Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 22 2010, 05:12 AM   #331
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Re: AMC's The Walking Dead Season 1 Discussion & Spoilers

That--was excellent. When they were protecting the older people and they all were so respectful of abuela....I loved it. A custodian can be noble. Loved the killer dogs.

But the ending.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2010, 05:28 AM   #332
Zachary Smith
Vice Admiral

The question in my mind right now is whether Merle is somehow responsible for the attack . . .

My favorite TV show is "Cool Hand Luke Skywalker--Texas Ranger". The best episode is the one where he fights Samantha's wacky Sith Lord Uncle, Darth Arthur . . ."
Zachary Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2010, 05:28 AM   #333
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

I really liked the way things turned out with the "gang" - I wasn't expecting anything along those lines before the old woman showed up in the middle of the stand-off. The attack on the camp was where I was expecting the season to end and I'm glad to have been wrong, because I didn't want to wait for season two to see reactions from the survivors. Even knowing it was coming at some point, that attack was damned brutal. I also liked the symmetry between opening the episode with Andrea and Amy on the lake, and ending the episode with them as well.

"Vatos," by the way, was written by Robert Kirkman himself, the creator of the comics series.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2010, 05:39 AM   #334
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

What could he have done? Driven the zombies there himself? It would take a little more time than that for them to stagger up the hill if they were following him in the van, wouldn't it? Wouldn't Merle be putting his brother at risk by doing that?

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2010, 06:02 AM   #335
sojourner
Admiral

I don't remember the sister dying that soon in the comics??? Still an excellent episode.
Old November 22 2010, 06:09 AM   #336
Trek4Ever
Fleet Captain

I haven't read the comic in years so I forgot how faithful the show is to the first few issues. I don't remember Rick and company going back to Atlanta. Can anyone with a fresher memory compare notes?
Trek4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2010, 06:18 AM   #337
MilleniumLance
Captain

Amy died in the 5th issue sojourner
Old November 22 2010, 06:24 AM   #338
sojourner
Admiral

^of the comic or the graphic novels?
Old November 22 2010, 06:38 AM   #339
MilleniumLance
Captain

comic
Old November 22 2010, 07:45 AM   #340
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

PsychoPere wrote: View Post
I really liked the way things turned out with the "gang" - I wasn't expecting anything along those lines before the old woman showed up in the middle of the stand-off.
Me too, that was really cool.

Though it occurred to me after watching that the "vatos" must really have their hands full. Trying to maintain a bunch of old and people under those conditions, you're going to have a high death rate. You'd have to patrol the halls and monitor the rooms constantly to keep from getting overrun from within. And you'd have to have some organized method to get rid of the bodies-- I can't see beating in someone's skull and splattering the walls while they're still in their room. Not if you want to keep all the other patients peaceful.

And these are your relatives! How do you deal with that?
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2010, 08:23 AM   #341
MilleniumLance
Captain

Silvercrest wrote: View Post
PsychoPere wrote: View Post
I really liked the way things turned out with the "gang" - I wasn't expecting anything along those lines before the old woman showed up in the middle of the stand-off.
Me too, that was really cool.

Though it occurred to me after watching that the "vatos" must really have their hands full. Trying to maintain a bunch of old and people under those conditions, you're going to have a high death rate. You'd have to patrol the halls and monitor the rooms constantly to keep from getting overrun from within. And you'd have to have some organized method to get rid of the bodies-- I can't see beating in someone's skull and splattering the walls while they're still in their room. Not if you want to keep all the other patients peaceful.

And these are your relatives! How do you deal with that?
after reading the comics, this is just the tip of the iceberg, these people are about to go through some seriously messed up crap..
Old November 22 2010, 09:38 AM   #342
Aragorn
Admiral

There was some bad directing with the people just staying put and letting the zombies eat them.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2010, 03:55 PM   #343
barnaclelapse
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to barnaclelapse

As sick as I am of zombie things I have to say I really enjoyed the hell out of the first four episodes. I guess I shouldn't be surprised considering the people involved, but I really was prepared to be ambivalent to yet another zombie story.
barnaclelapse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2010, 04:28 PM   #344
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Location: Beyond the wall of sleep, somewhere south of Seattle.

Well thats certainly upped the ante. Its not a fun 'lets run arould killing zombies!' show anymore. I guess at this point the best bet is to go back into the city and join up with the survivors at the hospital. (I'm probably wrong, but I refuse to read the comic. I don't want to get into a cycle if "Hey, thats not how they did it in the comic/tv show!").

Aragorn wrote: View Post
There was some bad directing with the people just staying put and letting the zombies eat them.
The writers probably tacked on a second or two for dramatic effect, but it real life, people would freeze up for a couple of seconds. Especially if they had their guard down like everyone did in this case.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2010, 04:53 PM   #345
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
I don't remember the sister dying that soon in the comics??? Still an excellent episode.
As MillenniumLance said, Amy died in issue #5 during a zombie attack on the camp, just like in this episode. Issue #6 was the end of the first arc, so it's reasonably close in proximity to where the characters' journey in the show probably is at this point.

Trek4Ever wrote: View Post
I haven't read the comic in years so I forgot how faithful the show is to the first few issues. I don't remember Rick and company going back to Atlanta. Can anyone with a fresher memory compare notes?
Rick and Glenn went into Atlanta in issue #4 in order to locate a gun store. It was for that situation Rick came up with the zombie disguise idea.

Cutter John wrote: View Post
[...] I refuse to read the comic. I don't want to get into a cycle if "Hey, thats not how they did it in the comic/tv show!").
That's unfortunate, because you're depriving yourself of some excellent writing and great artwork. For my part, I'm not bothered at all when the show diverges from the comic. In fact, I'm enjoying seeing the way the show is using the comic as a roadmap and taking detours to add interesting material to flesh out the story even more. The situation with the Vatos gang, for example, was entirely for the show, yet it fits perfectly. So far, everyone involved has hit that perfect line of having the same "spirit" as the comic yet being a sensible, rather than slavish, adaptation.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote