Mulgrew: Playing Red
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

IDW Publishing Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old November 8 2010, 09:39 AM   #16
ElimParra
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Big Bang Theory

John Clark wrote: View Post
ElimParra wrote: View Post
Only seen 2 episodes in season 4 so far here in Australia.
I think it only started last week here in the UK, so I'm way behind too. I think it's a fun show too
I thought it started sometime last year. You are in for one funny show.

WillsBabe wrote: View Post
I think people laugh at Sheldon because of his social inepititude.
One of my flatmates can't stand the show, as he doesn't get who Sheldon is. He must be only person I know who thinks that. Also for those who have seen my facebook profile, as I have a Sheldon t-shirt that I got in Melbourne last month.
ElimParra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2010, 01:05 AM   #17
McCoy
Commodore

Trippy wrote: View Post
He only just won the Emmy this fall. He was nominated, but didn't win last year.
Which is why I haven't caught up yet.
McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2010, 01:53 AM   #18
Velocity
Commodore

I thought Eliza Dushku acted rather strange on the show. She was all twitchy and flipping her hair.
Old November 9 2010, 02:11 AM   #19
Stiletto
Fleet Captain

This week Evil Wil Wheaton returns...
Old November 9 2010, 08:03 AM   #20
BigFoot
Admiral

^ Awesome
BigFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2010, 08:20 AM   #21
Yoda
Rear Admiral

Personally not a fan of the show. Came recommended to me by a friend... but it's just too forced and generic. It's a really generic sitcom with some geek trappings. Their idea of geekdom is pretty 'Urkel', for lack of a better word. I think a show like Chuck does a much better job with geeks, and is generally much more humorous than Big Bang

Oh, and Wil Wheaton's guest gigs prove he made the right call in leaving the full-time acting business to make software or whatever. He's terrible.
Old November 9 2010, 09:16 AM   #22
Too Much Fun
Commodore

Oh good, I didn't want to be the first to say anything negative about this show...lest I come across as a party pooper. For the most part, I liked the first three seasons, but I think the show's recent success has hurt it somewhat. It became a huge ratings winner and was moved to Thursday since that's considered a prestigious prime time slot for a TV show, and I believe this made the show's staff a bit lazier. It was never a very ambitious show in the first place, but I feel season 4 has been a lot more hackneyed than the previous seasons.

The Sheldon robot episode, for example, was one of the worst examples of cliche sitcom crap they've ever done, and really made Sheldon seem Urkelesque. There's also a lot more typical lame sitcom humour recently, and the show's connection to "Two and a Half Men" (a show I despise for its shallowness and sexism) becomes disturbingly obvious at times, with the excessive sex-related humour.

I agree about Wheaton to a degree as well. I like how the show has made him Sheldon's nemesis. It's cool just because of who he is, but his acting is pretty wooden. It's funny how after all these years, even as he sports a beard to look older, he still sounds like Wesley Crusher when he does his line readings. I don't think the guy has a lot of range. I still like the show because unlike "Two and a Half Men", it has characters I find endearing, but I'm disappointed with the drop in quality since the last season.
Too Much Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2010, 05:44 PM   #23
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

I love the show, it's so hilarious and sadly true to life. The geekiness doesn't feel fake or forced to me because I really know people just like these characters. My boyfriend is getting his PhD in Physics right now and this show comes eerily close to copying the real life atmosphere of his department and the people within. It's one of the few shows on TV that can make me laugh out loud for almost the whole half hour, it's awesome to have that again after many years of crappy sitcoms.
—T.S. Eliot
Spot's Meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2010, 05:49 PM   #24
Nerdius Maximus
Fleet Captain

Trippy wrote: View Post
I only came to the series this summer, when I picked up the season one dvd's on sale. I watched the entire season one weekend, and laughed so hard I think I built new ab muscles. I went through season two and three (bought on iTunes before the dvd's came out) within a few weeks, so I'm only watching this season as it airs for the first time.

That said, Season Four has been solid, culmanating in last weeks episode that I think has been the best so far (Sheldon and Gorn infested REM sleep? Sheldon and the shot? ) It's had the highest ratings in Canadian televison history

Not to mention, that I had like a mini-comicon with Jim, Kunal and Simon when they came to Toronto to film our entertainment show, eTalk. I managed to get backstage, and was in the background on eTalk and most media pictures, just behind Jim's left shoulder

http://www.throng.ca/live-etalk/live...ode-etalk-ever

"No Gorn...No! That's where I sit."
Nerdius Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2010, 10:51 AM   #25
alica
Lieutenant Junior Grade

A lots of fans are here for big bang theory. The show is centered around five characters and all appeared well in their characters.
alica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2010, 03:12 PM   #26
Forbin
Admiral

When Howard got into bed to, um, pleasure himself, picked up a remote control which turned on crossed lightsabers over the headboard - I think I may have actually hurt myself laughing.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2010, 03:26 PM   #27
Bird of Prey
Fleet Captain

This show is awesome. I watched a couple of episodes and got hooked right away. Picked up seasons 1-3 on sale and had a marathon to catch up to season 4.
Bird of Prey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2010, 01:20 AM   #28
DeafPoet
Rear Admiral

Eh, it's okay.

In its more inspired moments it's really funny. The rest of the time it's painfully generic and not even close to something like How I Met Your Mother.

The main problem is that the show is frequetly laughing at its characters rather than with them. I caught the premiere this year and just hated it. "Look! The nerd's fucking a robot! And his dick's stuck!" Really sophomoric and not funny at all. That's why I'm frustrated with the show. It's capable of being funny but too often they succumb to the impulse to trot out the witless dick joke. Don't get me wrong: I love dick jokes. But they have to do more than simply exist.
DeafPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2010, 04:23 PM   #29
gh4chiefs
Rear Admiral

DeafPoet wrote: View Post
. . . even close to something like How I Met Your Mother.
And we fans of TBBT thank God for that.
Old November 11 2010, 04:34 PM   #30
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

So Charelyn Yi was on Conan last night

She mentioned that she auditioned for a popular sitcom. She didn't get the humor and desperately wanted to get fired.

Apparently the show she auditioned for was The Big Bang Theory.

She mentioned the scene was heating a cup of noodles with a laser beam.
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote