RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,172
Posts: 5,344,977
Members: 24,601
Currently online: 501
Newest member: Capt_n_Admiral

TrekToday headlines

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old November 9 2010, 04:11 PM   #226
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral
 
PsychoPere's Avatar
 
Re: AMC's The Walking Dead Season 1 Discussion & Spoilers

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
And, with the racist and the key....I really wished the guy hadn't dropped it. Easy out. I really wish the guy had said, suck it, and chucked the key. I want to see people start acting like this is a world without rules. I want to see people struggling with humanity. Basically, I felt like it was an easy out, having the key fall into a whole.
This character wasn't that type of guy, but with the comics as a roadmap, the show definitely will go there.

Snaploud wrote: View Post
Some differences from the comics:
I don't remember the zombies being able to climb fences. It also seemed to be implied that they didn't move very fast (in comparison to the half-run of some of the zombies in this episode).
Also, I think the sex (between the wife and the best friend) was just a one-time even that was revealed later in the storyline.
It's been a long time since I read the opening story arcs, so I could be wrong.
All correct. As I recall, in the comics, Lori and Shane had sex one night when both were particularly depressed, rather than the apparent ongoing situation implied by the scene in this episode. Zombies definitely couldn't climb fences


Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
I thought it was a bit odd that they could hop the fence but couldn't figure out the ladder.
It did look like one of them had gotten its hands onto the rungs, but might not have been able to pull up due to the weight of the other zombies around it.

TheBrew wrote: View Post
Good news, Zomfans! TWD got renewed for a 2nd season!
It did? When?
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2010, 06:37 PM   #227
Mike Farley
Commodore
 
Mike Farley's Avatar
 
Location: Lost Vegas
Re: AMC's The Walking Dead Season 1 Discussion & Spoilers

Zombie wrote: View Post
I'm waiting to see if they do anything with that one particular Zombie that got off the bus when Rick rode by. The Zombie with the black hair and black suit. When Rick jumped up to close the hatch on the top of the tank that Zombie stood out from the crowd in the way it looked at him. There was somthing there besides thoughts of food. At least IMHO.....
He just wanted his close-up. That was Charlie Aldred, the penciller of all but the first 6 issues of the series.
Mike Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2010, 06:51 PM   #228
label
Vice Admiral
 
label's Avatar
 
Location: Indiana
Re: AMC's The Walking Dead Season 1 Discussion & Spoilers

PsychoPere wrote: View Post
Zombies definitely couldn't climb fences
I might be misremembering, but I didn't think the zombie actually got over the fence but sort of made a half-baked attempt to get over the gate, failed, and then the walkers knocked the fence down.

They certainly didn't successfully climb the ladder early in the episode either so I don't get the feeling that the zombies will be able to overcome a fence that isn't easily pulled down by the weight of the crowd.

As for the "affair" between the wife and friend........I really hope that is dealt with and over in an episode as I could sincerely less about a love triangle in the context of an apocalyptic zombie story. I didn't care for them in Lost and I certainly don't think this series will benefit from their use beyond just being an easy crutch for writers to lean on for easy story-telling.
__________________
Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof.
label is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2010, 07:05 PM   #229
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral
 
PsychoPere's Avatar
 
Re: AMC's The Walking Dead Season 1 Discussion & Spoilers

label wrote: View Post
PsychoPere wrote: View Post
Zombies definitely couldn't climb fences
I might be misremembering, but I didn't think the zombie actually got over the fence but sort of made a half-baked attempt to get over the gate, failed, and then the walkers knocked the fence down.
I had looked away from the tv screen for a few moments and when I refocused on it, the fence was down, but I suspect you're remembering correctly.

label wrote: View Post
As for the "affair" between the wife and friend........I really hope that is dealt with and over in an episode as I could sincerely less about a love triangle in the context of an apocalyptic zombie story. I didn't care for them in Lost and I certainly don't think this series will benefit from their use beyond just being an easy crutch for writers to lean on for easy story-telling.
If the tv series keeps to the comics roadmap, the affair itself (and most of Rick's reactions to it) should be over pretty quickly, though there will be some lingering effects for quite some time.


For those of us who've read the comics, where do you think this season will end, if it ends in similar comics-inspired events?
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2010, 07:55 PM   #230
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral
 
Professor Zoom's Avatar
 
Location: Idealistic
Re: AMC's The Walking Dead Season 1 Discussion & Spoilers

PsychoPere wrote: View Post
Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
And, with the racist and the key....I really wished the guy hadn't dropped it. Easy out. I really wish the guy had said, suck it, and chucked the key. I want to see people start acting like this is a world without rules. I want to see people struggling with humanity. Basically, I felt like it was an easy out, having the key fall into a whole.
This character wasn't that type of guy, but with the comics as a roadmap, the show definitely will go there.

Yeah. I know. But, what I'm really getting at: we're AHEAD of the show. I KNOW they're going there. So I would rather they get there more quickly and THEN start surprising me. Because right now, that's where I am. I'm waiting to be surprised, or shocked by their behavior.

I know people are going to start making awful choices. It's like waiting for the twist that you know is coming. I hate being ahead of shows.
__________________
Batman does not eat nachos.
Professor Zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2010, 07:58 PM   #231
the G-man
Commodore
 
the G-man's Avatar
 
Location: to your immediate right
Re: AMC's The Walking Dead Season 1 Discussion & Spoilers

Mike Farley wrote: View Post
Zombie wrote: View Post
I'm waiting to see if they do anything with that one particular Zombie that got off the bus when Rick rode by. The Zombie with the black hair and black suit. When Rick jumped up to close the hatch on the top of the tank that Zombie stood out from the crowd in the way it looked at him. There was somthing there besides thoughts of food. At least IMHO.....
He just wanted his close-up. That was Charlie Aldred, the penciller of all but the first 6 issues of the series.
You mean the one that sort of looks like a Zombie Jim Carrey?
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2010, 08:13 PM   #232
Zombie
Fleet Captain
 
Zombie's Avatar
 
Location: Frak!
Re: AMC's The Walking Dead Season 1 Discussion & Spoilers

Mike Farley wrote: View Post
Zombie wrote: View Post
I'm waiting to see if they do anything with that one particular Zombie that got off the bus when Rick rode by. The Zombie with the black hair and black suit. When Rick jumped up to close the hatch on the top of the tank that Zombie stood out from the crowd in the way it looked at him. There was somthing there besides thoughts of food. At least IMHO.....
He just wanted his close-up. That was Charlie Aldred, the penciller of all but the first 6 issues of the series.
Oh......I thought it was something important.
__________________
Wordforge says HI!
Zombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2010, 08:18 PM   #233
Zombie
Fleet Captain
 
Zombie's Avatar
 
Location: Frak!
Re: AMC's The Walking Dead Season 1 Discussion & Spoilers

label wrote: View Post
PsychoPere wrote: View Post
Zombies definitely couldn't climb fences
I might be misremembering, but I didn't think the zombie actually got over the fence but sort of made a half-baked attempt to get over the gate, failed, and then the walkers knocked the fence down.

They certainly didn't successfully climb the ladder early in the episode either so I don't get the feeling that the zombies will be able to overcome a fence that isn't easily pulled down by the weight of the crowd.
Oh they definitely climbed the gate before the weight of all the other Zombies knocked it down.

They showed at least three get up to the top and then Rick shot them down, then while they showed Glenn getting the keys to the truck (amazing lucky IMHO to find and then get the right truck) they show Rick shooting several more times. Then as they get in the truck one final Zombie jumps the gate and trys to get Glenn just as he gets in the truck. At this point the gate falls.

Maybe if a Zombie see you do it the Zombie can do it. Or attempt to do it.

Zombie see, Zombie do?

Makes some sense.

As for the "affair" between the wife and friend........I really hope that is dealt with and over in an episode as I could sincerely less about a love triangle in the context of an apocalyptic zombie story. I didn't care for them in Lost and I certainly don't think this series will benefit from their use beyond just being an easy crutch for writers to lean on for easy story-telling.
You ain't going to have to worry about that.
__________________
Wordforge says HI!
Zombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2010, 08:55 PM   #234
Cutter John
Rear Admiral
 
Cutter John's Avatar
 
Location: Beyond the wall of sleep, just south of Seattle.
Re: AMC's The Walking Dead Season 1 Discussion & Spoilers

Mike Farley wrote: View Post
Zombie wrote: View Post
I'm waiting to see if they do anything with that one particular Zombie that got off the bus when Rick rode by. The Zombie with the black hair and black suit. When Rick jumped up to close the hatch on the top of the tank that Zombie stood out from the crowd in the way it looked at him. There was somthing there besides thoughts of food. At least IMHO.....
He just wanted his close-up. That was Charlie Aldred, the penciller of all but the first 6 issues of the series.
Thanks for the explaination. I always worry when a single zombie gets an extended close up. It's probably from watching too much Romero, but it always seems thats the one zombie who seems to find the secret way in to the survivors and winds up popping up later in the film to threaten a main character (see the Hari Krishna zombie in DotD).
__________________
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2010, 11:30 PM   #235
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion
 
RJDiogenes's Avatar
 
Location: RJDiogenes of Boston
Re: AMC's The Walking Dead Season 1 Discussion & Spoilers

Servo wrote: View Post
One of the characters said that it was just a cloud burst, that they get them all the time, and it would pass pretty quick.
Yeah, they did justify it, but it still came off as a convenient plot device. They should have let it keep raining for a while.

USS Avenger wrote: View Post
I also noticed that one of the zombies was using a rock (or maybe a piece of broken pavement) to try to break through the glass doors of the department store. That use of a simple tool has me wondering just how intelligent these zombies are. Who knows what else they could figure out?
Yeah, I saw the tool-using Zombies as well. And some of them knew how to climb the fence. And some of the looks Rick and Glenn got in the street were really creepy, like the Zombies were really mulling them over.

Etched wrote: View Post
See the sweat that was coming off him? It wasn't from running. Any tank can get very hot just sitting there in the sun. Stay there too long without water or AC (and thats if the tank has one which I doubt) and he dies.
Okay, that makes perfect sense.
__________________
Please stop by my Gallery and YouTube Page for a visit. And read Trunkards!
RJDiogenes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2010, 11:54 PM   #236
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral
 
Vendikarr's Avatar
 
Location: Vendikarr
Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr
Re: AMC's The Walking Dead Season 1 Discussion & Spoilers

PsychoPere wrote: View Post
For those of us who've read the comics, where do you think this season will end, if it ends in similar comics-inspired events?
__________________
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2010, 12:11 AM   #237
Zombie
Fleet Captain
 
Zombie's Avatar
 
Location: Frak!
Re: AMC's The Walking Dead Season 1 Discussion & Spoilers

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
Yeah, I saw the tool-using Zombies as well. And some of them knew how to climb the fence. And some of the looks Rick and Glenn got in the street were really creepy, like the Zombies were really mulling them over.
Yeah the Zombies were thinking: "They look weird even for one of us but they smell like us.....their faces though look too fresh......"

__________________
Wordforge says HI!
Zombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2010, 01:31 AM   #238
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral
 
Temis the Vorta's Avatar
 
Location: Tatoinne
Re: AMC's The Walking Dead Season 1 Discussion & Spoilers

Another great episode, filled with ingenuity and gore.

The redneck guy was maybe too cliched for me, but overall they're doing great so far. Grant is now my favorite character.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2010, 01:41 AM   #239
Horta Burger
Lieutenant
 
Re: AMC's The Walking Dead Season 1 Discussion & Spoilers

This show is definitely interesting, if for no other reason than it is very different for TV . In terms of effective scenes, what stand out are:

(1) The tank scene at the end of Episode 1. Crawling under the tank seemed hopeless, then the sudden transition to the pristine interior of the tank, the close-in zombie shot, the resulting noise dislocation, then the shot of ant-like zombies around the tank from above. Visually, that was just a very well-done sequence. Very sensory.

(2) The father and son in Episode One, culminating in his inability to shoot the zombie of his wife. It was somewhat cliched but effective.

(3) Yeah, the guts-smearing thing. You just don't expect to see that on TV.

I'm curious whether they can keep this going given the one-dimensional nature of zombies, but it's surprisingly effective so far.
Horta Burger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2010, 02:05 AM   #240
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral
 
PsychoPere's Avatar
 
Re: AMC's The Walking Dead Season 1 Discussion & Spoilers

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Grant is now my favorite character.
I assume you mean Glenn.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
frank darabont, horror, robert kirkman, the walking dead, twd, zombies

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:25 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.