The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: How would you rate Zero Sum Game?
Outstanding 38 22.22%
Above Average 78 45.61%
Average 45 26.32%
Below Average 8 4.68%
Poor 2 1.17%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 9 2010, 10:57 PM   #181
Cicero
Admiral

Re: Typhon Pact: Zero Sum Game Review thread

Idoliside wrote: View Post
ares93 wrote: View Post
JoeZhang wrote: View Post

He shot some unarmed civilians in the back of the head in this story - as the ends justified the means - what is it that Section 31 does that is different from this?
did he? i don't believe i have reached that part yet then. it that is indeed the case, it changes a lot of things...

he seemed truly chocked when Sarina kills that technician or guard or whatever. does he really change that much over the course of the book?
See I found his reaction to that killing to be the most unbelievable. How many people has he seen killed infront of him during the Klingon/Dominion wars. He's always had a strong ethic but he knew the stakes of the mission and what it would take to complete.
IIRC, his concern was that the killing was unnecessary (it was also unexpected, especially from Sarina). He justified his later slaughter to himself as necessary before he began killing.
Old November 9 2010, 11:43 PM   #182
ProtoAvatar
Fleet Captain

Bashir shooting and murdering unarmed beings is wholly out of character.

Putting his weapon on the 'stun' setting was too much trouble for him? He had to expend too much effort? Also, he killed during his endgame, so the victims waking up and alerting the authorities was not a concern.
His actions robbed his victims of the chace of being saved/saving themselves - for no reason at all.

Bashir's murders have a gratuitous quality to them that completely contradicts his character as established in the series.
His actions are at exactly the same level as Section 31's: making 'tough decisions' just because one can, not because these decisions are necessary. By his killing, Bashir completely sabotaged his position towards S31, as established during DS9's run.

Last edited by ProtoAvatar; November 10 2010 at 12:01 AM.
ProtoAvatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2010, 12:08 AM   #183
elaithin
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to elaithin

Or perhaps the writers are showing just how people get led down such a treacherous road to begin with? Did you consider that?

The road to hell, after all, is paved with very good intentions.
Old November 10 2010, 12:17 AM   #184
David R. George III
Writer

Send a message via AIM to David R. George III Send a message via Yahoo to David R. George III

Rush Limborg wrote: View Post

I believe that Dr. Bashir never considers "pulling the plug" on his patient. Rather, he counsels his patient's nearest living relative that, because no hope of recovery exists, she should consider "letting him go." A subtle distinction, I agree, but an important one.

On Facebook
David R. George III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2010, 12:38 AM   #185
Supreme Dittodrone
Vice Admiral

^(frowning) I...don't fully understand....

So he wasn't counseling her to...?

"Forget it, Jake...it's Chinatown."
Supreme Dittodrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2010, 12:39 AM   #186
Supreme Dittodrone
Vice Admiral

ProtoAvatar wrote: View Post

Putting his weapon on the 'stun' setting was too much trouble for him? He had to expend too much effort? Also, he killed during his endgame, so the victims waking up and alerting the authorities was not a concern.
His actions robbed his victims of the chace of being saved/saving themselves - for no reason at all.

Bashir's murders have a gratuitous quality to them that completely contradicts his character as established in the series.
His actions are at exactly the same level as Section 31's: making 'tough decisions' just because one can, not because these decisions are necessary. By his killing, Bashir completely sabotaged his position towards S31, as established during DS9's run.
Do we even know if the stun setting would have worked?

Old November 10 2010, 12:41 AM   #187
Stephen!
Captain

I'm surprised Vaughn wasn't just killed off, unless there's some specific reason for keeping him around.
Stephen! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2010, 02:05 AM   #188
David R. George III
Writer

Send a message via AIM to David R. George III Send a message via Yahoo to David R. George III

I...don't fully understand....

So he wasn't counseling her to...?
There's a difference between doing something yourself and recommending that somebody else do it.

On Facebook
David R. George III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2010, 03:07 AM   #189
elaithin
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to elaithin

I also read it much more as concern for Prynn, as Julian seemed to feel that Vaughn was well beyond the need for it.
Old November 10 2010, 06:24 AM   #190
Supreme Dittodrone
Vice Admiral

Well, regardless--if we are going by the original Oath, it clearly states:

I will give no deadly medicine to any one if asked, nor give any such counsel...
Hippocrates, at least, seemed to make little to no distinction between the two concepts.

But even if we're not...I fail to see what the difference is really supposed to be. You're not allowed to take a life--so you advice someone else to do it for you?

Old November 10 2010, 08:24 AM   #191
ares93
Commodore

^ Rush, I dunno how it is in ST. But in RL, when the family decide to pull the plug, its actually the doctor who does it. So we can assume the it was julian who would have done it either way.

I just read the part you spoke of, JoeZhang. And to be frank i have no idea how to react. The Breen seemed more remorseful than Julian. First thing in this book i can say i hated. That was so not Julian.
I find it extremely satisfying watching Jehovah's Witnesses through my window. After all, it takes an RFID lock, a titanium enhanced fireproof door and bullet-resistant glass to keep them out of the building.
ares93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2010, 10:19 AM   #192
ProtoAvatar
Fleet Captain

ProtoAvatar wrote: View Post

Do we even know if the stun setting would have worked?
Actually, we do know this.

In this very book it is established that a breen weapon on stun will incapacitate breen soldiers in their suit.
I'm referring to how Sarina incapacitated the guards from the torture chamber by using the stun setting on a breen weapon.

Ironically, Sarina, the S31 agent, acted far more humanely than Bashir, the person who, supposedly, is fully opposed to the ruthless ways of this S31.

elaithin wrote: View Post
Or perhaps the writers are showing just how people get led down such a treacherous road to begin with? Did you consider that?

The road to hell, after all, is paved with very good intentions.
Bashir went from ~'amoral methods must not be used under any circumstances whatsoever' to gratuitously killing unarmed scientists.

He went from an extreme to the other with little or no transition, for no believable reason.

This "showing just how people get led down such a treacherous road to begin with" was poorly done.
ProtoAvatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2010, 02:31 PM   #193
Supreme Dittodrone
Vice Admiral

^Well frankly, considering how, in "Extreme Measures", he was perfectly willing to shoot Sloan unarmed--capture him without a warrrant--restrain him to a table--and use Romulan Mind Probes (read: Enhanced Interrogation Techniques) on him...somehow, I'd say him becoming more and more like one of Those People isn't quite that far fetched.

Old November 10 2010, 02:43 PM   #194
ares93
Commodore

^ still, i never thought he'd go this far.

On a sidenote. Mr. Mack! You and your cryptic endings! Why? WHY!? WHAAAAAAY!?!

Now i'm gonna go nuts until the next book is out. Whenever that will be...
I find it extremely satisfying watching Jehovah's Witnesses through my window. After all, it takes an RFID lock, a titanium enhanced fireproof door and bullet-resistant glass to keep them out of the building.
ares93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2010, 06:29 PM   #195
Supreme Dittodrone
Vice Admiral

^I know.

And again...the way he writes Ezri, and makes her so cryptic--we see Julian's reaction to their chew-out scene...but when we cut to Ezri, it's totally external, business-as-usual--we don't have any clue as to how she reacted to the whole thing.