CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old November 2 2010, 11:11 PM   #16
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Re: If you were creating a TOS Prequel, how would you do it?

I'd probably would have set it a few years after the end of the Romulan Wars and the formation of the Federation--about 2162--with Starfleet in its infancy and the founding members of the Federation not exactly getting along as well as history believed them to have been (Vulcans and Tellarites on the verge of war with neither side trusting the Andorians at all).

The Klingons would be mentioned in a passing as a violent, pre-warp race the Vulcans have encountered before, but they would not be seen in the series. Ditto for the Romulans. Instead, the big bad guys would be a race unique to the 22nd-Century, with the Orions depicted as unsavory types that could be dangerous if you get too mixed up in their business.

Rather than have stories in which the outcomes are already fairly known (such as any involving putting Earth in danger of being destroyed), I'd focus more on the characters and how much harder life was in the 22nd-Century. Earth and the Human race still bears the scars from World War III and not everyone is really thrilled with the idea of being in an alliance with aliens, nor with the idea of getting rid of money.

The ship would probably be similar in overall configuration to the NX-class--a saucer with twin warp nacelles--but it would be more rugged in appearance like the Millennium Falcon in Star Wars (she ain't pretty, but she's got it where it counts). It would be the first production ship of the Enterprising-class, the U.S.S. Frontier, NCC-101. Top speed, Warp 6. Armed with "heavy laser" cannons and plasma torpedoes. Rather than built around a submarine motiff, her interior would be more akin to that of the TOS Enterprise, but in more subdued colors. The bridge is similar to that of the TOS Enterprise as well, but smaller and slightly more cluttered in appearance.

The uniforms would be similar to ones we saw in ENT, but with the jumpsuits themselves being branch-colored--olive-green for command, burgundy for operations, and navy blue for sciences. Rank insignia would be similar to that used by today's navies with rank stripes on the lower sleeves.

Captain: Human male, 40-something, Romulan Wars veteran. Thinks Starfleet made a mistake putting him in command of an exploration ship. Considers himself more of a field soldier than an space explorer or diplomat.

First Officer & Navigator: Human male, 60-something, Romulan Wars veteran. More experienced than the captain with alien races, rumored dirty old man with the young ladies, tends to be politically incorrect but annoyingly right most of the time.

Science Officer: Andorian female, 40-something. Sexy and damn proud of it. Genius-level smarts, but balanced with an irreverent sense of humor. Spends her off-duty time trying to keep the first officer's hands off her.

Medical Officer: Human female, 40-something. The Captain's wife. Knows him better than he knows himself. Good friends with the science officer. Has a fiery temper at times when people show up in her sickbay for things that can be avoided.

Chief Engineer: Human male, 30-something. Trip. 'Nuff said.

Communications officer: Vulcan female, 20-something. T'Pol. 'Nuff said.

Security Chief: Human male, 30-something. Well-built, Marine-type guy. Romulan War veteran. Has a great sense of humor but can also kick your ass too. Good friends with both Trip and T'Pol...which could be a problem later on.

Navigator: Human male, 20-something. Fresh out of Starfleet Officer Candidate School. Young Kirk-like character.
Old November 3 2010, 05:00 AM   #17
Elvira
Vice Admiral

Anwar wrote: View Post
They wouldn't be the "Out-of-nowhere" enemy that fanon made them out to be.
Have the Human ship learn about the Romulans slowly, every second or third episode there's a new hint, another piece of the puzzle, a exploration ship disappears, a colony attacked, different species have different names for the Romulans, descriptions vary. It would take a few seasons to put all the pieces together.

By which time there will be war.
Elvira is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2010, 12:50 AM   #18
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

DarKush wrote: View Post
Though I'm intrigued with the 22nd century, the Romulan War, and the birth of the Federation, if I had my druthers, I would've set the prequel show on Robert April's Enterprise.

Regarding the look of the show, I might have 'cheated' and jazzed up the Enterprise and some of the tech to keep in line with modern sensibilities.
Ya beat me to it.

The advantages of the setting would be a familiar setting, a minimum of having to reinvent the wheel with regard to production design, and enough time between this show and TOS to have an entirely new crew. In fact, I could take my "Strange New Worlds" submission and rework it into a pilot very easily (start off with Capt. April fighting back the Klingons at Donatu V, thus earning him the command of a shiny new USS Enterprise).

Of course, it might be seen as a bit too fanwankery for casual viewers, but it's not like ENT did much better on that front, so what the hell...
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2010, 02:58 PM   #19
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Captain Robert April wrote: View Post

In fact, I could take my "Strange New Worlds" submission and rework it into a pilot very easily (start off with Capt. April fighting back the Klingons at Donatu V, thus earning him the command of a shiny new USS Enterprise).

Am I the only one that was suffering from Klingon burn-out at the time Enterprise premiered? It was the very first (and very obvious) clue that we were in for more of the same show we had been watching for the past thirteen years.
Old November 7 2010, 03:54 PM   #20
Anwar
Vice Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post

Am I the only one that was suffering from Klingon burn-out at the time Enterprise premiered?
No, you weren't.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2010, 04:28 PM   #21
Warped9
Admiral

I never come into this forum, but I admit curiousity in seeing the thread title while scrolling done the main list of forums.

I see a lot of good ideas mentioned. And while I don't agree with all of them most have the appeal of shaking things up and not just remaking TNG/VOY only with supposedly more less advanced looking tech. A key to that would be the writing. The new show should have had a genuinely fresh writing core with a fresher perspective then how Trek had been written for near twenty years. To that end it would have been nice to have gotten a fresh producer as well to get a new overall vision.

Indeed there are any number periods you could have set a prequel and all of them are equally valid---it comes down to taste and preferences. But taking the OP's initial suggestion of working strictly from TOS primarily here are some thoughts:

- If you really want something totally fresh with a chance to stand on its own then don't do an April or Pike series set on the Enterprise 1701.
- Upthread it was mentioned about the end of the 21st or early 22nd century setting---I like this because you could really make it feel raw and unfamiliar. Same if you set it just after the Romulan War or very early 23rd century.
- No UFP and no Starfleet unless you're set in the early 23rd century. If set before that than you have the United Earth Space Probe Agency and the United Space Service, both Earth centric organizations.
- No phasers, no transporters, no photon torpedoes. Very basic replication/processing to acknowledge the utilization of nanotech (which you essentially need for extended spaceflight. Rudimentary language translation tech, the predecessors to TOS' universal translator (we're working on this now so in SF you're just extending the concept).
- If set before the late 22nd or early 23rd century then no Klingons, please! They've been done to death! If in the early Starfleet days then we could see glimpses of John M. Ford's type of Klingons rather than the more familiar overdone ones. Forget about the Romulans too. I'd also use the Vulcans, Andorians and Tellarites sparingly.
- Friction with pirates and lost or failed human colonies is a good idea. Orion pirates is another good one, but keep them mysterious.
- I wouldn't have had a Vulcan crew member right off. Indeed it could easily have been an Andorian. I'd introduce them perhaps a season in to add a new dynamic after getting established.
- If setting the series post Romulan War then I'd go back to Matt Jeffries' early sketches to see if there is something in there to work from. If not then I'd try for something definately pre TOS looking in concept. maybe Masao has something on his Starfleet Museum website to start from.
- Avoid technobabble and most familiar tech references.

For myself I like an idea based on some fanfic I read awhile ago from the trek Lit forum. Use the ringship Enterprise design (suitably jazzed up because we actually have little detail about it) only set it in the early 22nd century, maybe 2105-2140. The ship is originally a United Space Service vessel, but loaned out to UESPA as a joint venture. Now you have a suitably armed ship embarking on exploration and frontier duty. Jackson Archer is a man in his forties or early fifties, essentially a soldier now in a new role. The new ship isn't his first command and he's seen people die before (although I'm using the ringship this setup could work in any era). make the ship more cramped than what we're familiar with, but there have to be some luxuries that a ship on extended deep space patrol would need for sake of the crew's psychological health.

Lean more towards the rare Earth concept so there isn't humanoid life around every corner. Make space wild and dark and dangerous again. That said you could be butting heads with unscrupulous humans, pirates, lost and failed colonies.

BillJ wrote: View Post
Am I the only one that was suffering from Klingon burn-out at the time Enterprise premiered? It was the very first (and very obvious) clue that we were in for more of the same show we had been watching for the past thirteen years.
Very much agree.
Old November 7 2010, 04:56 PM   #22
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Warped9 wrote: View Post

That said you could be butting heads with unscrupulous humans, pirates, lost and failed colonies.
I find that Terra Nova is one of my favorite episodes. Not so great in execution... but the premise behind it is excellent.
Old November 8 2010, 12:07 AM   #23
Elvira
Vice Admiral

Warped9 wrote: View Post
don't do an April or Pike series set on the Enterprise 1701.
You avoid the whole continuity thing by creating a brand new character. Plus you have the advantage of building that same character from scratch.

no Klingons, please! They've been done to death!
Yes.

you could really make it feel raw and unfamiliar
Not reusing the same alien races would be a good step in this direction, I like what TNG/DS9 did with the Klingons -- leave them out. I like what ENT did with the Vulcan and the Androians -- leave them out. In the new series do new previously unseen races. They were always there, we just never saw them.

No UFP and no Starfleet unless you're set in the early 23rd century. If set before that than you have the United Earth Space Probe Agency and the United Space Service, both Earth centric organizations.
Like the Klingons, the Federation been done to death. An Earth organization, perhaps with a very small number of foreign allies along, would have the freshness factor.

maybe Masao has something on his Starfleet Museum website to start from.
I love his stuff, adopting elements from his timeline would be a plus too.

Lean more towards the rare Earth concept so there isn't humanoid life around every corner.
Problem here is that unless it's a animated series, you're going to be using Human actors. A cgi character might be okay as a background extra, but still not for a lead or important guess star.

Old November 8 2010, 12:55 AM   #24
The Badger
Fleet Captain

This subject has come up before, and I've written a fanfic based on my ideas (I believe it may be the one that Warped9 alludes to earlier). If anyone wants to read it, it's at
http://trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=90084

But for those without the patience (what was intended as a short story grew in the telling) here are the salient points.
The United Earth Military Authority has recently fought a war against an alien race, the Axanar. Realising that the current generation of ships is inadequate for purpose, they develop a new design of warship. With costs running over budget, and construction behind schedule, UEMA is forced to ask UESPA for help. As a result of this deal the sixth ship, Enterprise, is modified for deep space exploration and placed under UESPA's command during times of peace.

The ship itself is based on the ringship design, though with a few alterations, such as warp nacelles. The inside is cramped and congested, like a submarine. Heavy hatches have to be pulled open, there are no sliding doors. Pipes and conduits run through the corridors. Originally designed before Earth got zero gravity technology, some areas are difficult to access.

The ship's armed with plasma cannons and torpedoes with atomic warheads. It's well armoured, but will need repairs if damaged. 'Re-routing the power' won't do it. ECM, counter measures and point defence systems help protect the ship.

This is an all human operation. Although aliens can, and do, occasionally join the crew, it's in a limited capacity (think weekly guest stars). Rather than artificially creating drama by having Archer bitch about how them nasty Vulcans stopped daddy building his engine, my version artificially creates drama () with a mixed crew. Some are military, others UESPA. There are even a few civilians on board. And they don't always see eye to eye.

No stun weapons, no shields, no transporters. And absolutely no Temporal Cold War!
The Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2010, 01:35 AM   #25
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

For the record, my story really doesn't have anything to do with the Klingons. Rather, it focuses on the launch and maiden voyage of the Enterprise. The Klingons are only there for historical purposes, to explain what April was doing before he took command of the Enterprise and why he merited that post in the first place. In script form, the Klingons would only be seen in the teaser, and even then, only the ships during the fight and a voice over the comm system signaling the end of the fighting. They probably wouldn't show up again for at least another ten episodes or so.
Old November 8 2010, 03:21 AM   #26
ghoyle1
Lieutenant

I wonder if there would be any legal issues involved with a Star Trek-based TV series using fan designs, such as Masao's Starfleet Museum ships? Perhaps this is why fan creations have usually been ignored on the TV shows.
ghoyle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2010, 05:34 AM   #27
Elvira
Vice Admiral

The Badger wrote: View Post
I've written a fanfic based on my ideas
I really loved you re-imagining of the Enterprise story, but I'll have to admit I finally got so sick and tired of the Polly Partridge character I stopped reading.

Can't there be a tragic air lock accident involving her?

Old November 8 2010, 05:58 AM   #28
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

^ Any relation to Ensign Mary Sue?
Old November 8 2010, 07:34 AM   #29
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

The Mission:
To explore the uncharted reaches of space, patrol the newly established Romulan Neutral Zone following the end of the Wars, and build trust and confidence between the member races of the newly formed United Federation of Planets.

The Ship:
U.S.S. Daedalus NX-150, the first ship of her class. With 230 men and women onboard, from eight different species, it is the largest and most diverse ship in the Federation fleet. A maximum speed of Warp 6.5. Fully armed with phase cannons, photonic torpedoes and experimental deflector shields.

The Crew:
Commanding Officer - Captain Jonathan Archer - Human male, mid-40s. A veteran of the Romulnan Wars, he has the recorded for the longest time spent on the frontlines. A brilliant strategist and tactician, some have questioned whether or not he is appropriate to lead an exploratory craft.

Executive / Chief Science Officer - Sub-Commander T'Pol - Vulcan female, age indeterminate. On loan from the Vulcan Science Directorate, she faces a lot of bitterness and resentment from the crew, as Vulcan never became directly involved in the Wars--for reasons they will not discuss. They did provide supplies and intelligence, but no tactical support.

Chief Engineering Officer - Lt. Commander Charles Tucker - Human male, mid-30s. A gifted engineer, he was one of the key designers on the Daedalus-Class, and Archer's only choice for CEO. He spent most of the Wars repairing ships and building new ones, his only time spent in combat was during the Battle of Sol, in which his twin sister was killed in action.

Chief Tactical Officer - Lt. Commander Thy'lek Shran - Andorian male, late-30s. A former officer of the Andorian Imperial Guard, he transferred into the newly formed Starfleet at the end of the Wars. Soft spoken, his demeanour hides a true warrior, willing to lay down his life for others.

Chief Navigation Officer - Lieutenant Ellene - Deltan female, late-20s. The beautiful, exotic and mysterious Navigator. Most of the men (and some of the women) want to be with her, but her people's Oath prohibits intimate contact with other races--even is she desires it.

Chief Helm Officer - Lieutenant JG Travis Mayweather - Human male, early-20s. A Boomer who has spent his entire life in space. He has more space hours, visited more places and witnessed more unusual things than anyone else on the crew and looks set for a very promising career in Starfleet.

Chief Communications Officer - Ensign Hoshi Sato - Human female, early-20s. A child prodigy, who displayed an uncanny talent for languages. Gaining a doctorate in xenolinguistics by the time she was 20, she decided to put her talents to use and enrolled into Starfleet. This is her first assignment into space, following a life of academia and she has a lot to learn.

Chief Security Officer - Major Malcolm Reed - Human male, early-30s. A MACO assigned to head up the security force onboard. He saw a lot of combat in the Wars, and is still suffering some of the after effects. He puts others ahead of himself and is a stickler for rules and regulations.

Chief Medical Officer - Doctor Phlox - Denobulan male, mid-50s. A dedicated and compassionate healer, following the Wars he finds himself dealing as much with emotional and psychological injuries than physical ones, but with eighteen advanced degrees under his belt, there isn't much he can't handle.
Old November 8 2010, 09:38 AM   #30
Saquist
Commodore

ghoyle1 wrote: View Post
I'm not so much interested in hearing how "Enterprise" screwed it up. What I'm interested is how you would create a show about the early days of Earth's contact with new life and new civilizations.

Think about it from the point of view of someone trying to design a TV series. Remember, if you use fan-based designs (such as the Starfleet Museum, the Franz Joseph tech manuuals, etc.), you will using someone else's intellectual property.

All you have to start from is TOS, and any elements from the later series which could logically have existed in a prequel to those series. What known aliens could be included? Would you have any alien crew members?

How would you make the technology look more "primitive" than the NCC-1701? Would transporters and deflectors exist? What kind of weaponry would you include?

What themes would you like to explore in such a series? What are some of the stories would you be able to tell (how the Prime Directive came about? Who did humans first come in contact with?)

These are just some questions and ideas to get the job rolling.
SERIES NAME Star Trek: Alliance
Ship Name- USS Olympia -MarshallClass -Crew of 35

1-I would have kept to the Star Trek canon Primarily
2-The Star Fleet Chronology would have been my best guide.
3-The ships would have been extremely primitive, functioning on High Fusion reactions and discovering impulse power. They would have resembled submarines, limited space and provisions, and extremely limited speed.
4-I would have dismissed First Contact as a disruption in the time-line. Thus using the temporal police to straighten out the conflict in a two or three part episode for the mid season without contaminating the timeline.
5. And Andorian-Vulcan War sounds good so I'll steal that from Anwar.
6. The ship would not be the main set but actually a Series of Spacestation sets that would serve as this ship's port of call as it progressed through Space.

The Series would be for only 5 Years.

Parameters
Weapons: Lasers Particle Beams and Guided Missles. Cluster Missles
Communication (Primitive subspace Comm speeds) -New Tech
Sensors (Primitive FTL scans-New Tech
ECM: Laser disruption

No shields
No Transporters
No Holodecks but holographic abilities.

This is a Military Series.
First Year- The Andorian War and various other conflicts with the Tellarites, Klingons and Thollians.

-The Eastern Coalition Terrorist would be a Midseaon 2-parter
- The Eugenics Re-Emergence would follow immediately after as a 3 parter
-Star Fleet ship Ajax goes missing.
-The First Klingon encounter happens on another ship but with a known crew member from Olympia that is sent as a xeno-diplomat for a Klingon family seeking asylum from the Empire.

The Second Year-Starts on the Destruction of Starbase One and the attempt to name the attacker and the Olympia's mission to to find them.
-Space War Games encompasses 3 episodes involving the Disastrous loss of the USS Scythe and all aboard.
-The Romulan-Vulcan secret is 3 part Episode but is never revealed to any human.
-The Pirate Conflict encompasses 5 episodes on Several planets.

The Third Year-Starts on a completely different crew of the USS Patton for 4 Episodes that encounters a Fleet of ships coming out of deep space and is destroyed getting the message to the Olympia.

-Earth needs time and Olympia is sent alone but It's Captain must first deal with one of his crew that he learns is a Eastern Coalition Terrorist and has sabotaged the ship
-Ajax comes to Olympia rescue
-The Ajax and Olympia embark on a series of Offensive manuvers and Guerrilla attacks that succeed in destroying 4 ships of the 10 ship Fleet but Ajax is destroyed in the endeavor, Olympia is Adrift without fuel and weapons

-A Series of Episodes (The Lonely Outpost) will leave the main Character ship but follow a promoted character that leads Star Fleet against what they now know is a Three Pronged attack against Sol that ends at the Battle of Cheron

-Year Four
This year is a series of Concepts
Courtmartial
Home
Healing
Allies
Treaties
Politics - This episode Threatens to cut half of Earth's Fleet and military expenditures.

It would be extremely military, showing Trek's roots. But it would be incredibly realistic, hostile and violent in the Fifth Year that would embody extreme change such as the death of multiple characters and new technology introduced by the Alliance
Saquist is offline   Reply With Quote