Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 3 2010, 09:33 AM   #136
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Re: AMC's The Walking Dead Season 1 Discussion & Spoilers

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
True, but there was a generator at the police station. I would have at least tried the Internet.
I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try but somehow I doubt the internet relays and cell towers would be working. Maybe if they could find a sat phone (where the hell would you find those?) they could try calling military or other states
Of course they wouldn't be working, but the idea is to show that stuff isn't working. All he did was try one landline; he didn't try a cell phone, didn't get static from a broadcast or Satellite radio, didn't watch snow on a TV, didn't get endless 'page not found' messages on the Web. All of these things would contribute to the growing knowledge that whatever has happened is widespread.

sojourner wrote: View Post
You do know the internet is more than just that box on your desk? If the phones don't work and the power in general is out, no way in hell is the internet going to be working.
No, I had no idea. I doubt if the police station uses dial up. They either have cable or a satellite dish, which are independent of the phones.
Old November 3 2010, 12:15 PM   #137
Tulin
Vice Admiral

Mark_Nguyen wrote: View Post
Tom wrote: View Post
The idea of a small island that had a town on it could be ideal. Just kill off and dispose of all zomibes and dead bodies then the island will be zomibe safe. Have strict protocols that account for everyone in the population every couple days or so, that way if someone dies they can be quickly disposed of. An island where you can farm and has a fresh water supply would be ideal. If you really needed something you can take an armed team to the mainland to get some supplies and everyone would have to checked for bites before they came back.
Max Brooks' excellent "World War Z" is set looking back ten years after mankind "won" the war on the zombie hordes and has quite a few ideas on what to do globally to adapt to a world filled with the undead:

Mark

LMAO!!!!!

I cannot be THE ONLY person that read that as "Mel Brooks'...."

Hell, if the ignorant Americans can misconstrue the wonderful Martin Freeman and MORGAN Freeman, I can do THIS!
Tulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2010, 01:04 PM   #138
Aeon
Commander

Take a guess who Max Brooks' father is.
Aeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2010, 01:08 PM   #139
Tulin
Vice Admiral

Take a guess who Martin Freeman's father is.....

Errrr.......I got nothin'.
Tulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2010, 02:45 PM   #140
RoJoHen
Awesome

You do know the internet is more than just that box on your desk? If the phones don't work and the power in general is out, no way in hell is the internet going to be working.
No, I had no idea. I doubt if the police station uses dial up. They either have cable or a satellite dish, which are independent of the phones.
But the cable and satellite companies would still need to be up and running. Even if some of the employees survived the Zombie Apocalypse, I doubt they would stay at work just to make sure the internet is running.
Old November 3 2010, 02:59 PM   #141
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

The satellite thing makes sense though because I don't know that the characters would know this isn't a regional phonemena somehow. Or maybe Europe wasn't hit or whatever. Unlikely but worth a shot of desperation.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2010, 03:03 PM   #142
RoJoHen
Awesome

Perhaps. Just because we didn't see it doesn't mean it didn't happen.
Old November 3 2010, 06:16 PM   #143
IndyJones
Vice Admiral

Tulin wrote: View Post
Hell, if the ignorant Americans...

Stay classy.
Travel's fatal to prejudice, bigotry, narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things can't be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's life.
IndyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2010, 06:27 PM   #144
sojourner
Admiral

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
True, but there was a generator at the police station. I would have at least tried the Internet.
I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try but somehow I doubt the internet relays and cell towers would be working. Maybe if they could find a sat phone (where the hell would you find those?) they could try calling military or other states
Of course they wouldn't be working, but the idea is to show that stuff isn't working. All he did was try one landline; he didn't try a cell phone, didn't get static from a broadcast or Satellite radio, didn't watch snow on a TV, didn't get endless 'page not found' messages on the Web. All of these things would contribute to the growing knowledge that whatever has happened is widespread.

Phone communications these days run over IP just like internet data. If the phones are down, most likely internet is down as well. It's all 1's and 0's.
Old November 3 2010, 11:02 PM   #145
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

If you wake up to a Zombie Apocalypse, your primary concerns are going to be finding help and getting information. You're not going to just try one random internal phone in a hospital and give up. You're going to look for other phones, for cell phones, for Blackberries, you're going to turn on TVs and radios, you're going to look for cars with XM receivers, you're going to try the Internet at the hospital, at home, at the Police Station. Like Mr. Adventure says, you'd have no idea how widespread the phenomenon is. And most people, rather than assuming that nothing works, would continue to try these things over and over no matter how many times they fail to work. It would have been to the story's advantage to show this, demonstrating vividly how serious the situation is, as well as the character's growing fear and frustration. As it is, I don't remember there being any evidence that this world even has Internet or cell phones or XM.
Old November 3 2010, 11:39 PM   #146
Zachary Smith
Vice Admiral

If you wake up to a Zombie Apocalypse, your primary concerns are going to be finding help and getting information. You're not going to just try one random internal phone in a hospital and give up. You're going to look for other phones, for cell phones, for Blackberries, you're going to turn on TVs and radios, you're going to look for cars with XM receivers, you're going to try the Internet at the hospital, at home, at the Police Station. Like Mr. Adventure says, you'd have no idea how widespread the phenomenon is. And most people, rather than assuming that nothing works, would continue to try these things over and over no matter how many times they fail to work. It would have been to the story's advantage to show this, demonstrating vividly how serious the situation is, as well as the character's growing fear and frustration. As it is, I don't remember there being any evidence that this world even has Internet or cell phones or XM.

Because watching a person try one dead phone or one dead computer after another makes for RIVETING viewing, right?

I'm happy they didn't dwell on this aspect. Everyone has been familiar with the basic initial play-out of a zombie-apocalypse since "Night of the Living Dead" in 1968. We've SEEN the origin of the event story--SEVERAL times in SEVERAL movies. Anyone familiar enough with the concept of zombies to bother tuning in has likely seen at LEAST one of these. Personally, I'm glad it was NOT rehashed here and we're able to get on to traveling some new ground.

My favorite TV show is "Cool Hand Luke Skywalker--Texas Ranger". The best episode is the one where he fights Samantha's wacky Sith Lord Uncle, Darth Arthur . . ."
Zachary Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2010, 12:24 AM   #147
RoJoHen
Awesome

Yes, if I were to actually wake up during a situation like this, I would try to contact people. How do we know he didn't? Just because we didn't see it happen doesn't mean it didn't happen. There are things in storytelling that you just don't need to elaborate on.
Old November 4 2010, 12:31 AM   #148
J.T.B.
Commodore

There seemed to be a fair amount of time compression in the scenes between him waking up and him leaving the hospital; he was a lot surer on his feet when he found the exit. He may have tried numerous computers and radios and TVs and cell phones, I don't think the viewer needs to be shown all of that. As for the storytelling, I think it was more effective how it was done, leaving the audience in the dark until the situation could be dramatically related first-hand by the survivor. Those retelling scenes were some of the best, IMO.

--Justin
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2010, 01:18 AM   #149
the G-man
Commodore

Vendikarr wrote: View Post
Cutter John wrote: View Post
I'm very curious to find out how you end a story like this. Other than the usual 'They get overrun and everyone becomes a zombie. The end.'
That would probably be true if the only way to create a zombie was to have someone infected by an existing zombie. But it is also established in the comics that

Currently, on average 146,357 people die each day. Therefore, it would appear that every day would bring at least a few tens of thousand new zombies.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2010, 01:52 AM   #150
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

the G-man wrote: View Post
Vendikarr wrote: View Post
Cutter John wrote: View Post
I'm very curious to find out how you end a story like this. Other than the usual 'They get overrun and everyone becomes a zombie. The end.'
That would probably be true if the only way to create a zombie was to have someone infected by an existing zombie. But it is also established in the comics that

Currently, on average 146,357 people die each day. Therefore, it would appear that every day would bring at least a few tens of thousand new zombies.
True. But...

"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote