RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,894
Posts: 5,476,826
Members: 25,050
Currently online: 461
Newest member: aloraptor

TrekToday headlines

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Shatner Book Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Nov 20

Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Stargate

Stargate Sir, we can't call it the Enterprise forum.

View Poll Results: Grade The Greater Good
10 Chevrons – Out of this Universe 25 42.37%
9 Chevrons – Beyond the known Galaxies 18 30.51%
8 Chevrons – In the Milky Way Galaxy 12 20.34%
7 Chevrons – Within our Solar System 2 3.39%
6 Chevrons – Can’t get past Earth (Average) 1 1.69%
5 Chevrons – No flying machines at all 1 1.69%
4 Chevrons – Pre-Industrial 0 0%
3 Chevrons – Dark Ages 0 0%
2 Chevrons – Throwing rocks and stones here 0 0%
1 Chevron – Cannot Establish Lock 0 0%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Thread Tools
Old November 11 2010, 05:44 PM   #166
Ensign_Redshirt
Commodore
 
Re: SG-U – The Greater Good - (2x07) - (Discuss – Grade | SPOILERS)

The good or noteworthy:

- A general change in the show's formula. They can now control where the ship is going.

- A possible first hint on the origin of the obilisk planet: the mysterious cosmic background noise intelligence. I just hope they're not going the "it's God!" route. Been there, done that (nuBSG).

- The Rush/Young conflict was also interesting. Young is pissed at Rush, because Rush is indirectly responsible for Sergeant Riley's death. And Rush kept Destiny's bridge a secret, because he doesn't trust Young and thinks he's a bad commander. The thing is, they're both right.

Last edited by Ensign_Redshirt; November 11 2010 at 08:44 PM.
Ensign_Redshirt is offline  
Old November 11 2010, 06:10 PM   #167
Brent
Admiral
 
Brent's Avatar
 
Location: TARDIS
Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent
Re: SG-U – The Greater Good - (2x07) - (Discuss – Grade | SPOILERS)

Personally, I think all of this should have happened in Season 1, this episode should have been the S1 finale.

Too much time was wasted doing nothing.
__________________
"Would you mind not standing on my chest? My hat's on fire." - The Doctor

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Brent is offline  
Old November 11 2010, 06:50 PM   #168
Robert Maxwell
beep
 
Location: boop
View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: SG-U – The Greater Good - (2x07) - (Discuss – Grade | SPOILERS)

I agree that this should have happened in season 1.

In fact, this is how I'd compress the series so we could get to where we are now without all the bullshit:

1x01/02 Air: two parts instead of three, as part 3 dragged a bit. We did not need an entire episode of bitching in the desert. Cut out the "water bug" subplot so we don't get "Water."
1x03 Darkness: Still worthwhile on its own terms.
1x04 Light: Dovetails nicely with "Darkness," so I'm OK with it.
1x05 Time: Keep it as-is.
1x06 Earth/Life: Compress the Earth/stone crap into a single episode.
1x07 Justice: This one was good, keep it.
1x08 Space/Divided: Remove the mutiny subplot. Focus on the alien attack and the tracking device inside Rush.
1x09 Faith: Kept only because it looks like this episode has later ramifications and it would be hard to get rid of entirely.
1x10 Lost: Yes, we got rid of "Human." It was just kind of a waste. "Lost" was excellent, though. A strong episode to go into the midseason with, though not a cliffhanger (and I think that's fine.) If we really need a cliffhanger, end with the disruption of the ship's FTL from "Sabotage."
1x11 Sabotage: Keep it. But not "Pain." No, fuck "Pain." It sucked.
1x12 Subversion: A good part 1 (of 4.)
1x13 Incursion: I'm not sure this really deserves two whole episodes. Maybe push some bits and pieces of part 2 into the next episode.
1x14 Intervention: Resolve the LA incursion. Skip "Aftermath." Other than Rush finding the bridge (which could easily happen at the end of "Intervention" or the beginning of the next episode) and killing Riley (which could be done in some other way more relevant to the story) it was not a very useful episode.
1x15 Awakening: Spend more time on the seeder ship. I wasn't sold on the silly alien storyline. Get Telford stranded on the ship, though. Interested to see how that plays out.
1x16 Pathogen: I liked this one and it had some good character work. Keep it. "Cloverdale," however, can burn in hell. Since Scott getting Chloe's blood didn't amount to anything at all, we can skip that episode entirely. "Trial and Error" was also pretty pointless, so unless the "Destiny can get in our heads!" notion ends up going somewhere, I'd be ready to discount that one, too.
1x17 The Greater Good: And here we are!
__________________
I has a blag.
Robert Maxwell is offline  
Old November 11 2010, 07:00 PM   #169
bullethead
Fleet Captain
 
bullethead's Avatar
 
Re: SG-U – The Greater Good - (2x07) - (Discuss – Grade | SPOILERS)

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
I agree that this should have happened in season 1.

In fact, this is how I'd compress the series so we could get to where we are now without all the bullshit:

1x01/02 Air: two parts instead of three, as part 3 dragged a bit. We did not need an entire episode of bitching in the desert. Cut out the "water bug" subplot so we don't get "Water."
1x03 Darkness: Still worthwhile on its own terms.
1x04 Light: Dovetails nicely with "Darkness," so I'm OK with it.
1x05 Time: Keep it as-is.
1x06 Earth/Life: Compress the Earth/stone crap into a single episode.
1x07 Justice: This one was good, keep it.
1x08 Space/Divided: Remove the mutiny subplot. Focus on the alien attack and the tracking device inside Rush.
1x09 Faith: Kept only because it looks like this episode has later ramifications and it would be hard to get rid of entirely.
1x10 Lost: Yes, we got rid of "Human." It was just kind of a waste. "Lost" was excellent, though. A strong episode to go into the midseason with, though not a cliffhanger (and I think that's fine.) If we really need a cliffhanger, end with the disruption of the ship's FTL from "Sabotage."
1x11 Sabotage: Keep it. But not "Pain." No, fuck "Pain." It sucked.
1x12 Subversion: A good part 1 (of 4.)
1x13 Incursion: I'm not sure this really deserves two whole episodes. Maybe push some bits and pieces of part 2 into the next episode.
1x14 Intervention: Resolve the LA incursion. Skip "Aftermath." Other than Rush finding the bridge (which could easily happen at the end of "Intervention" or the beginning of the next episode) and killing Riley (which could be done in some other way more relevant to the story) it was not a very useful episode.
1x15 Awakening: Spend more time on the seeder ship. I wasn't sold on the silly alien storyline. Get Telford stranded on the ship, though. Interested to see how that plays out.
1x16 Pathogen: I liked this one and it had some good character work. Keep it. "Cloverdale," however, can burn in hell. Since Scott getting Chloe's blood didn't amount to anything at all, we can skip that episode entirely. "Trial and Error" was also pretty pointless, so unless the "Destiny can get in our heads!" notion ends up going somewhere, I'd be ready to discount that one, too.
1x17 The Greater Good: And here we are!
I'd say keep Human so we get some more positive character development for Rush, then make Pain about the Blue Fish Group getting some dudes on Destiny and Greer hunting them down. Faith actually can be easily lost if we move the scenes where they discover the robot to an earlier episode, such as Space/Divided, and omit everything related to it later in order to free up time for positive character interactions.
__________________
A business man and engineer discuss how to launch a communications satellite in the 1960s:
Biz Dev Guy: Your communications satellite has to be the size, shape, and weight of a hydrogen bomb.
bullethead is offline  
Old November 11 2010, 09:58 PM   #170
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral
 
Corran Horn's Avatar
 
Location: I-L
Re: SG-U – The Greater Good - (2x07) - (Discuss – Grade | SPOILERS)

Brent wrote: View Post
Personally, I think all of this should have happened in Season 1, this episode should have been the S1 finale.

Too much time was wasted doing nothing.
Very much agreed. I like the series so far but they should have done this episode in Season 1.

Having Rush disappear right when the ship drops out of hyperspace went on too long to be believable.
__________________
"I don't drink, I don't smoke, I don't do drugs. I play video games, which I think is a far superior addiction to any of those other ones. "
Corran Horn is offline  
Old November 11 2010, 09:59 PM   #171
Robert Maxwell
beep
 
Location: boop
View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: SG-U – The Greater Good - (2x07) - (Discuss – Grade | SPOILERS)

I agree, Rush got away with his disappearing act way too many times. I'm surprised Greer never took it upon himself to tail Rush.
__________________
I has a blag.
Robert Maxwell is offline  
Old November 11 2010, 11:10 PM   #172
bullethead
Fleet Captain
 
bullethead's Avatar
 
Re: SG-U – The Greater Good - (2x07) - (Discuss – Grade | SPOILERS)

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
I agree, Rush got away with his disappearing act way too many times. I'm surprised Greer never took it upon himself to tail Rush.
Maybe Young realized that Greer should be allowed anywhere near Rush without company after Greer's rampage in Pain.
__________________
A business man and engineer discuss how to launch a communications satellite in the 1960s:
Biz Dev Guy: Your communications satellite has to be the size, shape, and weight of a hydrogen bomb.
bullethead is offline  
Old November 12 2010, 12:21 AM   #173
AJBryant
Fleet Captain
 
AJBryant's Avatar
 
Location: Indiana
Re: SG-U – The Greater Good - (2x07) - (Discuss – Grade | SPOILERS)

I just can't believe they still let that hothead LA guy walk around free even after he has so clearly threatened people.
__________________
Abba Anthony [St. Anthony the Great] said, "A time is coming when men will go mad, and when they see someone who is not mad, they will attack him, saying, 'You are mad; you are not like us.' " -- Wisdom of the Desert Fathers
AJBryant is offline  
Old November 12 2010, 01:43 AM   #174
Danny99
Vice Admiral
 
Danny99's Avatar
 
Location: Cookstown, Ontario, Canada
Re: SG-U – The Greater Good - (2x07) - (Discuss – Grade | SPOILERS)

- So after all of last week’s episode, Young is still dithering?
- Where could Eli be hiding in that room that he can fit?
- “I need to keep an eye on him” – if you had done that while he was on Destiny, you would’ve been a lot better off.
- “I can’t from here!” – you’ve been on the ship for ten seconds and you know that?
- Robert Knepper has been criminally underused.
- About time these people figured out Rush has been playing them all.
- The insane power hungry doctor and the depressed quick to anger Colonel: who do you follow?
- So Destiny’s mission is to find God?
- Brody and Volker deserve better than to be naysayers to a couch potato like Eli.
- This episode seems to me to signal the end of the petty bickering on this ship and I for one welcome this.
- And no one was guarding her door, why?
__________________
The poster previously known as canadaboy_32
Danny99 is offline  
Old November 12 2010, 11:13 AM   #175
NKemp3
Commodore
 
NKemp3's Avatar
 
Re: SG-U – The Greater Good - (2x07) - (Discuss – Grade | SPOILERS)

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
I agree that this should have happened in season 1.

In fact, this is how I'd compress the series so we could get to where we are now without all the bullshit:

1x01/02 Air: two parts instead of three, as part 3 dragged a bit. We did not need an entire episode of bitching in the desert. Cut out the "water bug" subplot so we don't get "Water."
Actually Air Part three was easily one of the best eps of season one from a story and character standpoint and one of the most impressive in terms of production values. Keep it.

If you want to get rid of anything get rid of excess Rush episodes. Far too many of those.
__________________
You will be missed, Richard Biggs
1961 - too soon
NKemp3 is offline  
Old November 12 2010, 11:16 AM   #176
NKemp3
Commodore
 
NKemp3's Avatar
 
Re: SG-U – The Greater Good - (2x07) - (Discuss – Grade | SPOILERS)

AJBryant wrote: View Post
I just can't believe they still let that hothead LA guy walk around free even after he has so clearly threatened people.
He wasn't walking around freely. He always had a guard. The last scene suggests to me he "got rid" of his guard. And to be honest up until the scene near the beginning of the episode with Ginn/Perry, he had never threatened anyone on the ship.
__________________
You will be missed, Richard Biggs
1961 - too soon
NKemp3 is offline  
Old November 12 2010, 11:22 AM   #177
NKemp3
Commodore
 
NKemp3's Avatar
 
Re: SG-U – The Greater Good - (2x07) - (Discuss – Grade | SPOILERS)

Danny99 wrote: View Post
- - Robert Knepper has been criminally underused.
That's nothing. Jamil Walker Smith has been criminally underused and he has been on every episode. This series has a problem with underusing some of its better talent.

- Brody and Volker deserve better than to be naysayers to a couch potato like Eli.
Couldn't agree more. I love those characters and perhaps that's in part because they do not come with a vocal, annoying fanbase who whine about the characters' love lives and refer to female characters who reject them as selfish b*****s. Enough of Eli and his love life.

And no one was guarding her door, why?
Because Perry was not a member of the Lucian Alliance. She was after all allowed to roam the ship freely without any escort so why would she all of a sudden have a guard at her door?
__________________
You will be missed, Richard Biggs
1961 - too soon
NKemp3 is offline  
Old November 12 2010, 12:57 PM   #178
Sparky
Commodore
 
Sparky's Avatar
 
Location: Calgary, Alberta. Canuckistan
Re: SG-U – The Greater Good - (2x07) - (Discuss – Grade | SPOILERS)

Well. Now we know why the series is called Stargate: "Universe"
Sparky is offline  
Old November 12 2010, 02:05 PM   #179
bullethead
Fleet Captain
 
bullethead's Avatar
 
Re: SG-U – The Greater Good - (2x07) - (Discuss – Grade | SPOILERS)

NKemp3 wrote: View Post
Actually Air Part three was easily one of the best eps of season one from a story and character standpoint and one of the most impressive in terms of production values. Keep it.

If you want to get rid of anything get rid of excess Rush episodes. Far too many of those.
No, it wasn't. Sure, there was some good interactions between Rush and Scott/Greer and Eli/Franklin and the dipshits, but the story was weak and uninteresting and Scott's pointless religious background makes me hate the character more than Air Part I and II did.

Oh, and Rush needs all those episodes because the writers keep trying to make him look like a villain.
__________________
A business man and engineer discuss how to launch a communications satellite in the 1960s:
Biz Dev Guy: Your communications satellite has to be the size, shape, and weight of a hydrogen bomb.
bullethead is offline  
Old November 12 2010, 03:00 PM   #180
Tek
Lieutenant Commander
 
Tek's Avatar
 
Location: Chicago
View Tek's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to Tek
Re: SG-U – The Greater Good - (2x07) - (Discuss – Grade | SPOILERS)

[QUOTE=bullethead;4523557][QUOTE=NKemp3;
Oh, and Rush needs all those episodes because the writers keep trying to make him look like a villain.[/QUOTE]


THIS!!!!
Tek is offline  
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:13 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.