Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old November 7 2010, 05:34 AM   #1
PianoWizzy
Commodore

Location: PianoWizzy is working in the science research department.
View PianoWizzy's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to PianoWizzy Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to PianoWizzy Send a message via Yahoo to PianoWizzy
The Big Bang Theory

I totally had to do a double take and then my normal expression of quickly switched to an expression of , when I realized there was no topic in here for The Big Bang Theory!

I have spotted a few fans here and there on the forums and I decided to open the topic.

Welcome, discussion of the geekiest sitcom on TV!
Old November 7 2010, 10:08 AM   #2
ElimParra
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Big Bang Theory

There are many fans of the show on the board. I remember AstroSmurf use to do the weekly threads for the show a year or two ago. Quite often I see updates from many folks here on facebook. Sadly I'm still a long away behind. Only seen 2 episodes in season 4 so far here in Australia.
ElimParra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2010, 12:50 PM   #3
Mr Light
Admiral

Definitely enjoy the show. I end up seeing the episodes 1-2 weeks after they air, though.

Mr Light is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2010, 12:55 PM   #4
John Clark
Commodore

ElimParra wrote: View Post
There are many fans of the show on the board. I remember AstroSmurf use to do the weekly threads for the show a year or two ago. Quite often I see updates from many folks here on facebook. Sadly I'm still a long away behind. Only seen 2 episodes in season 4 so far here in Australia.
I think it only started last week here in the UK, so I'm way behind too. I think it's a fun show too
Old November 7 2010, 02:30 PM   #5
Yeoman Randi
Vice Admiral

I only discovered BBT this season. I am loving it (especially loved this past week's ep). I look forward to catching up with the previous seasons via the library.
Yeoman Randi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2010, 04:15 PM   #6
Trippy
NaNoWriMo Victim

View Trippy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Trippy Send a message via Yahoo to Trippy

I only came to the series this summer, when I picked up the season one dvd's on sale. I watched the entire season one weekend, and laughed so hard I think I built new ab muscles. I went through season two and three (bought on iTunes before the dvd's came out) within a few weeks, so I'm only watching this season as it airs for the first time.

That said, Season Four has been solid, culmanating in last weeks episode that I think has been the best so far (Sheldon and Gorn infested REM sleep? Sheldon and the shot? ) It's had the highest ratings in Canadian televison history

Not to mention, that I had like a mini-comicon with Jim, Kunal and Simon when they came to Toronto to film our entertainment show, eTalk. I managed to get backstage, and was in the background on eTalk and most media pictures, just behind Jim's left shoulder

http://www.throng.ca/live-etalk/live...ode-etalk-ever

LJ

LJ2
Trippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2010, 04:32 PM   #7
WillsBabe
Vice Admiral

I really enjoy this show. Only discovered it earlier this summer and we've just worked our way through the first 3 seasons. I think people laugh at Sheldon because of his social inepititude, I laugh at him because he says the things out loud that I'm saying silently in my head. The only part of the show that irritates me is in the writing where, when the geeks are talking fannish stuff to each other, they have to reference it for the audience in ways that geeks just don't do when they're talking amongst themeselve, or the way that no one does when sharing common frames of reference. That aside, it is amusing.

WillsBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2010, 05:04 PM   #8
BDJ
Lieutenant Commander

I have watch TBBT since the beginning. My DVR went on the blink one time and I MISSED an episode. I was depressed for days! I grew up with people like these guys! (well not as educated, but just as geeky! And certainly not with so many hot girls around!)
BDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2010, 05:16 PM   #9
McCoy
Commodore

I checked out the first season after Parsons won the Emmy. It's quite fun. But I haven't caught up yet.
McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2010, 05:31 PM   #10
Trippy
NaNoWriMo Victim

View Trippy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Trippy Send a message via Yahoo to Trippy

He only just won the Emmy this fall. He was nominated, but didn't win last year.

LJ

LJ2
Trippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2010, 06:18 PM   #11
FPAlpha
Vice Admiral

WillsBabe wrote: View Post
I really enjoy this show. Only discovered it earlier this summer and we've just worked our way through the first 3 seasons. I think people laugh at Sheldon because of his social inepititude, I laugh at him because he says the things out loud that I'm saying silently in my head. The only part of the show that irritates me is in the writing where, when the geeks are talking fannish stuff to each other, they have to reference it for the audience in ways that geeks just don't do when they're talking amongst themeselve, or the way that no one does when sharing common frames of reference. That aside, it is amusing.
Realities of mainstream TVs shows (even if the show is about science nerds).

I've discovered the show last year after it was on TV but passed it.. i watch too many shows as it is so i didn't bother. However once i was a little bored so said why not and started watching.

I have rarely laughed so hard and long because of a show.. it is awesome. Pitch perfect casting and chemistry, awesome jokes and themes and just immensely enjoyable.

There are some favorite episodes that i still watch regularly today:

- Panty Pinata.. Penny and Sheldon having their own little war

- The Bath Item Gift.. Sheldon getting the best christmas.. errr.. saturnalia gift he ever got

- The Adhesive Duck.. Penny getting hurt and Sheldon trying to "help" on top of the other guys having their own "60s experience" while stargazing

- The Precious Fragmentation.. LotR in the Big Bang Theory way

I look forward to each episode and was delighted when Jim Parsons won the Emmy.. totally deserved. I know it is supposed to be an ensemble cast but Parsons knocked out one hell of a character and performance that he became sort of the leading man of the show. I just hope they don't overdo it with him as the others have quite some funny stuff too.
FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2010, 11:09 PM   #12
Marten
Captain

I would call TBBT my favourite of the shows currently airing.
Marten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2010, 01:10 AM   #13
melancholymecha
Rear Admiral

I only just disovered the show this season. I dont care for sitcoms... this is the only one I can sit through. Sheldon is just too precious. I think he's what i would be like if i didnt have social anxiety & wasnt so paranoid of what people thought of me(I generally want people to like me.) The only thing that bugs me is that I think they rely too much on lame ethnic jokes for the Indian guy.
melancholymecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2010, 02:05 AM   #14
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

TBBT is my life except for the intelligence.
Old November 8 2010, 09:18 AM   #15
WillsBabe
Vice Admiral

Starbreaker wrote: View Post
TBBT is my life except for the intelligence.
Mine, too, in some ways.

Caught the episode with Michael Trucco the other day. How is he smoking in BSG but not hot in TBBT?

WillsBabe is offline   Reply With Quote