Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old November 11 2010, 10:09 AM   #91
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher
Re: Tony Gilroy will direct THE BOURNE LEGACY

According to IGN a bunch of other hot young names are being bandied about for The Bourne Legacy including Chris Evans (Fantastic Four), Ryan Gosling (Half-Nelson), Tom Hardy (Inception), James McAvoy (Wanted), and Chris Pine (Star Trek).

The first thought that occurred to me is that whoever replaces Damon has an uphill battle to face. First of all, replacing Damon period is going to be difficult, not to mention carrying an action franchise that is in its fourth installment, but also having to deal with the general audience's reaction over a new actor taking over the franchise. Would any legitimate actor of worth want to step into such a complicated and potentially risky situation? Certainly all of the actors mentioned above are pretty decent actors, some that come from mostly dramatic backgrounds.

I hope that Universal can secure an actor on the caliber of Damon, but that's going to be difficult. Accepting the role automatically comes with some baggage, however I guess not as much as if you'd be literally replacing Damon as Jason Bourne. I guess playing a new character gives some leeway for an actor to do their own thing, but it's still a tough situation going into. I just hope whoever they eventually find to replace Damon is utmost and foremost a quality actor.
Old November 11 2010, 10:35 AM   #92
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Gosling might be okay, but I'd most like to see them try something a bit different, ethnicity-wise... a young black, Middle Eastern or Indian guy... someone who, unlike DiCaprio in Body of Lies, really could blend in in today's worst hot spots.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2010, 01:46 PM   #93
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Gaith wrote: View Post
Gosling might be okay, but I'd most like to see them try something a bit different, ethnicity-wise... a young black, Middle Eastern or Indian guy... someone who, unlike DiCaprio in Body of Lies, really could blend in in today's worst hot spots.
That could be interesting, but I don't see that happening unfortunately.
Old November 11 2010, 02:22 PM   #94
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Not exactly thinking outside the box, in terms of franchise appeal, are they? An ex-Fantastic Fourth, current Captain America, a Star Trekker (possible Jack Ryan too), a Wanted X-Man and a Mad Max. All well and tried stars. Only Gosling would represent any sort of departure, the way Damon did in TBI.

I also like the suggestion of an ethnic minority lead; what about Gael Garcia Bernal, who was at one stage up for the villain role in TBU?
Old November 11 2010, 03:25 PM   #95
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

James Franco's name appeals to me the most honestly.
Old November 11 2010, 03:29 PM   #96
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^ Given the acclaim he's getting for playing a man WHO CUTS HIS OWN ARM TO ESCAPE BEING TRAPPED UNDER ROCKS(!!!!!!!!!), I don't think he'll have any difficulties convincing as a gritty action hero.
Old November 11 2010, 08:45 PM   #97
Harvey
Admiral

Harvey wrote: View Post
I suppose if Franco is the type of actor they're pursuing that eliminates the possibility of a female lead? A shame.
Yeesh, no. Salt notwithstanding, a ripped martial arts expert will beat down a similarly knowledgeable ripped gal 95% of the time. Female "assets" wouldn't at all fit into the series' world.
There's more of a direction they could take a female protagonist than all that silliness. But they're obviously going for an attractive male in his 30s, so either way, it's out.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2010, 09:26 PM   #98
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

I wonder, half seriously, half facetiously, if this movie is a success, will it inspire other producers to continue franchises without the leads. Could you have a 'James Bond' movie centring on 001 -6 or 008/9? A 24 movie featuring another branch of CTU and a different lead? A movie set in Gotham, but focussing on cops (or even Nightwing?!). The likes of Indiana Jones or Jack Ryan are already set up to take this sort of step - Mutt Jones and John Clark respectively.

Still, I can't help but think of how the sequel to xXx went, when they replaced Vin Diesel with Ice Cube ...
Old November 11 2010, 09:46 PM   #99
Harvey
Admiral

I think a James Bond movie without the lead is unlikely. For that franchise, recasting has ceased to be a problem, and will continue to be the norm.

For Jack Ryan, the Rainbow Six route is already there to be exploited, if the producers want to.

But I have serious doubts as to whether this film will succeed without Matt Damon.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2010, 09:57 PM   #100
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^ I agree - as I say, my question was half facetious.
Old February 26 2011, 03:54 AM   #101
Gaith
Rear Admiral

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
That could be interesting, but I don't see that happening unfortunately.
Alas, the Archer appears to be right. The alleged line-up of possibles is whiter than a Fox Noise lineup.

It's funny - back when the project was announced, I was one of its biggest defenders here, but I now feel that it'll have to do something new to have a chance at real success. The odds of them finding another young white dude as interesting as Damon with as cool a hook as Bourne's seem slim.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2011, 01:49 PM   #102
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
Could you have a 'James Bond' movie centring on 001 -6 or 008/9?
Actually, yes. If they'd made a film about Colin Salmon's character, circa 2000-2004, maybe a little more gritty and grounded, maybe a harder rating, I'd have been all over that.

And there was some serious talk about a Michelle Yeoh movie, spinning off from Tomorrow Never Dies.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2011, 02:55 AM   #103
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

^ Oh yes! I would be for a Colin Salmon Bond movie even if he wasn't Bond himself. Out of those actors listed in that article my personal preference would be Jake Gyllenhaal. How is Tobey Maguire young though? He's 35. Jake is 30. Fassbender is 33. LOL.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2011, 01:04 PM   #104
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
Could you have a 'James Bond' movie centring on 001 -6 or 008/9?
Actually, yes. If they'd made a film about Colin Salmon's character, circa 2000-2004, maybe a little more gritty and grounded, maybe a harder rating, I'd have been all over that.

And there was some serious talk about a Michelle Yeoh movie, spinning off from Tomorrow Never Dies.
But those at least would have been about characters we'd seen onscreen and knew about. This movie seems to be about an entirely new character. Fair enough, it might work, but the likes of xXx2 or Predator 2 seem to suggest that fans don't really like changing leads in a franchise. And Matt Damon's Jason Bourne is a much harder act to follow than Vin Diesel's Xander Cage.
Old February 27 2011, 01:23 PM   #105
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Colin Salmon is a popular actor though and there was a lot of online support for him to replace Pierce Bronson as the next James Bond. He was even called in to do test shots I believe. The other movies you refer to aren't really in the same class as a Bond film or Bourne for that matter. No one is replacing Matt Damon, he doesn't want to the film after being asked and they're creating an entirely new character with established popular actors.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote