Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 18 2010, 10:53 PM   #211
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: The Dark Knight to have a female villain?

Ahh...no worries then. We still need some news though

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2010, 02:31 AM   #212
the G-man
Commodore

Myasishchev wrote: View Post
Also, before I forget: if they do have Talia--and I guess it's a moot point now since Ra's was played by an Irishman....
Funny thing is: Anyone with even a rudimentary knowledge of Batman comics knows that the character is middle eastern. But if he had been played by a middle eastern actor, you'd have had CAIR and a ton of supposed "enlightened" people pitching a fit because he was perpetuating the stereotype of the middle eastern terrorist.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2010, 04:08 AM   #213
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I think we are going to need a "Dark Knight Rises" ongoing discussion thread. The big rumor right now is that Tom Hardy's role will be Dr. Hugo Strange.

Old November 19 2010, 04:11 AM   #214
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

Lack of Arabic actors (in Hollywood) of Neeson's statute might also have been a problem. I really can't name an A-list Arabic actor. Hell, the only Arabic actor I can name at all is Alex Siddig. I'd suspect there are plenty of others, but I have no idea who they are.

Twenty or thirty years ago, of course, there would have been only one rational choice: Omar Sharif. God, that would have been sweet.

Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2010, 08:16 AM   #215
Trent Roman
Rear Admiral

the G-man wrote: View Post
First off, this isn't an "all environmentalists are terrorists" argument so there's no attempt to "villify" the entire movement being made here.
That's exactly what it is. In 2005, the FBI under the directions of Bush regime labeled so-called "ecoterrorism" and the animal-rights movement "the No. 1 domestic terrorism threat" in the country. So, by this logic, hooligans like E.L.F. are a greater threat than the heavily armed, violently insular and usually supremacist (white-, Christian-, or both) organizations that riddle the country, have a declared goal of apocalyptic warfare, and have spawned mass-murderers like Timothy McVeigh. They're also a greater threat than Americans who have been radicalized to the cause of Islamic fundamentalists and seek to wage deadly jihad against their fellow citizens in imitation or alliance with organizations like Al-Qaeda, responsible for the slaughter of thousands, and have spawned mass-murderers like Major Hasan. To call such a statement an exagerration seems, itself, like a grotesque understatement. What's the reason behind this? To create the idea of an 'eco-terrorist' movement in juxtaposition with which legitimate environmentalist organizations are rendered suspect, and acts of civil disobediance rendered criminal, or leading to criminal activity; the creation of this 'eco-terrorist' discourse is how the FBI justified its now discredited schemes of domestic espionnage on organizations like Greenpeace and PETA, or placing environmental activists of no criminal background on terror watch lists. The 'eco-terrorism' you invoke of is a manufactured concept designed to suppress legitimate speech and action.

The KKK example proves that this is patently absurd. Even if the KKK doesn't kill somebody, the act of having a cross burned in someone's yard is going to be, any reasonable measure, terrifying.
We've been over this. The K.K.K. is an organization of racist maniacs dedicated to genocide with a history of murder. All their actions are statements of violence, recalled or promised, against entire populations.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman
Old November 19 2010, 02:04 PM   #216
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

I'm hearing Anne Hathaway might be Catwoman. Again, take it with a shaker of salt.
Old November 19 2010, 08:22 PM   #217
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Anne Hathaway has long been rumored for that part...even before there was any active progress on the film. I'd be fine with that if it happened.

Old November 19 2010, 09:41 PM   #218
Kegg
Rear Admiral

the G-man wrote: View Post
But if he had been played by a middle eastern actor, you'd have had CAIR and a ton of supposed "enlightened" people pitching a fit because he was perpetuating the stereotype of the middle eastern terrorist.
Even so I wouldn't be surprised if the decision to use Ra's al-Ghul at all wasn't moivated by current events.
Old November 19 2010, 09:53 PM   #219
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^ The original casting choices were Viggo Mortensen (America/ Danish), Daniel Day-Lewis (English born, Irish passport holder) and then Neeson (Irish/UK citizenship). The character originally seemed to have a French name and wavering Irish-Enghlish accent Then there was the decoy Japanese Ra's. I don't think there was ever any intent to have him be Arabic.
Old November 19 2010, 10:13 PM   #220
Garak
Nothing's for freeeeeeeee

I don't know how you can pull off Catwoman in this "Nolan grittydark universe".
Old November 19 2010, 10:21 PM   #221
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

This has already been brought up before and several examples were brought up in response, most notably the way Nolan used Joker. He took someone that shouldn't have been convincing at all and made him the main focus of everything. Every single character in "The Dark Knight" was some how effected by the Joker's plots and schemes. He took Gotham City and shook it upside down.

