Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Tech

Trek Tech Pass me the quantum flux regulator, will you?

Old November 15 2010, 12:43 AM   #1
dgguy2006
Lieutenant Junior Grade

A Theoretical Physics Question

I have an Idea for a new M.V.A.M. Starfleet vessel. This vessel will separate into 4 sub-vessels. The dorsal and ventral sections will be identical in exterior/interior design and layout. My question is: Would current Starfleet technology (as relates to environmental control) allow the ship to invert artificial gravity at the horizontal center-line? I am imagining spheroid turbo-lift cars that are capable of reorienting to the correct gravitational plane as they cross the inversion point. Therefore, when separation occurs, the twin sections (as well as their own, smaller sub-vessels) can orient on the same relative spatial plane and appear to be identical vessels. According to some capabilities of the U.S.S. Titan from the recent novels, it seems this would be possible. Thoughts?
dgguy2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2010, 12:54 AM   #2
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: A Theoretical Physics Question

I always thought the MVAM (multi vehicle assault mode) was pretty much a useless idea. When a ship breaks into a 'war machine' and 'lifeboat' that makes sense as they have two distinct functions. But breaking a ship into multiple pieces for combat just doesn't make sense. You have to crew it with multiple capable command crews to work each component when the ship is in MVAM mode. Then you have to give it multiple components (warp drive, impulse engines, phaser banks and torpedo launchers) to allow each separate entity to survive independently in the event one or more is destroyed.

Just build multiple starships.
Old November 15 2010, 12:55 AM   #3
AstroSmurf
Vice Admiral

This would probably receive more useful posts in the Trek Tech Forum.

Moving now...

“Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The bad things don’t always spoil the good things and make them unimportant.” ~ The Doctor
AstroSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2010, 12:59 AM   #4
dgguy2006
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sorry for posting to the wrong thread... Forum noobs r us...
Old November 15 2010, 01:04 AM   #5
dgguy2006
Lieutenant Junior Grade

BillJ wrote: View Post
I always thought the MVAM (multi vehicle assault mode) was pretty much a useless idea. When a ship breaks into a 'war machine' and 'lifeboat' that makes sense as they have two distinct functions. But breaking a ship into multiple pieces for combat just doesn't make sense. You have to crew it with multiple capable command crews to work each component when the ship is in MVAM mode. Then you have to give it multiple components (warp drive, impulse engines, phaser banks and torpedo launchers) to allow each separate entity to survive independently in the event one or more is destroyed.

I can certainly understand your point, and can not truly argue against it, at least under normal circumstances. However, I do feel that with a certain amount of autonomous functionality the crewing requirements would be greatly decreased. And it was my thought that, while often used in a combat setting, M.V.A.M. would be highly effective for vessels assigned to deep exploration, allowing quicker and more thorough investigative powers.
Old November 15 2010, 01:22 AM   #6
dgguy2006
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Upon further consideration, I feel that BillJ is correct. Perhaps the twin hulls could serve different purposes. One could be a survey/exploration vessel, while the other could be the "battle" section. The two smaller sub-vessels may be extraneous. Although they might serve as emergency escape vehicles, designed to house crew only, with minimal capabilities. Something to think about. Thanks for the food for thought, Bill.
Old November 15 2010, 05:05 AM   #7
dgguy2006
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Getting back to my original question: Would current Starfleet technology (as relates to environmental control) allow the ship to invert artificial gravity between one deck and the next?
Old November 15 2010, 05:12 AM   #8
JoeFromEarth
Lieutenant Commander

I don't see why not. It'd be no different than having two starships in a similar position (didn't they do something like this on Enterprise?)

Also having a ship separate into separate ships could be very useful in combat. Your giving the enemy multiple targets, plus there long-range sensors will only think one ship is in the area.
Old November 15 2010, 05:17 AM   #9
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

I was under the impression that in MVAM one or more sections were either fully or largely automated...note that both times we see MVAM initiated a specific attack pattern is specified. If the sub-ships were crewed this would seem to be unnecessary.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2010, 05:20 AM   #10
SWHouston
Commander

dgg,

I don't think it's an issue of how many components there are, but the collective mass of a vessel like that, may be a little chunky, given the redundancy of necessary equipment.

Good idea though on the Gravitational opposites, I'm thinking that when used properly, the components could separate rather quickly. Surprise, diversification and a quick attack, would be advantageous.

But all in all, Akira has that covered for the most point. It is rather simple to have a Launch Bay, and just burp out some Defiant or smaller Fighter size vessels.

So, I'd rate this...
Application: Ummm so so.
Concept: GREAT !

So, why not focus on the Concept...
What else could one do with highly controllable Gravitational Fields ?

Have a good Day !
S.W.
SWHouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2010, 06:15 AM   #11
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

dgguy2006 wrote: View Post
My question is: Would current Starfleet technology (as relates to environmental control) allow the ship to invert artificial gravity at the horizontal center-line?
As I understand the way the artificial gravity work, yes. The system pull you down onto whatever section of decking you're standing above. All the decks do not have to be parallel to each other.

BillJ2006 wrote: View Post
you have to give it multiple components (warp drive, impulse engines, phaser banks and torpedo launchers) to allow each separate entity to survive independently in the event one or more is destroyed.
Each of the four sections would possess it's own bridge, engineering, life support, medical and weapons, however all the other facilities that a starship must also possess, living quarters, flight deck, storage holds, replicators, science labs, etc. can be divided among the four sections or only be present in one section.

Where the four part MVAM ship has the advantage over four individual ships is when separated the different sections each only carry a portion of the non-combat "bulk" into battle, the four individual ships each have lug into combat everything that make for a full starship, the MVAM ship only needs everything when it's joined.

You have to crew it with multiple capable command crews to work each component when the ship is in MVAM mode.
There's no need for each section to be "fully"crewed. The MVAM ship in Voyager demonstrated that sections can perform with no crew at all and while I believe that in most separated combat scenarios there would be a command/medical/engineering/damage control crew in each section, this wouldn't always be the case. In some tactical situations two or three sections might be employed in a "suicide mode" penetrating a enemy formation without any expectation of getting all the unmanned sections back (if you do, so much the better). The various sections can most likely join with with whatever other sections survives combat directly if necessary.

Again, the different sections would usually carry a crew into battle.

T'Girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2010, 12:31 PM   #12
Timo
Admiral

Each of the four sections would possess it's own bridge, engineering, life support, medical and weapons
But the Prometheus sections apparently didn't. Only one sickbay was used and implied, and there was no crew in the sections that separated to fight the Bonchune.

Indeed, the big plus of a separating ship would be that her various components can be maintained and repaired by crew during combined flight, but can fight without risking any lives during separated flight.

Just sending out droneships from Starbase 123 would mean that they may suffer engine breakdowns en route, or may arrive with outdated intelligence and can't think smartly enough to adapt to the new circumstances. But sending these drones aboard a crewed carrier eliminates those problems - and making the drones larger than the carrier is a sensible move, because big drones with big engines and big guns are likelier to score victories.

And yeah, gravity should be freely adjustable, in direction as well as strength: we have seen that side-by-side rooms can have different gravity settings... If anything from one gee to zero gee is possible, why not from zero gee to minus one gee, too?

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2010, 07:08 PM   #13
dgguy2006
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks for all the great responses, guys! I have to rethink the mission parameters, based upon your input, though now I am thinking about a through-deck flight bay on at least one of the sections. By the way, does anyone know a good schematic artist? I will soon be scanning some penciled interior sketches that i would like to see made more professional. If you know someone that does commissions, please PM me. Thanks!
Old November 15 2010, 07:12 PM   #14
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Where the four part MVAM ship has the advantage over four individual ships is when separated the different sections each only carry a portion of the non-combat "bulk" into battle, the four individual ships each have lug into combat everything that make for a full starship, the MVAM ship only needs everything when it's joined.
This is bad math. assuming both sets of four are relative in size, they both have to carry facilities for the same amount of crew. If the MVAM ship carries 100 crew and the 4 single ships each carry 25 crew, it still adds up to facilities for 100 crew total. Now, you could make the MVAM units unequal in size. Have one be the "mother" so to speak. but in that case, just build a carrier for a couple Defiant class ships and be done with it.

MVAM as a ship design is stupid.
MVAM as a tactic is smart. (which can be achieved with any group of ships)
Old November 15 2010, 08:34 PM   #15
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
MVAM as a ship design is stupid.
Considering the "MVAM" attack by the separated Enterprise Dee upon the Borg cube in The Best of Both Worlds that resulted in the rescue of Captain Picard, apparently not all that stupid.

T'Girl is online now   Reply With Quote