Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old November 16 2010, 04:04 AM   #16
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Re: Stupid Sets

It's the same thing in Klingonese.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2010, 06:08 AM   #17
Dukhat
Commodore

Sorry, I was being testy. It's just that it annoys me when people create an entire topic to bitch about something that's already been bitched about ad nauseum, as if they think they're the first ones to actually ever bring it up. My bad.
Old November 16 2010, 07:12 AM   #18
number6
Vice Admiral

Location: number6 has left the village through some inexpicable hole in the ground to head the corporation.

Dukhat wrote: View Post
Sorry, I was being testy. It's just that it annoys me when people create an entire topic to bitch about something that's already been bitched about ad nauseum, as if they think they're the first ones to actually ever bring it up. My bad.
There are other threads about this?
number6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2010, 08:11 AM   #19
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

I admit to being confused as to why a starship engine room from the year 2258 would need WATER tanks...
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2010, 09:43 AM   #20
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
I admit to being confused as to why a starship engine room from the year 2258 would need WATER tanks...
I just thought it was part of the reactor coolant system myself (maybe it's still a few years before plasma coolant is used).

Personally, I didn't mind the engineering set--although I do think there should have been a central control room for Scotty to work in rather than have him running all over the place. But now that I think about it, there did seem to be more a "cohesive look" between the Kelvin's bridge and its lower levels. On the Enterprise, not so much, but that may have been a lighting issue perhaps (maybe the engine room needed more lens-flare)...
Old November 16 2010, 01:57 PM   #21
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Given that some nuclear reactors are "cooled" with Natrium (liquid metal, 100° C hot)...
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2010, 03:34 PM   #22
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Apparently those early warp engines are a totally different kind of beast (I was thinking the water could be used in combination with something else as a coolant)...

Then again, maybe the water is used for something totally different--such as if environmental engineering (specifically the waste water treatment system) is located there too.
Old November 16 2010, 03:51 PM   #23
Timo
Admiral

"There, too"? One consequence of the use of the location and the resultant ship rescaling is that the ship could have whole suburbs of machinery dedicated to different things. Kirk and Scott could have beamed to a water treatment plant that was in no way related or connected to warp engineering...

On the issue of dirt roads, I'd actually consider those a nice scifi idea. It's the future, folks. Steel plates don't arrive on eighteen-wheelers any more... If they aren't transported in, they're probably flown in.

That said, I'd have liked a bit more camouflage on some of the locations used. OTOH, there was lots and lots of camouflage on the CGI sets to make them blend with the physical locations, and the end result was that the interior of the Enterprise IMHO had a very consistent feel. Save for the bridge, which probably ought to have been shot "on location" somehow, too...

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2010, 04:00 PM   #24
F. King Daniel
Admiral

The pipes are labelled "INERT REACTANT". Apparently that's not the oxymoron it appears to be.

On the other hand, Spock called the area "water turbine section 3"

I should point put that there was a very similar looking clear vertical pipe in the middle of Scotty's TAS engine room. Also, the TOS engineering room was all pipes and tanks, albeit on a much smaller scale.

Why the STXI pipe led to a huge blender, I don't know - but I LOL'd when I saw it (heck, Kirk's face was more than ).

I'm just glad they didn't spend a single second of the movie in those damn crawlways that TNG/DS9/VOY keep going back to

Last edited by F. King Daniel; November 16 2010 at 04:13 PM.
F. King Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2010, 04:03 PM   #25
Timo
Admiral

The pipes are labelled "INERT REACTANT". Apparently that's not the oxymoron it appears to be.
Sounds exactly like something you'd find in a water purification installation...

(Supposedly, it becomes less inert when it enters the purification process. But it's very nice that it stays inert the rest of the time.)

I'm just glad they didn't spend a single second of the movie in those damn crawlways thay TNG/DS9/VOY keep going back to
The fact that one can't easily find those things on shooting locations should probably tell the film crews something. Although it's probably more an issue of only set-built crawlways being filmable, whereas some real ones exist as well but cannot accommodate a camera.

Timo Saloniemi
Old November 16 2010, 04:06 PM   #26
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Timo wrote: View Post
"There, too"?
I didn't stutter. I was responding to a question of why would there be water tanks in the engine room.

Fact is, we don't know how the ship is laid out or where what is where. Kirk and Scotty could have beamed into engineering--which could encompass more than just the warp engines--or they could have beamed into environmental engineering, or even inside one of the nacelles, for all we know.

Flip a coin, though, I say it was somewhere in engineering to cover the bases...
Old November 16 2010, 04:09 PM   #27
Timo
Admiral

I didn't stutter. I was responding to a question of why would there be water tanks in the engine room.
Yeah, I know. And I hoped to emphasize the (faulty) assumption in the original question that this was "the" engine room. Just as in TOS, and just like you imply, "engineering" would be a vast entity with lots of "somewheres" within it. Not just a single location with a single function, or with multiple functions for that matter.

Timo Saloniemi
Old November 16 2010, 05:33 PM   #28
Ghost of Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Ghost of Sector 7

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Those are not water tanks. The brewery is a necessary function for producing alcohol. Alcohol fuels the ship and everyone who has used a Bunsen burner knows the color of alcohol burning is BLUE, hence the new BLUE WARP NACELLES. See, there really was a plan!

To the OP, don't let anyone scare you away. Post what you wish and someone will always respond... for better or worse.
Old November 17 2010, 02:40 AM   #29
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

Sector 7 wrote: View Post
The brewery is a necessary function for producing alcohol. Alcohol fuels the ship and everyone who has used a Bunsen burner knows the color of alcohol burning is BLUE, hence the new BLUE WARP NACELLES.
Ahhhh!!

Nice to see that BWN is still very much alive.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2010, 09:32 PM   #30
kkozoriz1
Fleet Captain

It's powered by steam. JJ saw the blooper reel of Justman shovelling coal into the engines on the TOS set.
kkozoriz1 is offline   Reply With Quote