The Incredible Hulk heading back to television

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JacksonArcher, Oct 15, 2010.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think there was plenty of morality in "The Incredible Hulk" it was part of the conflict that Banner had concerning his inevitable decision to become the Hulk again to stop the Abomination. I would love a live action "Planet Hulk" movie or television series, I really enjoyed the animated movie and agree that it is a good example of how both halves can have some semblance of harmony with each other.

2. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, but that was Banner. I am referring to the compassion the actual Hulk has for people, not just Betty as we saw in the Ang Lee film.

3. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Yeah, I think I Posted about this earlier in the Thread. The "no good deed goes unpunished" aspect of the Hulk's genesis has been completely ignored-- I don't know if they even remember it in the comics anymore-- but to me it's a vital aspect of the character.

4. Admiral_Young

Hulk showed some restraint in killing Abomination at the end "The Incredible Hulk" and remember that this is still a raw Hulk, who's not been active very long and Banner has not been content in letting him exist. That is the difference.

5. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I like the fact that this Hulk will be a mixture of CGI, puppetry and animatronics. Neither of the CGI movie Hulks were entirely successful for me and a totally CGI one on a tv budget would probably also not have worked. I think this is the way to go.

Oh, and Guillermo Del Toro and Eick, what's not to like?

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I dunno... I think the best approach would be something like Mr. Hyde in The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen -- a live actor in prosthetics, with greenscreen or perspective tricks used to make him look inhumanly large. I'd like to see a Hulk that can function as a character, a being with personality and emotion, while still being affordable on a TV budget. A live actor is the best way to achieve both those things.

After all, what made Lou Ferrigno effective as the Hulk wasn't just his musculature, but his personality. He made the Hulk a sympathetic figure, a sensitive innocent. But what I think a new Hulk series would need is something live-action Hulk adaptations have lacked in the past: a sentient, verbal Hulk, at least to the childlike extent usually portrayed in the comics. That's something else that would be harder to do effectively with CGI or animatronics. (I like the current Avengers cartoon's approach of giving the Hulk a characterization like he had in the earliest comics or much of the Peter David era: fully intelligent and capable of normal speech, but surly and ill-tempered. It's a nice change of pace.)

7. Captaindemotion

^ Well, the exact method they'll portray him remains unknown (to me anyway) but my basic point is that I think it's a good thing that they're departing from the methods used in the last two movies. Agreed about Ferrigno.

I guess the odds are good that Doug Jones and Ron Perlman will be involved in this series ...

8. Christopher

Hmm. Ron Perlman as the Leader? That could work. Or maybe as Gen. Ross?

9. Captaindemotion

^My thoughts exactly, both counts!

10. Admiral_Young

The casting on this is going to be definitely interesting to follow. Marvel TV is also in the midst of developing three other live action shows, "Cloak and Dagger" is reportedly one of them, the other two aren't known at this time. I suspect we'll be getting a few major announcements over the next couple of months from them. Jeph is busy :)

11. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Matthew Bomer, Jim Caviezel, John Hamm or Zachary Levi for Hulk... oh, wait... :p

12. Admiral_Young

13. Christopher

Hmm, I saw a mention elsewhere that del Toro's plans for the Hulk design do reportedly include prosthetics. Now, maybe that just means prosthetics on the Banner actor for the first stage of the transformation, but hopefully it means an actor as the Hulk.

14. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

Perlman is already on a TV show in a lead role.
    He's doing "Sons of Anarchy" over on FX.

15. Admiral_Young

As was mentioned before they're using a multitude of techniques to depict the Hulk, an actor will probably be used as well to combine the techniques.

16. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

Thank you.
    I'm glad someone brought this back too light.:bolian: