Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 5 2010, 03:24 PM   #151
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Re: Spider-Man movie (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Sheen is an excellent choice - I can totally hear 'With great power comes great responsibility' in his voice. Sally Field is a young-ish Aunt May but that works too.

Remember back in the day when Charlie was lobbying to land the role of Spider-man for James Cameron?!
Old November 5 2010, 03:49 PM   #152
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral

I remember it being Johnny Depp, but that was like over 15 years ago.
Obiwanshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2010, 09:17 PM   #153
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

I'm glad that Cameron movie never got made. One of the weirdest scripts I've ever read.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2010, 09:59 PM   #154
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Coincidence corner - Cliff Robertson, who played Ben in the previous movies played JFK in PT 109, the adaptation of JFK's biographical book about his WWII experiences, while Sheen famously played JFK in Kennedy, the miniseries, as well as playing RFK and, of course, Jed Bartlett.
Old November 6 2010, 04:06 AM   #155
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

I support showing a superhero's origin if that superhero has never been on the silver screen before. Otherwise, it should be barred from any future movies featuring that character. Or at least done the way it was with The Incredible Hulk. Showing Spider-Man's origin for the second time in ten years in a film is just a waste of valuable screen time.

Not helping matters if they decide to cast a 27-year-old who looks like he's 35 to play Peter Parker. Andrew Garfield might be a good actor (I wouldn't know) but it's a bad bit of casting.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2010, 08:24 AM   #156
captcalhoun
Admiral

you think AG looks 35?!

no offence, but you need to get to specsavers...
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2010, 08:55 AM   #157
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral

totally did not look 35 in The Social Network.
Obiwanshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2010, 08:56 AM   #158
Jetfire

The Spectacular Spider-Man!

All this news reminds me of the recent cartoon.
Old November 6 2010, 10:26 AM   #159
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Wow yeah DarthPipes, maybe you should maybe check him out before you judge that it's a bad bit of casting. Andrew does not look 35, and he's fantastic in "The Social Network"...in fact he's one of the most impressive parts of the film. I can't wait to see him as Peter and the first pics of the costume. I think he's going to impress and surprise a lot of fans.

Brian Bendis talks about the upcoming "Ultimate Spider-Man" cartoon in this video but also confirms that he spoke to Sony Pictures about the upcoming movie as well. I think more and more now that they're basing the movie on "Ultimate Spider-Man".

http://www.newsarama.com/common/medi....php?aid=39665

Last edited by Admiral_Young; November 6 2010 at 03:46 PM.
Old November 7 2010, 08:29 PM   #160
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

Okay, sorry, he looks like he's 30 instead. They still cast way too old and deciding to do Origin Redux with this movie is a major mistake. Why the hell can't he just be Spider-Man from the start of the film? Why are they wasting time with another origin story?

Not that I think Sam Raimi would have done another job. Between one-dimensional villains like The Sandman, pissing on the Spider-Man origin story by having Sandman kill Uncle Ben in a horribly failed attempt to add dimension to that one-dimensional character, having Peter dreadfully boring the few times he is Spider-Man, and idiotic dance sequences, I don't think the franchise would have gotten any better.

Between this and Joe Johnston turing Captain America into Captain Lukewarm American, some of the upcoming superhero movies don't look too promising.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2010, 08:45 PM   #161
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Why does everyone think they're doing an origin story again? I don't get this logic, same with Superman. Fans have to keep remembering that these movies while crafted for us are also written for a general audience who may know nothing about the comic (granted that's stretching it when it concerns Spidey) and so an origin story is at least justified if overdone. Besides we know next to nothing about the plot yet except what has been "reported" on the internet and even that isn't clear. So until we're told we're getting an origin story I suggest the origin story haters simmer down a bit.

Since no one seems to have used it, my title suggestion is "Ultimate Spider-Man"

Old November 7 2010, 09:46 PM   #162
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

DarthPipes wrote: View Post
Okay, sorry, he looks like he's 30 instead. They still cast way too old and deciding to do Origin Redux with this movie is a major mistake. Why the hell can't he just be Spider-Man from the start of the film? Why are they wasting time with another origin story?
Have you read the script or something? How do you know this will be an origin story? How do you know Uncle Ben won't just appear in flashback?
Old November 7 2010, 09:57 PM   #163
Whofan
Fleet Captain

I'm curious about the costume. I think it'll probably be somewhat different than the Raimi/Macquire version, but not by too much. Probably a few tweaks here and there, but nothing radically different. Personally, if they are going to change it a lot, make it something like the Ben Reilly or House of M versions, which update the classic but not too by too much.

One thing I would like to see is Spider-man crack more jokes, it's very much part of the character but something that was mostly missing from the Tobey movies.
Whofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2010, 06:31 AM   #164
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
DarthPipes wrote: View Post
Have you read the script or something? How do you know this will be an origin story? How do you know Uncle Ben won't just appear in flashback?
If you're only going to do the origin in flashback, you don't hire somebody of Martin Sheen's caliber to play the role of Ben Parker. Sheen is as much of a 'name' actor as guys like Willem Dafoe, Liam Neeson, Michael Caine, and Gary Oldman. If any of the characters those other actors played weren't going to have been significantly integral parts of the movies in which they appeared (Raimi's first Spider-Man movie and Batman Begins, respectively), said actors would not have been cast in said roles. You don't hire 'name' actors to play roles that don't have some significance or substance to them, and 'name' actors generally won't take 'bit parts' unless they don't care about the material and are simply looking for a paycheck. This scenario doesn't apply to any of the names I mentioned, so the casting of as big a 'name' actor as Martin Sheen is a pretty good indicator that they're going to be doing the origin in some type of linear - or semi-linear - fashion.

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2010, 07:52 AM   #165
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

Integral like Michael Caine's ten seconds or so in Inception?

In any case, just because it's a flashback doesn't mean it's short. Just ask anyone who watched Lost.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote