Greenwood Cast In Truth
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Cumberbatch In Talks For Strange
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Two New Trek Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Meaney On Playing Historical Figure Durant
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate Seize The Fire.
Outstanding 6 5.31%
Above Average 24 21.24%
Average 32 28.32%
Below Average 33 29.20%
Poor 18 15.93%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 21 2010, 07:21 PM   #1
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

TP: Seize the Fire by Michael A. Martin Review Thread (Spoilers!)

I've read a few posts saying that copies of Seize The Fire were being shipped, so here's this, ready to go.

I personally haven't enjoyed Martin as much since he stopped co-writing with Mangels, but I like the Gorn and the Titan crew a lot, so here's hoping.

Have there been any preview chapters or anything released yet?

Last edited by Rosalind; July 5 2012 at 11:56 AM. Reason: rename thread title
Thrawn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2010, 07:40 PM   #2
ares93
Commodore

Re: Typhon Pact: Seize The Fire review thread

That was probably me. I have yet to confirm the information. The company has not yet responded to my email. But i will know in two or three days. meanwhile here is a screenshot from the company. Google translate in spoiler box below.

I find it extremely satisfying watching Jehovah's Witnesses through my window. After all, it takes an RFID lock, a titanium enhanced fireproof door and bullet-resistant glass to keep them out of the building.

Last edited by Northern Flatfoot; November 22 2010 at 08:47 AM.
ares93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2010, 07:51 PM   #3
toughlittleship
Fleet Captain

I'm not as jazzed for Seize the Fire as I am for Rough Beasts of Empire (Zero Sum Game really laid an excellent groundwork for future DS9 novels) but I'll give this a chance.

By the way, weren't they going to be six books in the Typhon Pact series. Are the Kinshaya going to appear anywhere?
toughlittleship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2010, 08:27 PM   #4
David R. George III
Writer

Send a message via AIM to David R. George III Send a message via Yahoo to David R. George III

^ Typhon Pact had initially been conceived as a six-book series, but at some point, that got scaled back to four volumes. David Mack's Zero Sum Game features the Breen; Michael A. Martin's Seize the Fire involves the Gorn; my Rough Beasts of Empire covers the Romulans and, to a lesser extent, the Tzenkethi; and finally Dayton Ward's Paths of Disharmony deals with the Tholians. I don't believe that the Kinshaya appear.

As for Rough Beasts, I'll reiterate that it is not truly a Deep Space Nine novel. Ben Sisko features prominently in it, though. The other main character is Spock.

On Facebook
David R. George III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2010, 09:34 PM   #5
ares93
Commodore

I will never, ever, in my life, forgive Martin and Mangels for breaking up my favorite star trek couple. Mr. Mack did a so incredibly good first book that I'll probably never forgive myself if I skip something in the series because of old grudges. So I decided to put everything behind me and buy the book.
I find it extremely satisfying watching Jehovah's Witnesses through my window. After all, it takes an RFID lock, a titanium enhanced fireproof door and bullet-resistant glass to keep them out of the building.
Old November 21 2010, 10:02 PM   #6
Angstromdweller
Lieutenant

ares93 wrote: View Post
I will never, ever, in my life, forgive Martin and Mangels for breaking up my favorite star trek couple. Mr. Mack did a so incredibly good first book that I'll probably never forgive myself if I skip something in the series because of old grudges. So I decided to put everything behind me and buy the book.
For a moment there I thought you meant "Star Trek couple" as in the Martin/Mangels writer duo.

With The Romulan War in mind I am a bit anxious about how a Titan book will turnout without Mangels.
Angstromdweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2010, 10:02 PM   #7
ISS Enterprise
Rear Admiral

View ISS Enterprise's Twitter Profile

Since ZSG was apparently in book stores before the "publication date", I'll be on the lookout for Seize the Fire this week. I'll take a distraction from the unanswered questions Mack created while waiting to see if some of them are answered in Rough Beasts. Will we at least get some clue as to what a Tzenkethi looks like?

Last edited by ISS Enterprise; November 22 2010 at 01:19 AM.
ISS Enterprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2010, 10:52 PM   #8
ares93
Commodore

Angstromdweller wrote: View Post
For a moment there I thought you meant "Star Trek couple" as in the Martin/Mangels writer duo.
Nah, not that duo. Those two, I'm still pissed at. But as ye say, "deal with it". And so, that is what I'm doing. I meant Ezri and Julian btw.

On second thought though. I they hadn't completely obliterated their relationship, Star Trek: A humuból szuletünk (Star trek: From ashes we are born) and Starship Kir'Shara probably never would have existed. So I guess I owe those two big time.

Btw: The next story on my deadline list is a Kir'Shara story for the november challenge, (if i finish on time, that is.) named "House call". It wont really pave the way for the other stories, its sort of a vignette. Specifially, the first officer, the CMO and the captain.
Old November 21 2010, 11:23 PM   #9
Christopher
Writer

I meant Ezri and Julian btw.
Wasn't it an editorial decision to break them up?

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2010, 11:31 PM   #10
ares93
Commodore

Christopher wrote: View Post
I meant Ezri and Julian btw.
Wasn't it an editorial decision to break them up?
I wasn't involved, so I don't know. But I assume it wasn't. It is my understanding that the editors do their part when at least a rough draft is finished. The breakup was slowly creeping up on the reader from the beginning. The entire book was written in that way.
Old November 21 2010, 11:44 PM   #11
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

^ The DS9 narrative was heavily serialized, and much of it was planned by editor Marco Palmieri. The interviews in Voyages Of The Imagination talk about how, for instance, in the Mission: Gamma books, they planned the Gamma story but the Alpha story was already planned for them, and there were certain beats they had to hit.
Thrawn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2010, 12:30 AM   #12
shanejayell
Captain

I'll be looking forward to this one.
Old November 22 2010, 12:52 AM   #13
Christopher
Writer

It is my understanding that the editors do their part when at least a rough draft is finished.
Not in the case of Trek fiction. The editor is involved from the start of the process, either selecting writers to do projects the editor has in mind or considering pitches from writers and deciding whether or not to approve them. The editor may then suggest revisions to the outline before the manuscript is written.

And as stated above, in the case of an ongoing series like the DS9 novels, the editor's role is somewhat like that of a TV showrunner, shaping the overall flow of the storyline and guiding and coordinating the work of the various individual authors. And yes, that does mean that authors are often given certain key story points they have to include, though it's up to them to figure out how to do it.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2010, 01:30 AM   #14
TerraUnam
Commander

AIUI just because the Kinshaya were left out now doesn't mean that they can't turn up later since the Typhon Pact is the new status quo. It can always appear in the 2012 lineup or whenever an editor sees fit.

On the subject of Titan I hope for some serious Torvig story development but this one seems to focus on Tuvok. Which isn't a bad thing, but still.
Old November 22 2010, 02:26 AM   #15
Rosalind
TrekLit's Dr Rose Mod

That was probably me. I have yet to confirm the information. The company has not yet responded to my email. But i will know in two or three days. meanwhile here is a screenshot from the company. Google translate in spoiler box below.
ares93, can you crop your image down to at most 640px width as a courtesy to those who has low resolution screens or small window sizes, please? Please see the FAQ on the guidelines for posting images.

Thanks.

Last edited by Rosalind; November 22 2010 at 08:42 AM.
Rosalind is offline   Reply With Quote