Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old September 27 2010, 08:13 PM   #136
Sabataage
Commander

Re: RLM finally did it / Plinkett reviews Star Trek

FarStrider wrote: View Post
Sabataage wrote: View Post

Diane Lane. She's in what? her late thirties/early forties? You could easily make her younger for the birth with the right lighting and make up and then older for the rest of the movie just by accentuating the crow's feet she already has on her face. I love Winona Ryder. I grew up watching her in movies. But there are planty of actresses out there who could have played both scenes without being a distraction.
And this is different from what they did to Winona Ryder, how?? Ryder is going to be 39 in October, btw, and Lane is going to be 46 in January. . .Ryder and Quinto look like they could be related. . . I'm not sure you could say the same if Lane had been the actress playing Amanda. . .

~FS
Diane Lane was a hypothetical replacement. I'm guessing you had to look up Winona Ryder's age just then? She's holding up pretty well, I'd say. Must have be from all that running she does while shoplifting (badumptish?). For argument's sake, let's say Spock is thirty. Thirty-nine minus thirty is...

uh..

[counting on fingers]

...nine.

If Diane Lane is forty-six, she could have given birth to Spock at age... [46-30=]

SIXTEEN!, a greater and more plausible age difference between actors than NINE. Diane Lane (or another actress of similar age) is (just barely) old enough to have an adult son and is therefore more believable as Zachary Quinto's mom (and Ben Cross's wife) than Winona Ryder (who looks like an elf). But she's dead now, so it doesn't really matter anyway.
Sabataage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2010, 03:11 AM   #137
A.V.I.A.F.
Captain

I gotta tell ya, I just don't see Diane Lane in that role. Now, Meagan Fox...she would have been perfect!

I just made Lieutenant Junior Grade!
A.V.I.A.F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2010, 05:17 AM   #138
sonak
Vice Admiral

Um, Megan Fox would've been great for SOME role in the movie, but probably not that one.

Uhura's green-skinned alien roommate perhaps
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2010, 07:37 AM   #139
FarStrider
Commander

Send a message via Yahoo to FarStrider

Diane Lane. She's in what? her late thirties/early forties? You could easily make her younger for the birth with the right lighting and make up and then older for the rest of the movie just by accentuating the crow's feet she already has on her face. I love Winona Ryder. I grew up watching her in movies. But there are planty of actresses out there who could have played both scenes without being a distraction.
And this is different from what they did to Winona Ryder, how?? Ryder is going to be 39 in October, btw, and Lane is going to be 46 in January. . .Ryder and Quinto look like they could be related. . . I'm not sure you could say the same if Lane had been the actress playing Amanda. . .

~FS
Diane Lane was a hypothetical replacement. I'm guessing you had to look up Winona Ryder's age just then? She's holding up pretty well, I'd say. Must have be from all that running she does while shoplifting (badumptish?). For argument's sake, let's say Spock is thirty. Thirty-nine minus thirty is...

uh..

[counting on fingers]

...nine.

If Diane Lane is forty-six, she could have given birth to Spock at age... [46-30=]

SIXTEEN!, a greater and more plausible age difference between actors than NINE. Diane Lane (or another actress of similar age) is (just barely) old enough to have an adult son and is therefore more believable as Zachary Quinto's mom (and Ben Cross's wife) than Winona Ryder (who looks like an elf). But she's dead now, so it doesn't really matter anyway.

We may be talking at cross-purposes here. . . What does the age of an actor have to do with the age of the character that they are playing?

For instance,very rarely in do we see actual teenagers playing teens on TV. . . those actors are usually in mid-20s to early thirties. . .

Now, we are not given Amanda's age in the movie, but what we do know is, depending on the source, that Spock is one to three years older than Kirk. That means that in the movie, Spock is 26-28 when Amanda dies. . .from the deleted scene, Amanda is probably i n her late 20s or early 30s when she has Spock. . . let's give her an age range. . . if she had him at 28, she was between 54 and 56 when she died. . .if she is 32, that means she is at the most 60. . . so, the producers cast an actress who would be believable as someone in their late 20s/early 30s that could be believably aged to mid to late 50s. . . I'm really not seeing a problem here. . .

~FS
Old September 30 2010, 05:34 PM   #140
Captrek
Rear Admiral

the producers cast an actress who... could be believably aged to mid to late 50s.
Did she really appear believable as a woman in her mid to late 50s? That’s the issue of contention.
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2010, 06:27 PM   #141
FarStrider
Commander

captrek wrote: View Post
Did she really appear believable as a woman in her mid to late 50s? That’s the issue of contention.
That's up for the individual to decide. Most people didn't know it was Ryder until they were told it was her. . .I'm really beginning to think a lot of people have outdated notions of what a woman in her 50s should look like, think of it like this: in the 23rd century, where people commonly live to be 120-130 years old, 50 isn't going to be (or look) old. . .

~FS
Old September 30 2010, 08:48 PM   #142
AJBryant
Fleet Captain

"Three guys, one saucer."

Heh.
Abba Anthony [St. Anthony the Great] said, "A time is coming when men will go mad, and when they see someone who is not mad, they will attack him, saying, 'You are mad; you are not like us.' " -- Wisdom of the Desert Fathers
AJBryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2010, 08:37 PM   #143
Sabataage
Commander

We may be talking at cross-purposes here. . . What does the age of an actor have to do with the age of the character that they are playing?

For instance,very rarely in do we see actual teenagers playing teens on TV. . . those actors are usually in mid-20s to early thirties. . .

~FS
I understand that. I don't think every actor should be the same age as their character. What I'm talking about though is 'believability'. In the same a way an actor in his early thirties can be unconvincing as a teenager, an actress in aged make-up playing a middle-aged mom (when she's only a few years older than her 'son') can be distracting.

Winona Ryder is just an odd fit as Spock's mom. Ben Cross, on the other hand, actually remebles Nimoy at certain angles, and he has a scholarly presence and coldness that's perfect for Sarek. An actress closer to Ben Cross's age (63) would have been a more believable choice, in my opinion, both as his wife and Quinto's mother...

Once again though, this was a casting decision made over a year ago involving a character who was only on screen for a little under eight minutes and who will most likely never be seen again. So its not that big a deal to me.

... Ooh- ooh! [waves arms] Hang on... how about Monica Bellucci!? She's like forty-six and way hotter than Diane Lane! Too Italian? How about Helen Mirren? Too old? Annette Benning, then! She super smart and was way hot in The American President. I'll admit I have a thing for older women.
Sabataage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2010, 09:26 PM   #144
FarStrider
Commander

Her believability is something you to decide for yourself. . . like I said in the other post. . . most people didn't know it was her and had to be told. . . she looks like she could be related to Zachary Quinto, she was young enough to play someone in her late 20s, and could be aged with makeup. . . that was all that was really required of the role. . .

~FS
Old October 3 2010, 02:19 AM   #145
A.V.I.A.F.
Captain

Her believability is something you to decide for yourself. . . like I said in the other post. . . most people didn't know it was her and had to be told. . . she looks like she could be related to Zachary Quinto, she was young enough to play someone in her late 20s, and could be aged with makeup. . . that was all that was really required of the role. . .

~FS
Boom! FarStrider, you nailed it! She was cast for all those reasons, it totally works. Also, several members of the cast seemed to have been selected for their resemblance to the actors from TOS (Karl Urban totally looks like he could be related to Dee Kelley! Ben Cross and Mark Lenard also share some facial similarities pre-pointed ears). The resemblance between Winona and Jane Wyatt I found to be quite striking as well.
A.V.I.A.F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2010, 09:39 PM   #146
TedShatner10
Commodore

Re: Great Review of Latest Star Trek Movie

Bdry73 wrote: View Post
Have you heard of redlettermedia? This guy does great reviews of films.l
What great movie reviews?

Is this thread still rolling on?

Wiona Ryder was OK for her comparatively minor supporting role and she was more bearable than she was in Alien: Resurrection, but it felt bit weird, like Jeri Ryan turning up in that Mortal Kombat trailer, and she was perhaps too young.
TedShatner10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2010, 10:03 AM   #147
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

RLM is finally doing Episode 3 next. Check out his "webzone" for the excellent trailer.
Old October 9 2010, 11:26 PM   #148
The Keeper
Commodore

I wonder, could Wiona Ryder been casted, made to look younger, whichever, so that Sarek would look more of a horndog in this Universe? I like the implications of that.

Little known hit crime drama series on FX: The Bridge. It's crazy good!
The Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2010, 12:23 PM   #149
G2309
Captain

View G2309's Twitter Profile

[QUOTE=Bdry73;4432975]

~FS
It is easier for them to make a young actor look old than an old actor look young. She was meant to be shown as a young woman gving birth to Spock. It's in the deleted scenes.

http://wondersandparodies.blogspot.c...y-scripts.html
G2309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2010, 01:02 PM   #150
jimoinj
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I gotta say...I see his point that they were aiming at mainstream audiences and hypercharging everything to make it more interesting for them...and that the TNG cast did look a bit tired and weren't suited to action films... Even if they had to make this film into an action one, it wouldn't have hurt to have given it some more heart and morals. Surely action and morality are not mutually exclusive?
jimoinj is offline   Reply With Quote