Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old November 20 2010, 09:39 PM   #31
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

Re: Stupid Sets

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Dukhat wrote: View Post
any other insignificant detail
The engineering spaces/brewery was a featured scene, what are you talking about?
JJAbrams' 1701 engineering(brewery) set did not even try to make it look like it belonged inside a starship.
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2010, 09:58 PM   #32
David cgc
Vice Admiral

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
The pipes are labelled "INERT REACTANT". Apparently that's not the oxymoron it appears to be.
"Inert Reactant" would be a fairly accurate way of describing the "matter" storage for a matter/antimatter reactor. They could have it in heavy water for long-term storage, and break it out into deuterium when they actually need to expend it. Or it could've been for the fusion reactors in the impulse engines.

It's a term used in chemistry, though. I couldn't find a precise definition, because the Google results are cluttered with people complaining about it as an apparently nonsensical phrase among the uses of it in scientific papers and textbooks.
Old November 21 2010, 09:36 AM   #33
Chick_McGeester
Lieutenant

I guess in the new alturnate universe, starships are built with bricks and concrete cinder blocks. Also engineering has what, 50-60 foot ceilings? Is that considered just one deck? IMO the Brewery set was the worst thing about StarTrek 2009. It did NOT look like it belonged on a starship... Unless they build them with brick and concrete...
Chick_McGeester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2010, 02:23 PM   #34
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Where's all this brick and concrete I keep hearing about? I've seen the movie a dozen times and I've yet to see any.

And no, it's not "one deck", the idea is that the engineering section is open-plan and doesn't have traditional decks - the IMSDB script describes it as "twelve stories of catwalks".
Old November 21 2010, 09:56 PM   #35
kkozoriz1
Fleet Captain

The LA Airport Holiday Inn will be utilized for shots of the crew quarters in the sequel.
kkozoriz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2010, 10:17 PM   #36
Chris_Johnston
Captain

View Chris_Johnston's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Chris_Johnston Send a message via Yahoo to Chris_Johnston

Styro wrote: View Post
I'm all for using real locations in order to produce a realistic look to the movie sets, but some of the ones that were used in the latest Star Trek movie were ridiculous. The star ship construction site looked exactly likely a current-day power substation. Besides, would a major construction facility really have such a makeshift gravel driveway?

Then, the water tank scene looked exactly like a water plant, as it in fact, was. There were WAY too many water tanks to be believable, and there was WAY too much space inside that room to be contained within the Enterprise and still leave enough room for regular decks. How much water does one crew need to drink and bathe in?
Absolutely. Those scenes took me right out of the movie, because those locations looked exactly like what they were, and not anything remotely futuristic.
"How did we get from a 24th-century space vessel to a 20th-century brewery/water treatment plant?"
Old November 22 2010, 12:37 AM   #37
UFO
Captain

kkozoriz1 wrote: View Post
The LA Airport Holiday Inn will be utilized for shots of the crew quarters in the sequel.
Great, the money saved can go towards hiring a science fiction writer!
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2010, 06:20 AM   #38
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Apparently none of you lot have ever seen Space Mutiny...
Old November 23 2010, 08:47 AM   #39
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Psh. People have been bringing up Space Mutiny with some regularity ever since word first came that the Engineering scenes were shot--not at a Paramount Studios soundstage, where most of the other sets were to be found--but at a "redressed industrial location". Nearly a year before the movie went into general release, this.

Last edited by M'Sharak; November 23 2010 at 08:58 AM. Reason: wording
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2010, 05:04 PM   #40
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
Psh. People have been bringing up Space Mutiny with some regularity ever since word first came that the Engineering scenes were shot--not at a Paramount Studios soundstage, where most of the other sets were to be found--but at a "redressed industrial location". Nearly a year before the movie went into general release, this.
Yes, I saw Space Mutiny on MST3K, the special effects space scenes were all footage from the Battlestar Galactica 1978-1980 series. I wonder if that is were JJ got his idea for the engineering set? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096149/
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2010, 05:20 PM   #41
Kaziarl
Commodore

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
Where's all this brick and concrete I keep hearing about? I've seen the movie a dozen times and I've yet to see any.
I'm actually curious about this too. I don't recall seeing any concrete floors on the ships specifically. But I do recall the floors of the TOS Enterprise actually where concrete. So to me it seems a bit hypocritical to say that the 2009 movie is wrong because it did something TOS did.

Anyway, just my own opinion.
Old November 23 2010, 10:41 PM   #42
Captain Rob
Commodore

^^ At least the concrete stage floor was painted to not look like concrete.
Since they can manipulate gravity and subspace, can't they have space-concrete? How tough and strong would the ship be if it was made out of some 23rd Century exotic reinforced concrete? The hull could be made out of sections consisting of some exotic composite material that's poured into shape like concrete. And then joined to the hull sub structure with those self-sealing stembolts.
But no more brewery or water processing plant in the next movies.
Old November 23 2010, 11:15 PM   #43
Shatnertage
Rear Admiral

View Shatnertage's Twitter Profile

I admit to being confused as to why a starship engine room from the year 2258 would need WATER tanks...
Maybe they route their domestic hot water through the warp core to save on heating costs?

Could be lots of things, I guess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlOTRxt-dIw
Shatnertage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2010, 04:02 PM   #44
thepatagonian
Ensign

I'm all for adding a sense of scale and realism to sets, however JJ failed miserably. But did anyone really think that this guy was a genius like Probert and company?

1701-D connects the outside and inside (with windows and the shape of Deck 1) in a very satisfying way. Perhaps we got spoiled. Perhaps, we got shafted.

I for one would hate to work on JJ's ship. If it's not the grunge of the brewery its the eye blistering brightness of an Apple store.

Gravel driveway? No problem, more ecologically friendly I suppose. Apparently flying debris is no longer a problem. Drexler's original sketch for the shipyards would have been faaaaaaar more appropriate. A shipyard in Iowa? Bothering me less and less,...does anyone REALLY want these enormous machines built in San Francisco or other urban center? What possible advantage would that have aside from shortened supply lines,...in exchange for air and ground space congestion, light and sound pollution, and if it it's really as 20th century as it appears then industrial hazards.
thepatagonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2010, 04:26 PM   #45
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Bit doesn't STXI connect the inside and outside of the ship pretty clearly too? It's impossible to mistake the bridge window, we see the how the giant hanger deck leads straight to engineering (you have to pass through the lowest level of engineering on your way in and out), and we see the warp cores eject through the cieling and emerge from the lower neck, right where they should.