Selena Kyle on the other hand I could see as being a highly skilled cat burglar who likes stealing high profile museum pieces or jewelry along with other material things for her own specific agenda. She could be a socialite by day with a cosmetics company that is looking to make some kind of deal with Wayne Enterprises to boost her profile (thus this is how she meets Bruce) with a checkered past that is linked to the Falcone's and Gotham (i.e. Year One and then Catwoman in Rome). Nolan will find a way to make her work.

Old November 19 2010, 10:30 PM   #222
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Garak wrote: View Post
I don't know how you can pull off Catwoman in this "Nolan grittydark universe".
Catwoman is probably the easiest Batman villain to do in this style of Batman story. Certainly far eaiser then Ra's al-Ghul.

Why?

'Cause she's got no superpowers. When it comes down to it she's like Batman only a woman, a different choice of animal motif, and (typically) less scruples as a vigilante - the last point giving you your point of ethical contrast. Catwoman is the avenger Batman can't be. Cue ideological debates where Batman growls at at a woman in a catsuit and that's a wrap.

Definitely easier then going:
'Yes, let's do a down-to-earth Batman movie -'
'Hooray!'
'- Where he fights an immortal Arab!'
'Uh...'
Old November 19 2010, 11:45 PM   #223
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Trent Roman wrote: View Post
That's exactly what it is. In 2005, the FBI under the directions of Bush regime labeled so-called "ecoterrorism" and the animal-rights movement "the No. 1 domestic terrorism threat" in the country. So, by this logic, hooligans like E.L.F. are a greater threat than the heavily armed, violently insular and usually supremacist (white-, Christian-, or both) organizations that riddle the country, have a declared goal of apocalyptic warfare, and have spawned mass-murderers like Timothy McVeigh. They're also a greater threat than Americans who have been radicalized to the cause of Islamic fundamentalists and seek to wage deadly jihad against their fellow citizens in imitation or alliance with organizations like Al-Qaeda, responsible for the slaughter of thousands, and have spawned mass-murderers like Major Hasan. To call such a statement an exagerration seems, itself, like a grotesque understatement. What's the reason behind this? To create the idea of an 'eco-terrorist' movement in juxtaposition with which legitimate environmentalist organizations are rendered suspect, and acts of civil disobediance rendered criminal, or leading to criminal activity; the creation of this 'eco-terrorist' discourse is how the FBI justified its now discredited schemes of domestic espionnage on organizations like Greenpeace and PETA, or placing environmental activists of no criminal background on terror watch lists. The 'eco-terrorism' you invoke of is a manufactured concept designed to suppress legitimate speech and action.
Not to step in the way of your raging wrath, but Bush and co's vast overstatement of a problem for clearly political means doesn't mean such a problem doesn't exist.

Kegg wrote: View Post
Definitely easier then going:
'Yes, let's do a down-to-earth Batman movie -'
'Hooray!'
'- Where he fights an immortal Arab!'
'Uh...'
"Lie to me."
Kestrel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2010, 12:13 AM   #224
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
^ The original casting choices were Viggo Mortensen (America/ Danish), Daniel Day-Lewis (English born, Irish passport holder) and then Neeson (Irish/UK citizenship). The character originally seemed to have a French name and wavering Irish-Enghlish accent Then there was the decoy Japanese Ra's. I don't think there was ever any intent to have him be Arabic.

On a practical level, casting an Arabic-looking actor as "Ducard" would have given away the whole "decoy Ra's al Ghul" twist. I suspect that casting a European actor as the real Ra's was more a case of deliberate misdirection than political correctness.
Old November 20 2010, 03:26 AM   #225
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Captaindemotion wrote: View Post

On a practical level, casting an Arabic-looking actor as "Ducard" would have given away the whole "decoy Ra's al Ghul" twist. I suspect that casting a European actor as the real Ra's was more a case of deliberate misdirection than political correctness.
Why? Because Arabs with French names are unheard of?

Anyway, casting Liam Neeson was far more of a meta giveaway than his ethnicity. Neeson is an A-lister, or not far from it. It seemed unlikely for him to wind up Christian Bale's first-act sidekick.

Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote