Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old November 17 2010, 05:54 AM   #91
bryce
Commodore

View bryce's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to bryce
Re: The Big Bang Theory

Nick The Munificent wrote: View Post
It's not obvious to me at all. He has no problems communicating .. it's what he communicates which interests me.
^He very, very likely has symptoms of Asperger's Syndrome - which is a high-functioning form of autism: http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/a...l_asperger.htm

(I have meet quite a few people in the science community with some form of Aspergers.)

In fact, Sheldon's character has become very popular with parents of kids with Aspergers - and TBBT has been refereed to by Slate magazine "the first autism sitcom".

Slate: Is the World Ready for an Autism Sitcom? < http://www.slate.com/id/2210635/ >

http://myfavoriteatistic.blogspot.co...ng-theory.html

Autism Goes Prime Time: The Big Bang Theory: < http://open.salon.com/blog/libertari...ig_bang_theory >

Psychology Today article on Sheldon and Aspergers: http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...ig-bang-theory

The Autistic Journalist blog article on Sheldon: http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...ig-bang-theory

The Big Bang Theory & Sheldon discussion on an autism discussion board: http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt81946.htm

^Just to name a few...just Google "The Big Bang Theory Sheldon autism Aspergers" and the list of links about the connections are pretty long...

Sheldon also pretty obviously has OCD - Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (I know, I have it myself) but like autism and Aspergers, "OCD" is never mentioned on the show by name...
bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2010, 06:10 AM   #92
Collingwood Nick
Vice Admiral

That kind of might explain why he hasn't tried to 'outthink' his quirkier behaviours .. but then again 'he' is a fictional TV character and I need to remember that TV isn't real, haha
Old November 17 2010, 10:52 AM   #93
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

It's on official record by the show producer that Sheldon has not Asperger's or any other kind of mental issues ( other than being Sheldon ).

I guess such a thing is too serious for a comedy show and his quirks are supposed to be just his character and provide material for funny scenes.. i've encountered many people with funny and/or annoying quirks but Sheldon is one cincentrated quirk.
FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2010, 04:36 PM   #94
D.W.C
Ensign

Just because someone isn't like everybody else i.e. ''normal'' (or what society defines as normal, I myself see being normal something to avoid) doesn't mean they have some mental problems. Thats the problem today too many parents and so called professionals want to blame some ''bad'' mental reason for someones behaviour and box them off into some group, just like people have done to Sheldon. Liking a place to be clean or organised is not a symptom of OCD, you just don't like living in a mess. Having a certain place you seat is not some mental problem, he points out quite clear why its the best seat for him, not liking change is no mental problem and most of the time Sheldon is right in not wanting change e.g. changing contrast levels (it takes me ages to get the tv colour just right when I first get one and its very annoying if someone changes it), and sometimes his wrong however most of the times his wrong he points it out after and corrects himself. I'm not denying he has some problems however so does everyone else e.g. alot of men (properly most depending on age) will do anything at the chance of having sex (e.g Leonard gives up the LOTR ring to have sex with his girlfriend Its his GF they've already had sex and will again), that to me is very irrational and stupid, yet is generally accepted as normal behaviour.

As the above poster points out the creators had no intention of making a character with AS or other syndromes. Their intention was obviously to make a funny character by first making him a typical ''nerd/geek'' and secondly making him stand out from the other geeks in the show.

He is purely Sheldon.

If Sheldon really has mental problems then I should get myself checked out as his the guy I most relate to in the show.
D.W.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2010, 04:58 PM   #95
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

The Sheldon character drives the series, he is the main catalyst to the humor in the episodes. The other characters and the viewer awaits his reaction to situations.
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2010, 05:24 PM   #96
gh4chiefs
Rear Admiral

As a TV character, Sheldon is funny as hell, but in real life he would be EXTREMELY annoying trying to deal with. I could not work, live with, or hang out with Sheldon for any length of time without wanting to throttle him. And I daresay most people would have that same problem.

It may not be a mental illness, but his behaviour is well beyond what I think most people would perceive as tolerable and would certainly not find his company pleasant for any extended period of time.
Old November 17 2010, 05:27 PM   #97
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

Interesting points, food for thought.
Old November 17 2010, 05:30 PM   #98
AJBryant
Fleet Captain

gh4chiefs wrote: View Post
As a TV character, Sheldon is funny as hell, but in real life he would be EXTREMELY annoying trying to deal with. I could not work, live with, or hang out with Sheldon for any length of time without wanting to throttle him. And I daresay most people would have that same problem..
That's why Howard was making a crossbow while they were at the North Pole.

I really think that they tolerate Sheldon more for Leonard's sake. I'd love to hang with Leonard, Howard, and Raj. Sheldon? Not so much.
Abba Anthony [St. Anthony the Great] said, "A time is coming when men will go mad, and when they see someone who is not mad, they will attack him, saying, 'You are mad; you are not like us.' " -- Wisdom of the Desert Fathers
AJBryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2010, 05:34 PM   #99
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

AJBryant wrote: View Post
As a TV character, Sheldon is funny as hell, but in real life he would be EXTREMELY annoying trying to deal with. I could not work, live with, or hang out with Sheldon for any length of time without wanting to throttle him. And I daresay most people would have that same problem..
That's why Howard was making a crossbow while they were at the North Pole.

I really think that they tolerate Sheldon more for Leonard's sake. I'd love to hang with Leonard, Howard, and Raj. Sheldon? Not so much.
Everyone experiences an annoying person among friends in life .
Old November 17 2010, 05:36 PM   #100
gh4chiefs
Rear Admiral

Well the fact they have Leonard putting up with Sheldon is kind of one of those "suspension of disbelief" things you have to do for the sake of the plots. Hell the way they have Leonard interact with Sheldon, it seems as if HE can barely stand Sheldon, yet he remains as his roommate.
Old November 17 2010, 05:38 PM   #101
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

Well the fact they have Leonard putting up with Sheldon is kind of one of those "suspension of disbelief" things you have to do for the sake of the plots. Hell the way they have Leonard interact with Sheldon, it seems as if HE can barely stand Sheldon, yet he remains as his roommate.
I know, in real life they probably would have went their separate ways a long time ago...
Old November 17 2010, 05:43 PM   #102
gh4chiefs
Rear Admiral

Well you know it's one thing to be annoying, but when somebody starts chopping up insects and putting them in my food, all in the name of an experiment, and further refuses to understand why that behaviour is not acceptable, then we're going to have a BIG problem.
Old November 17 2010, 06:55 PM   #103
AJBryant
Fleet Captain

If I were still in college, I'd be writing a paper for a sociology or psychology class on "Evidence of Stockholm Syndrome in 'The Big Bang Theory'."

(Any of you guys still in college, feel free to use it. I just want a copy of the finished paper for my own amusement.)
Abba Anthony [St. Anthony the Great] said, "A time is coming when men will go mad, and when they see someone who is not mad, they will attack him, saying, 'You are mad; you are not like us.' " -- Wisdom of the Desert Fathers
AJBryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2010, 03:51 AM   #104
Velocity
Rear Admiral

I think that Sheldon just tends to live in his head (he deals with theoretical physics) and that's why he doesn't always (hardly ever) relate to others or identify their needs or much of anything that doesn't affect him directly.
Old November 18 2010, 04:56 AM   #105
Collingwood Nick
Vice Admiral

I don't understand how Sheldon is annoying. He is like a walking, talking solution to every problem imaginable.

Want to start a business? He'll get one going for you.

Want to fall in love? He'll play the beta male role for you.

I swear to god people look at the guy through the wrong set of glasses. Who cares about you and 'how you feel' about his behaviour - the guy is the internet personified.

Well you know it's one thing to be annoying, but when somebody starts chopping up insects and putting them in my food, all in the name of an experiment, and further refuses to understand why that behaviour is not acceptable, then we're going to have a BIG problem.
That's very selfish. Science is bigger than you and your lunch.