Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old November 17 2010, 02:51 PM   #1
Shikarnov
Rear Admiral

Design the Next Enterprise

This just arrived in my inbox, and I thought of you guys immediately. As I didn't see (obviously) a thread on the topic, I thought I'd post:

Cryptic Studios wrote:
Design The Next Enterprise
Seriously. We're working with our friends at CBS and Intel to turn the design of the next canon Enterprise over to you, Star Trek's most dedicated fans. Just visit our special Design Hangar and submit your version of the universe's most iconic spaceship. We'll convert the best design into a ship in Star Trek Online, but that's not where it stops.

Here are the prizes available:
  • Grand Prize: Custom, STO-painted Alienware M11x laptop; STO Collector's Edition; STO Lifetime Membership; and a 3-D model of the winning design.
  • Second Prize: Alienware laptop (no custom paint job), STO Collector's Edition and an STO Lifetime Membership.
  • Third Prize: STO Collector's Edition, STO Lifetime Membership and an Intel Core i7-875k processor.
  • Fourth Prize: STO Collector's Edition and an STO Lifetime Membership.
  • Twenty-one Honorable Mentions: Standard-edition copy of STO and a Star Trek Online poster.
Assuming any of you enter the contest, I can hardly wait to see what you come up with.
Old November 17 2010, 05:13 PM   #2
The Axeman
Commodore

Re: Design the Next Enterprise

I guess they saw the competition run by Eve Online doing something very similar and thought 'hey, we could get these guys to do our job for us too'. To be honest the only problem I have with this is that it's for STO, which sucks badly. If it didn't have the Trek franchise tacked to it the game would have disappeared moments after release.

If they publish all the entries though we might get to see some nice ships, the Eve Online one got quite a few very professional models sent in. They had the advantage of a much freer hand however, limited only to 1km max size. Here we would be trying to recreate a very well known ship with a well known layout and a very well known set of design rules, making it that much tougher to come up with something original.
Old November 17 2010, 05:26 PM   #3
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

Fascinating, I guess this would be the 1701-F.
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2010, 05:51 PM   #4
BolianAuthor
Writer, Battlestar Urantia

Send a message via AIM to BolianAuthor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BolianAuthor

Funny that they would consider an STO ship to be canon.
BolianAuthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2010, 05:58 PM   #5
sojourner
Vice Admiral

^It won't be the minute the contest ends.
Old November 17 2010, 06:34 PM   #6
B.J.
Rear Admiral

I had to go searching for it, but here's the official contest web page: http://www.startrekonline.com/enterprise
I certainly hope that you don't have to be a part of STO to take part in the contest. So, think we can get Rick Sternbach or Andrew Probert to enter as well? (Or at least give us their take on it.)
Old November 17 2010, 09:23 PM   #7
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty

Apparently anyone can submit a design.

The winner will probably be the one with the design that meshes most with STO's... art direction. Urgh.
Old November 17 2010, 09:59 PM   #8
DFScott
Captain

View DFScott's Twitter Profile

I'm noticing an edit in the current version of the Web page, the word "canon" has been removed. I have a feeling whoever wrote that original material didn't know exactly what that implied.

-DF "Utah Preschooler Sues CBS For Unpaid Licensing Fees for Starship Design" Scott
Old November 17 2010, 10:29 PM   #9
lennier1
Commodore

B.J. wrote: View Post
I had to go searching for it, but here's the official contest web page: http://www.startrekonline.com/enterprise
I certainly hope that you don't have to be a part of STO to take part in the contest. So, think we can get Rick Sternbach or Andrew Probert to enter as well? (Or at least give us their take on it.)
Same here. I'd rather just have CBS pay Andrew Probert, Rick Sternbach and John Eaves to get together for a few weeks and iron something out. Partly finance the whole thing through a limited run of model kits and you're set.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
lennier1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2010, 11:27 PM   #10
BolianAuthor

Send a message via AIM to BolianAuthor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BolianAuthor

I don't consider any ships in STO as a valid part of Trek, so I doubt that anything with the name Enterprise in STO would change that. If anything, STO will finally find a way to produce an Enterprise that's uglier than the JJ-Prise.
Old November 17 2010, 11:30 PM   #11
lennier1
Commodore

BolianAuthor wrote: View Post
I don't consider any ships in STO as a valid part of Trek, so I doubt that anything with the name Enterprise in STO would change that. If anything, STO will finally find a way to produce an Enterprise that's uglier than the JJ-Prise.
Well, if we use the Titan contest as a precedent ...
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
Old November 18 2010, 12:11 AM   #12
Belisarius
Captain

Hrm. Not much fine print yet. Wondering if the design has to be "fresh" as of the start of the contest submission period, or if it can be a preexisting design in one's portfolio?

~Belisarius
---------------------------
"All life is struggle, from first breath to last."
- Anonymous
Belisarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2010, 01:59 AM   #13
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty

Yeah, it can be any design, I'll bet.

As long as you're from North America.

And no fat chicks.
Old November 18 2010, 03:17 AM   #14
BolianAuthor

lennier1 wrote: View Post
There were so many designs that were better suited for the Titan than what they ended up with... our very own Praetor's design was my favorite, and I've told him so.
Old November 18 2010, 05:04 AM   #15
lennier1
Commodore

lennier1 wrote: View Post
There were so many designs that were better suited for the Titan than what they ended up with... our very own Praetor's design was my favorite, and I've told him so.
Same here. Hopefully one day I'll get around to finishing that 3D model.