the way to a lawsuit?
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote